BUILT
UVic Residences, building 1
Use: rental
Address: Ring Road at Grand Promenade
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
UVic Residence, building 1, is a nine-storey mixed-use residential and educational space complex situated sout... (view full profile)
Learn more about UVic Residences, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

University of Victoria (UVic) construction

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#81 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

I guess one of the aims of the new coffee shop is to prevent people from smuggling coffee cups onto the upper floors.

#82 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Not to derail the transit thread too much more...

MikeK mentioned that UVic had a campus plan that precluded dense housing. The document is http://web.uvic.ca/vpfin/campusplan/. I haven't read through it too carefully, but there appears to be a lot of sensitivity about not competing with local businesses on campus. I think that is very unfortunate, as it is a pretty hefty walk from UVic to any other amenities. Building local amenities would make the campus much more attractive to quality students and faculty.

The greater pubic was onboard for more density and less surface lots, but primarily for university functions. There didn't seem to be too much support for the university branching out into residential and retail.

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

I happened to be observing the university from the air the other day and it struck me how small that new addition to the library is. The footprint of the addition is maybe a bit larger than 1/4 of the old building.

#84 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

Yeah - I finally walked around inside it and was pretty surprised how small it is. The space is also rather ecclectic, in that there are lots of stairwells and landings, but not much floor space. I think a lot of the floorspace went toward offices?

I was a little disappointed, as there are beautiful views to the east from the library and a relatively large portion of them were lost.

In other Uvic news, the new math/humanities building has been open for quite a while. It looks great, though I hear the offices are bad because windows transmit sound between offices.

The new science building is being moved into next week.

#85 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

Things are slowing down up there. Support services should be done in a few months only leaving the Data Centre and First Nations House left under construction. I don't think there is anything else in the planning stages.

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

...there are beautiful views to the east from the library and a relatively large portion of them were lost.

Check out my post from September, 2006 near the beginning of this thread:

This new learning centre should have had a public area on the top floor offering views of the strait.

Sometimes I think the major difference between folks in Victoria and folks in Vancouver is that folks in Vancouver actually care about such things.

#87 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

^ Funny you should say that...

I've been on the top floor of the new Computer Sciences bldg a couple of times for lectures, and I don't recall any architectural/ design feature that lets people in on the view.

The room I was in had a tiny window ...but with unbelievable views.

Ok, it's fine if a lecture room doesn't draw attention to the view outside, but as I said, I don't think there's any other space up there where you can take it in, either.... ???
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

A glass-enclosed reading room on top of the new wing at the library would have been absolutely awesome.

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

There are some nice pictures of the new buildings in the current issue of the Torch.

#90 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

April 8, 2009
Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development
Industry Canada

$66M FOR SOUTH VANCOUVER ISLAND POST-SECONDARY RENEWAL

VICTORIA – An investment of more than $66 million from the federal and provincial governments and institutions will fund upgrades of campus buildings at the University of Victoria, Camosun College and Royal Roads University and create more than 400 direct jobs.

The Honourable Gary Lunn, MP for Saanich and the Gulf Islands and Minister Responsible for Sport, along with Murray Coell, Advanced Education and Labour Market Development Minister, and Oak Bay-Gordon Head MLA Ida Chong made the announcement today.

“Victoria's centres of higher learning are consistently recognized as some of the finest in the country, and it is fitting that we are announcing the national Knowledge Infrastructure Program at UVIC today,” said Lunn. “Today’s investments will deliver core infrastructure that will help ensure our region continues to be a leading light in preparing our youth for the jobs of tomorrow.”

This investment is part of the federal government’s two-year, $2-billion plan to repair and expand research and educational facilities at Canadian post-secondary institutions. The Knowledge Infrastructure Program is helping to provide economic stimulus and promote employment by creating jobs for engineers, architects, tradespeople and technicians. In B.C. the federal government is providing up to 50 per cent of the cost of selected projects on a cost-share basis with the Province.

“By providing half of all the funding for these projects, we’re able to keep British Columbians working while investing in facilities for our post-secondary institutions,’’ said Coell. “We’re directing our resources to where they can produce the biggest and most immediate benefits – creating jobs, stability and confidence for families, and building and renewing campus infrastructure. Provincewide these projects will create almost 3,000 direct jobs.”

UVic will receive $42.5 million for renewal of six of the oldest academic buildings on the main campus in Victoria, some of which date back to the early 1960s. Renovations to the six buildings – University Centre and the Cornett, Clearihue, Elliot, MacLaurin and Cunningham buildings – are expected to extend their useful lives, while improving safety, accessibility and updating facilities to support today’s education programs. The project is expected to get under way in May.

“The funding will allow UVic to renew research and teaching facilities in six of our oldest buildings on campus, and at the same time increase the energy efficiency and reduce the environmental footprint of that space,” said University of Victoria president Dr. David Turpin. “This will improve the teaching and research environment for students and researchers in over 40 departments, in everything from environmental science and watershed management, to graduate studies and the humanities. It also builds for the future by supporting the vital role of knowledge creation and innovation that universities play in the new economy.”

Camosun will receive $3.75 million to renovate and upgrade the welding and mechanical shop at Interurban and the dental and Young buildings as well as Dunlop House at the Lansdowne campus.

“The announced infrastructure funding will go a long way to revitalize Camosun’s aging infrastructure by helping the college address its deferred maintenance and innovation agenda,” said Dr. Liz Ashton, president of Camosun College.”

A $20 million Learning and Innovation Centre will be constructed at Royal Roads, the first new building for the university since its transition from a military college. The building will enable Royal Roads to address its need for updated and expanded teaching space. It will create a social sciences laboratory that will support research, student learning styles and other research focussed on the university’s strategic research theme of learning and innovation.

“The funding allows us to take our next big step in academic development,” said Royal Roads University president Allan Cahoon. “The new facility will allow us to serve more learners and serve them better.”

These are three of 29 projects at post-secondary institutions across the province that will break ground quickly thanks to a joint federal-provincial investment of $433 million. The total investment in these projects is $455 million, including contributions from institutions. This project is also part of an overall $14-billion capital infrastructure program supported by the Province to create jobs and vital public infrastructure in every region of B.C.

“We’re supporting projects that take action against climate change, improve our environment, give students state-of-the-art learning environments, and improve accessibility for people with disabilities,” said Chong. “As a result of this funding, students and faculty at UVic, Camosun and Royal Roads will have better facilities to learn and teach in, and the campuses will be upgraded and revitalized.”

Canada’s Economic Action Plan sets out to stimulate the Canadian economy over the next two years and to improve our long-term competitiveness through $12 billion in new infrastructure investment, which includes the $2-billion Knowledge Infrastructure Program.

For more information on the provincial government’s three-year job creation plan, visit www.gov.bc.ca/infrastructure. For more information about the Knowledge Infrastructure Program visit www.ic.gc.ca/knowledge-infrastructure.

http://www2.news.gov...0026-000770.htm

#91 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

^ That is great news....

Ok, it's fine if a lecture room doesn't draw attention to the view outside, but as I said, I don't think there's any other space up there where you can take it in, either.... ???

The new Bob Wright centre has great views onto Haro St with SJ island and Mt Baker in the background if you hike up to the 4th or 5th floor.

#92 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Vancouver Island construction poised to boom
By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
June 10, 2009 6:10 AM

Construction work is starting now that Vancouver Island universities and colleges are gearing up for more than $100 million worth of projects that will create hundreds of jobs.

Tenders are to be posted to upgrade old buildings and construct new ones.

Federal and provincial infrastructure funding to stimulate the economy, along with money from other sources, is driving the construction push.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...0776/story.html

#93 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

This is good because the Young building could use some work.

#94 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Construction should be getting underway in the not so distant future on a new 6 story concrete structure residence at UVIC approx. 36 000 sq ft.

Knight Contracting has been tendered the project beating out approx. 10 other contractors, including local heavyweights Farmer and Campbell, and UVIC regulars Stuart Olsen and Kinetic as well as several others firms. A couple years ago you'd maybe see 4 companies bidding, now between all companies bids ranged between the low 7 million to the mid 10 million range.

#95 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Construction should be getting underway in the not so distant future on a new 6 story concrete structure residence at UVIC approx. 36 000 sq ft.

Knight Contracting has been tendered the project beating out approx. 10 other contractors, including local heavyweights Farmer and Campbell, and UVIC regulars Stuart Olsen and Kinetic as well as several others firms. A couple years ago you'd maybe see 4 companies bidding, now between all companies bids ranged between the low 7 million to the mid 10 million range.

you're kidding - a $3 million difference? Are we looking at down bids to keep staffing? and I question potential quality of the building with low bids.

Prime example of how bizarre the construction economy has become.

Thanks for posting that.

#96 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

you're kidding - a $3 million difference? Are we looking at down bids to keep staffing? and I question potential quality of the building with low bids.

Prime example of how bizarre the construction economy has become.

Thanks for posting that.

If we're looking at low bids to keep staffing, I'd question who Knight is trying to keep? They have nothing going on aside from this now. The highest bidder was a heavy hitter.

Ultimately what you see here is a non-union company who will end up paying its low end employee's on the very low scale. Knight is reputable, its been around for years, like any company its had its hiccups, but this is nothing that its management can't handle. And by the looks of the books, last time I was down at Farmer or Campbell's offices and/or sites for that matter won't be hard to fill within a month or two.

There is nothing bizarre about this, what was bizarre was the last couple years of boom and cost-plus bids/contracts. You now have set cost contracts and contractors can't go willy nilly in spending and material usage. Tight cost-controls will be brought in to keep jobs under budget and provide profits for the companies. What this means is gone are the days of excess, and lazy employees, here at least for a while are hopefully tightly run ships with hard working employees, it should also help reduce overall construction costs.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

UVic from atop Mt. Tolmie

(July 14, 2009)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#98 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

This has started, and you will all be thrilled to know that they are using a crane.

#99 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

Nearing completion at UVic is the First Peoples House. The glass, wood, and low sloping roof are characteristic of the west-coast contemporary style:

The west end has a stormwater retention pond, with a bridge over it. Some may call it a "moat":

There are two wood carvings at the main entrance:

#100 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

where else can i put this? it's by uvic president david turpin & history prof eric sager:

Universities will play vital role in driving B.C.'s recovery
British Columbia is caught in the gales of a global economic storm. How can we position ourselves for recovery and future success? How can we make short-term actions consistent with our long-term goal of social, economic and cultural prosperity?

By The Vancouver Sun
September 18, 2009

British Columbia is caught in the gales of a global economic storm. How can we position ourselves for recovery and future success? How can we make short-term actions consistent with our long-term goal of social, economic and cultural prosperity?

History shows that big economic transformations begin with innovative applications of new knowledge and ideas.

[...]

http://www.canada.co...e274dad&k=97653

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users