Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1893 replies to this topic

#561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Until someone holds our elected officials accountable for this mess, we're all going to suffer. We desperately need 10,000 new rental units in the region. Now. Not by 2050, now!
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#562 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Until someone holds our elected officials accountable for this mess, we're all going to suffer. We desperately need 10,000 new rental units in the region. Now. Not by 2050, now!

Do we though?  I think it's been made clear that nobody with a regular full-time job is homeless in the region.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#563 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

You gotta read my article that references rental managers who say 20,000 units will need replacement or major renovations by 2025. Any way we slice it, we need new inventory to replace aging stock.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#564 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Do we though?

Yes we do need more. We have a significantly ageing rental stock. More-and-more "renoviction" stories will be forthcoming as existing properties are either renovated or replaced. As I said before, new rental housing stock HAS to utilize greater density than what it is replacing or we will continue to have an affordability issue.

#565 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Maybe more retirees will just have to move.  Duncan has low rents.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#566 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Maybe more retirees will just have to move.  Duncan has low rents.

Good luck getting them to choose Duncan over Victoria. Also, the current generation of retirees can afford the higher rents in the CRD.

#567 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

Retirees or downsizers are a sizeable portion of the folks living in my building, for sure. In my girlfriend's building the ratio is similar, probably half of the residents in both buildings are aged 50-plus.

Know it all.

#568 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

I think you'll find the type living in for example the Lord and Lady Simcoe are very-limited income seniors.  So some of them might move.

#569 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'd say a huge chunk of Victoria's older apartment buildings are home to seniors on limited incomes. We're in for a serious reality check over the next five years.

Know it all.

#570 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

Do we though? I think it's been made clear that nobody with a regular full-time job is homeless in the region.

So we should hoist up the draw bridges and say we're full, no more people?

#571 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

I'd say that a vacancy rate of 1.5% means we are effectively turning away potential residents. That's not good business. There should be healthy stock of housing with healthy turnover. These people are rightfully afraid that they literally won't be able to find a place to rent. It's not that they may not find one in the area they want, but that they won't be able to find one at all. That's no good.
  • tedward likes this

#572 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'd say that a vacancy rate of 1.5% means we are effectively turning away potential residents...

And of course the current vacancy rate is much lower than 1.5%

...Greater Victoria's average apartment vacancy rate dropped to 0.6 per cent in October, down from 1.5 per cent in October 2014, according to the latest figures from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp...

http://www.timescolo...arket-1.2265304

I don't believe there has been significant improvement since these stats were released.

#573 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

So we should hoist up the draw bridges and say we're full, no more people?

Of course not.  But I think we should be clear that our lack of homes is not making full-time workers homeless.

#574 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'd say that a vacancy rate of 1.5% means we are effectively turning away potential residents. That's not good business. There should be healthy stock of housing with healthy turnover. These people are rightfully afraid that they literally won't be able to find a place to rent. It's not that they may not find one in the area they want, but that they won't be able to find one at all. That's no good.

Oh, I think it's a fact for some jobs, for sure.

#575 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Of course not.  But I think we should be clear that our lack of homes is not making full-time workers homeless.

Who said this? You?

Our current course is not sustainable. We need more housing if we don't want to limit our potential.

#576 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Who said this? You?

Our current course is not sustainable. We need more housing if we don't want to limit our potential.

Yes, me.  The guy that is downtown on the streets 364 days of the year.  I'm the guy that had breakfast with 3 homeless people on the weekend.  

I'm not sure about "not sustainable".  Have you seen housing costs (shortages) in San Francisco, or New York, or Vancouver?  You know, it's the funny thing about people and markets, it all gets worked out.

#577 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

I am 100% for more density BUT done in a smart way. Just adding more NOW is not a good idea and might just spoil it for all of us. Just look at the parking issue that Mike brings up. Same with traffic congestion. People will still drive a short distance if it's not walk and bike friendly. This is why there needs to be the massive charrette  in regards to rezoning victoria that could integrate into a solid pedestrian / bike transportation plan. Enough with the spot zoning everything.... 

• tedward likes this

#578 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

There is a shortage of $1,000 a month rental units. If you have the money then it is not difficult to find a place to live. All boils down to what type of City we want to have. Lots of people are perfectly happy with us catering to wealthy retirees and wealthy snowbirds.

• Nparker likes this

#579 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Narrow that down a bit and ask if the zero growth over the last 20 years in Broadmead has had bad effects, or zero in Uplands over or Rockland the last 50 years.

I dunno.  I was reading a 1990 Times Colonist the other day, we had a housing crisis then apparently.  We seem to make it through crisis after crisis with no real casualties.   

It's a bit of "Victoria is too expensive/crowded now that nobody wants to live/move there anymore".  Bah, I dunno.

#580 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

There is a shortage of $1,000 a month rental units. If you have the money then it is not difficult to find a place to live. All boils down to what type of City we want to have. Lots of people are perfectly happy with us catering to wealthy retirees and wealthy snowbirds.

Palm Springs or Carmel or Whistler, or dare I say Oak Bay or North Saanich have no trouble with this "business model".  It's only CoV council that wants to flood our city with deadbeats rather than affluent high-property-tax-paying consumers.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users