Wayne Hollohan | Victoria | Council

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Wayne Hollohan is making a second run for council.

He came 18th with 2546 votes in 2005.

#2 Wayne Hollohan

Wayne Hollohan
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Wayne
I and a number of neighbours who live near Beacon Hill Park and Dallas Road are interested in knowing your position related to a number of issues arising from the recent court ruling on shelters in parks for homeless people.

Firstly, how do you recommend handling the immediate problem of tenting in public parks and on the Dallas road beachfront?

I can only respond to the information I have which may be inaccurate or not complete. The latest info is that we were working to find beds for people and it is my understanding that facilities were open to accommodate the people in the park. It is only my understanding that the court ruling said camping on public land was only permissible in the absence of other suitable accommodations. I was informed late this evening that space is available; therefore any person who refuses the alternative accommodation and persists in camping is in violation of the original laws against camping in public lands.

Do you approve of using legal action if tenters do not remove their tents by 7:00 am? If not, please explain why.

If their action to camp is governed by law then they should obey all laws that are in place. You don't have to agree with a law and you are free to protest against it, but you also have to understand there may be consequences for such actions.

Do you support appealing the ruling?

Absolutely, an appeal could take years and you can withdraw your appeal at any time if you so choose. It is only prudent to keep all options open. I believe this ruling was a call to action as in the last three years our homeless population in Victoria has gone from 750 to over 1,500. All that has been done is more studies and more reports.

· I have personally worked with Capital Regional District Housing Team on a supportive housing project for people with mental challenges and seniors housing in the Humboldt Valley

· I worked with Pacifica and City Spaces on a supportive housing project in the Fairfield area

· I have volunteered with my daughter at the emergency shelter Our Place/ Open Door,)

· And 2:30 on Friday I was on the phone to Edmonton Alb. and the Chair of the CRD Housing team discussing the possibility of using modular self- contained portable housing units.

As a volunteer for the last 7 years I am doing all I can. I you want more from me then put me in a position where I can do more. If I am prepared to give a 100% for the next three years and I want the same from others for the next 28 days. Please encourage everyone you know to vote. My goal is 5 new faces on council and I am more than happy to let the public decide who they should be.

If you want change you have to change the people responsible

What approaches do you think would be most effective long term to address the issues of homelessness?

If you want to phone me I would love to have this discussion with you. Right now I have four other questionnaires to fill out and for the last month I start at 6:00 am and finish around 1:00 am.

What I can say is that

The reasons for homelessness are as complex and diverse as the people it impacts. Our solutions must be equally diverse and involve the homeless, businesses, social service agencies, all levels of government and all members of the community. We need to go after the problem not just treat the symptoms.

The greatest and most abundant resource any city has is its people. Victoria is fortunate to attract a diverse, knowledgeable and dedicated group of individuals and it is imperative to embrace their wide range of opinions, skills and abilities by actively seeking and supporting their involvement. As a city councillor it will be my job to represent the people. It is the people who ultimately decide what is best for their city.

Thank you for speakout and expressing your concerns

Wayne Hollohan:

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

Wayne,

I've moved your post into this thread which you can use to discuss the details of your campaign and field questions from forum members.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

Wayne - thanks for posting your comments on this website. You ask relevant questions and as someone who has clearly stated you live near, and care about, Beacon Hill Park, your input will help the discussion.

Firstly, how do you recommend handling the immediate problem of tenting in public parks and on the Dallas road beachfront?

Who are you asking? VV is an open forum - anyone, and believe me all sorts, comment on the board. There are candidates, interest groups, people with agendas, and individuals looking for relevant info - if you have a question to a specific candidate who is active on the forum, ask them by name (or by group) - and I for one would be extremely interested in the answers.

The reasons for homelessness are as complex and diverse as the people it impacts. Our solutions must be equally diverse and involve the homeless, businesses, social service agencies, all levels of government and all members of the community. We need to go after the problem not just treat the symptoms.

Well stated - but do you have any concrete ideas to share?

Thanks for joining in - I hope you continue, and encourage others.

Cheers

#5 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

Just to clarify the format of Wayne's post, it includes a pasted email question sent to him, and then his answers inserted below each question. I know this because I received a similar email, and I imagine most candidates did also.

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

Wayne thank you for posting your comments here. With 33 candidates it is hard to sort out where everyone stands.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

Just to clarify the format of Wayne's post, it includes a pasted email question sent to him, and then his answers inserted below each question. I know this because I received a similar email, and I imagine most candidates did also.

Joseph - that makes the style a bit more understandable. Thanks for the clarification.

#8 stdavid

stdavid
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

Mr Hollohan
I note you are President Director of the Fairfield Community Association. Could you tell me how much money the city of Vicotira contributes to the association. Also is it enough to support its programs?
I have emailed you a personal experience story about how much Community facilities such as Fernwood and Oaklands have meant to me and my family. I sent it earlier to Susan Woods.
Please watch for it

#9 Wayne Hollohan

Wayne Hollohan
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

Mr Hollohan
I note you are President Director of the Fairfield Community Association. Could you tell me how much money the city of Victoria contributes to the association.

As President Fairfield Community Association and running for Victoria City Council, I don’t feel comfortable answering any specific or direct inquiries for information regarding the Fairfield Community Association that is not open or common knowledge. At our last Board meeting I requested that the Vise-President, Blair Humphrey look after all inquires until after the election. The underline theme of my whole campaign is about respect and I hope you can respect my reply. If you call the FCA 382-4604 they will be happy to put you in touch with Blair.

WayneH

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

I don’t feel comfortable answering any specific or direct inquiries for information regarding the Fairfield Community Association that is not open or common knowledge.

Community Association funding is open and common knowledge. It's based directly on the population figures from the last Federal census. I have all the amounts for all the CAs in my files at another computer. I forget the formula but I think it's 50 cents per inhabitant of the neighbourhood.

#11 Wayne Hollohan

Wayne Hollohan
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

Community Association funding is open and common knowledge. It's based directly on the population figures from the last Federal census. I have all the amounts for all the CAs in my files at another computer. I forget the formula but I think it's 50 cents per inhabitant of the neighbourhood.
Rob Randall

Thank you for sharing that info Rob. There are 1270 people living downtown as of the 2001 census, so your operating budget would be $635.
The Fairfield Community Association operating budget is just over $2,000,000, and you won't find any accounting information on my computer. It is all handled by staff members in that department. What I do know is we receive money from many different sources. Although it may be open to the public, the figures are certainly not common knowledge, remember we also include, Cathredial Hill, Humboldt Valley and Gonzales.

Wayne Hollohan

#12 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

The Fairfield Community Association operating budget is just over $2,000,000, and you won't find any accounting information on my computer.
Wayne Hollohan

Wayne - could you clarify this. As quoted the amount you stated for the Fairfield Community Association is $2 Million?

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:20 AM

^That would include money from other levels of government, ad revenue etc. etc.

To answer the original question, the base grant Fairfield received from the City this year was $9,725 (.552 cents per person).

#14 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

Wayne, a study by the City showed that most Victoria citizens consider Humbolt Valley "downtown" - Would you support a survey of the residents of this area to see if they consider themselves to be "downtown residents" or "Fairfield residents?" with the understanding that if most of the residents felt that they belonged to the downtown community that you as a councillor responsible for the health of all of Victoria - not just an advocate for Fairfield, would support the results of such a study by voting to change the boundary if the residents so desired?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#15 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

It should be noted that Wayne Hollohan is being sued in a small claims court. A former tenant of Hollohan's basement suite (represented by Roger Batchelor Law Corporation) is suing him based on allegations of voyeurism and invasion of privacy.

Hopefully there will be more info to come soon.

#16 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

It should be noted that Wayne Hollohan is being sued in a small claims court. A former tenant of Hollohan's basement suite (represented by Roger Batchelor Law Corporation) is suing him based on allegations of voyeurism and invasion of privacy.

Hopefully there will be more info to come soon.

Has legal action been commenced?

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Right before the election? The timing was chosen to do as much damage as possible. It is possible the man is innocent, and that this is a smear. If so it is a particularly ugly one.

#18 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

Right before the election? The timing was chosen to do as much damage as possible. It is possible the man is innocent, and that this is a smear. If so it is a particularly ugly one.

There was a mention of this a while back on some VV thread - this case is in small claims court, most cases take 6 months to a year to come to trial so timing is most likely coincidental.

#19 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

There was a mention of this a while back on some VV thread - this case is in small claims court, most cases take 6 months to a year to come to trial so timing is most likely coincidental.

Mat is correct on that. Can take months (even years) to get through all the various processes.

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

Do you have more information than Lover Fighter posted? Does "is being sued" mean the court date has come up? Or does it mean that the paperwork has just been filed/served?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users