Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#301 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

I'm ok with condos being built instead of dedicated rentals if that is what private industry will build.  I don't believe we need government support to have a balance of rentals and condos.  Relax rental restrictions in the condo towers and they can effectively meet rental demand.  Maybe we wouldn't facing 20,000 rental units needing renovation all at once if there wasn't a huge rental boom in one time.   

Ya, that's right.  I'm down with that.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#302 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

Relax rental restrictions in the condo towers and they can effectively meet rental demand

Are you suggesting that the province step in and prohibit stratas from restricting rentals?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Rentals are a long term investment, meaning they require financing that is willing to wait 15-20 years for a profit. Condos are instant profit.

It sure helps when local governments ease up on purpose-built rental developers who are proposing new housing, which unlike condos, is guaranteed rental stock, guaranteed to be operated properly as such, and guaranteed to remain in place for the life of the building if structured properly.

Affordable housing was built over the last 25 years thanks to government subsidies and assistance, even a streamlined planning process. But if you didn't qualify for affordable housing you were literally forced to either own a home or rent a secondary suite or a private condo. In short, the government's unwillingness to ensure the industry could build enough housing for all segments of the market has created this situation, which only decades earlier was at the forefront of housing policy and (luckily) yielded the rental housing we do have.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#304 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

Rentals are a long term investment, meaning they require financing that is willing to wait 15-20 years for a profit. Condos are instant profit.

It sure helps when local governments ease up on purpose-built rental developers who are proposing new housing, which unlike condos, is guaranteed rental stock, guaranteed to be operated properly as such, and guaranteed to remain in place for the life of the building if structured properly.

Affordable housing was built over the last 25 years thanks to government subsidies and assistance, even a streamlined planning process. But if you didn't qualify for affordable housing you were literally forced to either own a home or rent a secondary suite or a private condo. In short, the government's unwillingness to ensure the industry could build enough housing for all segments of the market has created this situation, which only decades earlier was at the forefront of housing policy and (luckily) yielded the rental housing we do have.

But why not just let that flip over to condo rentals now?  Where individual investors are willing to wait that 15-20 years?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#305 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

Because that's not guaranteed rental housing stock. We all know someone who was renting a condo who suddenly had to vacate because the condo sold or the owner decided to live in the property, or the landlord of a rental condo who was indifferent regarding upkeep and maintenance. And right now some lucrative rental condos are being turned over to AirBnB, which has forced some Victorians to find alternate housing. If spanky123 et al are as concerned as they say they are about AirBnB rentals in our community then purpose-built rental housing is one way to avoid turning our rental stock over to transient accommodation.

We need guaranteed, properly managed rental housing inventory. We're finally getting it, but it's a smidgen of the capacity we really need in order to finally elevate above 1% rental housing vacancy.

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#306 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

We need guaranteed, properly managed rental housing inventory. We're finally getting it, but it's a smidgen of the capacity we really need in order to finally elevate above 1% rental housing vacancy.

Why do we need it?  Oak Bay, Metchosin, and North Saanich don't have much of it, and they are very wealthy communities with very low crime rates.  Isn't that what we'd like to be?

#307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

The entire region is building rentals, not just the City of Victoria.

Even Oak Bay is building rentals, as is Central Saanich. Sidney, Colwood, Langford, etc, they're all building rentals. I'm not sure why rentals would be associated with "crime."

Anyhow, Collier's new rental market report appears to contain a number of errors and data omissions when referencing rental development (and condo development) in the region.

Know it all.

#308 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

Even Oak Bay is building rentals, as is Central Saanich. Sidney, Colwood, Langford, etc, they're all building rentals. I'm not sure why rentals would be associated with "crime."

Really?  Home ownership among criminals is very small.  Most criminals rent.

I think Oak Bay replaced a rental building, nothing else new going up there.

And I said Metchosin, North Saanich and Oak Bay, I made no comment about Langford, Colwood etc.  I think the best place for new rentals is West Shore.  I'm not sure why we feel we have to keep adding more and more into the City.

#309 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

[quote name="VicHockeyFan" post="325216" timestamp="1468087711"]

Really? Home ownership among criminals is very small. Most criminals rent.
/quote]

I guess this must be another one of those *VHF stats, eh? Crime is crime... has not alot to do with owning or renting until you get down to the low income or supportive housing segments. Then, yes you are just asking for crime. I can assure you I do not live in a crime laden rental building.
  • weirdie likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#310 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

Oh and if a rental is crime ridden it's because of slum lord tactics. Not willing to upkeep a building so that it only has a "certain" obtainable rental base.

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

Ironically the highest profile criminal takedowns over the last couple of years have occurred in condo buildings.

Know it all.

#312 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Ironically the highest profile criminal takedowns over the last couple of years have occurred in condo buildings.

Where the drug dealers were renting apartments.  Not owning them.

• Nparker likes this

#313 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Proof of this?

#314 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

Where the drug dealers were renting apartments.  Not owning them.

Exactly!

Commercial landlords don't have the time of the day to deal with guys who can't supply a cheque or references. But private condo owners might actually appreciate an envelope stacked full of Robert Bordens every month, no questions asked.

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

Victoria's 10 cheapest houses for sale, summer 2016 edition

http://victoria.citi...r-2016-edition/

Bidding wars and escalating real-estate prices have got you down? Not to worry, Citified's list of the 10 cheapest homes in Victoria's urban core – summer 2016 edition – might just be your ticket to finding a dream home at an affordable price.

Believe it or not, this eclectic list of properties has something for everyone at price points that are a reprieve from the region's red-hot real-estate market. And surprisingly, when compared to our spring 2016 list of the urban core's 10 cheapest houses, the average listing price has dropped from $432,270 to $427,150. [Full article]

Know it all.

#316 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

http://www.cfax1070....rchange-project

Family pushed out by McKenzie Interchange project struggles to find new home

#317 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

^ i can't tell if the guy owned the house or not. If he did, he gets fair market value for it, no? So what's the problem? If he rented, yeah, that could be a challenge, but you had 3 months to find a place. I don't have any sympathy for this situation, particularly if this is the home I think it might be.

• Nparker likes this

#318 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

^ i can't tell if the guy owned the house or not. If he did, he gets fair market value for it, no? So what's the problem? If he rented, yeah, that could be a challenge, but you had 3 months to find a place. I don't have any sympathy for this situation, particularly if this is the home I think it might be.

It's a rental.  I don't know what the market is like for an in-town rental for a family of 5 with a decent bit of yard, for kids to play in.  Regardless, it was a tactic and I'm sure it's paid off.  Last night at 8:45 the door to this place was wide open and I wondered if they'd already moved out.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#319 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

Ya, a rental.  That article misses a lot.

5 people, including 3 or 4 adults, plus two dogs, and $1750 rent.  That's of course going to be hard to find.

Nagel he has already moved out, and is in a temporary rental in town (I think it's a home for sale) that his boss at Ace Courier found for him.

#320 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

Ya, a rental.  That article misses a lot.

5 people, including 3 or 4 adults, plus two dogs, and $1750 rent.  That's of course going to be hard to find.

Nagel he has already moved out, and is in a temporary rental in town (I think it's a home for sale) that his boss at Ace Courier found for him.

Alright then, time to bring in the excavator.  Daddy wants a new Goose overpass.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users