BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#521 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 11:16 PM

Employ whatever written method indigenous people used. Using the Roman alphabet is colonialism at its worst.

Indigenous languages on the west coast did not have written alphabets as their knowledge was kept and transmitted orally and was passed down through knowledge keepers. The use of Latin orthography is due to SENĆOŦEN only having its writing system developed in 1978. If the writing system was being developed now, perhaps a less colonial method would be used, but it would be a significant undertaking to change now.

#522 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 11:29 PM

How totally useless.

Language is a significant part of cultural identity, so for you to state this is an extremely offensive and frankly, racist. Colonial structures attempted to eradicate Indigenous culture and language for over a century, but despite this, many of the languages are still alive and being revived. We as settlers should be supportive of our Indigenous neighbours in their efforts to reclaim their language, culture, and territory. Placenames are important indicators about what is important and valued in a society, so naming of these buildings in SENĆOŦEN is a way of acknowledging the Saanich peoples’ place in the contemporary landscape. So no, not “utterly useless”.
  • Matt R. and corvus like this

#523 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:24 AM

The term "settler" is offensive. As someone born on the west coast of Canada, I am not and never will be a settler here.

#524 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:45 AM

We as settlers should be supportive of our Indigenous neighbours ....

I'm fine with indigenous names for places around here, and I learn them, but I'm not a settler... you lost me there. My friends, and people who would like to continue a dialogue, don't put labels on me, and I don't put labels on them. The only label I choose with respect to my home... is Canadian.

If you want to call me names, we don't have enough respect for this discussion.

• Mike K., Nparker, GaryOak and 1 other like this

#525 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 02:47 PM

We as settlers should be supportive of our Indigenous neighbours in their efforts to reclaim their language, culture, and territory.

Indigenous people do not need your support, or the support of any other settlers, to reclaim their language, culture, and territory, I don't think.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#526 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 07:34 PM

Indigenous people do not need your support, or the support of any other settlers, to reclaim their language, culture, and territory, I don't think.

I think instead of teaching them a useless skill, they should be taught a trade, something that could support them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#527 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 08:41 PM

Surely they can do both, if they choose.

It’s generally good to understand your past and better appreciate your culture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#528 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 01:06 PM

Building 2 (or Sngequ House as it's now called) update as of yesterday.

IMG_8077.jpg

#529 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 03:13 PM

It's nice to know that when civil society completely breaks down, ready-made prisons will be available.

• Matt R., NinVic, IPH and 1 other like this

#530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 03:16 PM

Good grief. It’s literally a soviet interrogation bunker.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#531 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 03:53 PM

Given the Marxist views of most UVic staff and students I'd say the architecture is quite appropriate!

• Mike K., Nparker, lanforod and 2 others like this

#532 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 03:59 PM

Seams like while since you guys have lived in a dorm.
  • lanforod likes this

#533 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:24 AM

I do wonder how much LEED Gold accreditation for these buildings as well as building to passive house standards contributed to the style. Less glazing, less options in cladding, etc.

#534 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:29 AM

I don’t know how you can look at that structure and say it lifts the spirit or adds a pleasant visual change to what was there before.
  • FogPub likes this

Know it all.

#535 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:35 AM

These new residences do seem to reflect the Marxist philosophies that have taken over UVic.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#536 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:42 AM

I don’t know how you can look at that structure and say it lifts the spirit or adds a pleasant visual change to what was there before.

Well. Comparing to what was there before, its... better IMO. But what what was there before was... ewwww.

#537 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 08:10 AM

yep, pam madoff definitely should have been in charge of this one :rolleyes:

#538 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

Pretty standard, par for the course student housing IMO; Gage tower or Brock Commons @ UBC are comparables which I well remember from my grad studies. They'll never win an architectural award of course, they are built for function, rarely for form or to be especially pleasing to the eye. Lets see what this one looks like in a few years (assuming there will be plants, greenery and trees planted nearby) once they fill in and mature. A newer, taller UBC dorm such as Orchard Common is slightly better but at that it still looks like a shiny biology lab, or some glass and steel factory where they make terminators.....

When I attended UVic in the 80's the center quadrangle was pretty harsh and barren as the surrounding flora was newly planted and immature; and it looked like a place where the army could easily drill new recruits. Fast forward 40 years all those trees surrounding it have now grown and matured and the tree canopy frames the area very nicely still permitting lots of sun but also providing plenty of shade or good cover when it rains.

#539 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 April 2023 - 01:09 PM

^ absolutely. The UVic quad is fantastic (ignore the silly red chairs all over it right now).

#540 MysticalWarrior

MysticalWarrior
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 04:43 PM

A more recent image of Sngequ House from a UVic post - they recently installed the metal blinds along the main windows there and are fixing up the grounds out front. Registration for winter session opened up not too long ago also and some courses will be taking place in this new building.

1687887820090.png

Edited by MysticalWarrior, 27 June 2023 - 04:44 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users