Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1882 replies to this topic

#621 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Lemurs? I fed one of those things tortilla chips and guacamole by hand on a gold course once in Mexico. He seemed pretty tame and expectant of getting feed snacks. I got a picture somewhere of him sitting on the table next to me...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#622 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

That's odd because the average rent in Fort Mac was something like $2,000/month in the boom times. Here is cheap in comparison.

Friend of mine is a heavy duty mechanic and worked up there for a while.  Rented a shed for over $1000/month.  Only power was via an extension cord from the main house.

• jonny likes this

#623 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

...I had an apartment above me, where the spare bedroom - right above my home office - housed two lemurs...

They tried to keep it underground but Lemurians are flooding in now.

#624 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hey at least they are not beating around the bush, they want international tenants.

$1800 / 2br - 843ft2 - Brand new condo near completed looking for international tenents (1000 Inverness Rd, Victoria, BC)

https://victoria.cra...6071661975.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#625 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Planning on avoiding taxes is my guess....

#626 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hey at least they are not beating around the bush, they want international tenants.

And a Human Rights complaint...

#627 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

And a Human Rights complaint...

Hey, I've already said, months and months ago, that our housing crunch is due to students.  But nobody wants to go there.

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#628 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

The only problem with students is them buying houses in Gordon Head for $200k over asking. They should rent basement suites by law...
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#629 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

Victoria rental rates to rise in 2017 as new housing inventory fails to satisfy demand

Rental rates for upper-end, newly completed purpose-built apartment inventory in downtown Victoria and periphery areas are expected to break above $2.70 per square foot (per month) and in some cases reach beyond $3. Those rates translate into newly-built one-bedroom apartments renting for $1,350-to-$1,650 per month, a jump from $1,200-to-$1,450 in the present-day market.

Looks like Langford rates are trying to catch up to Victoria.  $1475.00 for a 1 bedroom plus den.

Attached Images

• Roberts Place Rental Ad.JPG

#630 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

Looks like Langford rates are trying to catch up to Victoria.  $1475.00 for a 1 bedroom plus den.

That seems kind of steep for a wood frame building so far away from the city. Isn't that more or less on par with Hudson Mews?

#631 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:25 PM

Is the Hudson Mews a block from Browns, Bin 4, a Pizza Hut, Darcy's, Floyd's, KFC, 7-11, a Grocery Store, Bistro, gas station and a water feature?

Edited by Jason-L, 03 April 2017 - 11:25 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#632 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:00 AM

its basically a 2 bedroom the den suits as a 2nd bedroom,,, an by the train tracks but worry not ... in Langford there will be no complainers if a few trains pass by each day

#633 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

its basically a 2 bedroom the den suits as a 2nd bedroom,,, an by the train tracks but worry not ... in Langford there will be no complainers if a few trains pass by each day

But, what about the commuter rail system that might start up.....in 30 years?

#634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Demand-for-rentals-spurs-Saanich-developers-to-drop-condo-plans.jpg

Artist's rendering of Radius at Royal Oak, a six-storey, 66-unit purpose-built rental complex coming to the 4300-block of West Saanich Road. The building, proposed by Tri-Eagle Development Corp., was originally envisioned as a condominium.

Saanich developers drop condo plans in favour of rental suites
http://victoria.citi...-rental-suites/

Two condominium proposals in Saanich have been re-envisioned as purpose-built rentals, according to documents filed with the municipality.

Tri-Eagle Development Corporation’s Radius at Royal Oak project, originally slated to become a condominium residence along the 4300-block of West Saanich Road, will start construction later this year as a six-storey, 66-unit purpose-built rental complex.

“We realized throughout the planning phase for Radius that there is tremendous demand for workforce and down-sizer purpose-built rental housing in Royal Oak,” said Oliver Tennant, Tri-Eagle’s Development Coordinator. “Although initially planned as a condominium, condo-quality rental apartments became our focus and it has been a pleasure working with the Royal Oak Community Association and District of Saanich throughout this process.” [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#635 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

I think there is very little rental properties in the Royal Oak area. That place will rent out fast.

#636 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:17 AM

Here is a disturbing thought. My insomnia got the better of me so here I am at 2:00 in the morning clicking on CBC stories that have links to other stories of a similar nature. I started off with the story about the 200 people showing up to view a co-op in Vancouver and clicked my way until I ended up with a year old story about bidding for rental apartments in Vancouver.

Warning! This article will scare you if you have children. They will not be able to afford to live in Victoria or Vancouver if this keeps up.

Western Canada is a very desirable place to live. There are more people that want to live here than there is housing. The price of home ownership is becoming out of reach for most. The price of rental housing is about to do the same, especially if the practice of renting to the highest bidder becomes the norm. This article is a year old. Don't click on it if you plan to go back to sleep anytime soon.  

Frenzy of Vancouver rental market whips up bidding wars

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...g-war-1.3680027

• Bingo likes this

#637 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

Warning! This article will scare you if you have children. They will not be able to afford to live in Victoria or Vancouver if this keeps up.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...g-war-1.3680027

Ya,ya, just like nobody can afford to live in New York, yet 12 million people do.

#638 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

I don't know why the article should scare you if you have children? They have much more opportunity and ability to relocate at the time of starting their adult life than some e who has been 20 years in a job and close to a pension/ retirement that has seen price change in that 20 years, but us more in a position to have to stay? And when you retire, who says you gave to stay? There is a magazine called International Living that spot lights places ex-pats can go retire with proof if a monthly income of $1K a month per person. I know we are planning on possible Panama City. US style hospitals, large modern city, built by and influenced by US/ Canadian style politics, livery quite comfortably for $1K a month per person on a permanent travelers Visa, and you get health are included.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#639 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Ya,ya, just like nobody can afford to live in New York, yet 12 million people do.

Or San Francisco.

#640 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

here we go again comparing tiny Victoria (bedroom community of Vancouver) to Huge American Cities...

Sanfransisco Population 8 million

NY 20 million

i think most urban areas are expensive.

The GTA for example is more expensive to buy property that Estevan SK People like living in Cities so of course the prices re up there compared to semi rural

Edited by HB, 21 April 2017 - 07:12 AM.

• Szeven likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tony