#861 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

Nearly 1,000 rental apartments underway on Capital Region's West Shore

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#862 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

http://www.timescolo...hole-1.23076267

So I guess under the new rules tenants will be forced to vacate the premises once their year lease is up so that new tenants, who pay more, can then move in.

#863 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

...So I guess under the new rules tenants will be forced to vacate the premises once their year lease is up so that new tenants, who pay more, can then move in.

I don't think that's quite how it is supposed to work

...Under the new legislation, “the rent [rate] stays with the tenant, so when the fixed term ends, it rolls into month-to-month unless the tenant chooses to end it,”...

http://www.vicnews.c...rease-loophole/

#864 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

http://www.timescolo...hole-1.23076267

So I guess under the new rules tenants will be forced to vacate the premises once their year lease is up so that new tenants, who pay more, can then move in.

Basically.  It's not much of a fix.  In the case of couples, the landlord can have one partner sign one year, the other the next.

You can't force owners to rent their property forever.  So vacate clauses will still be used.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 October 2017 - 03:20 PM.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#865 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

...In the case of couples, the landlord can have one partner sign one year, the other the next.

What couple would agree to that?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#866 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

What couple would agree to that?

Agree or the landlord moves on to the other 30 applicants on his list.  You could say what tenant would agree to the existing vacate clauses, but I guess some do, thus the need for this "fix" in the NDP's mind.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#867 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

Exactly. Only name on the lease, only to have an argument, police called and you forced to leave... cause your not on the lease.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#868 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

I think a landlord would be in a heap of trouble if he tried to make a couple sign 2 separate leases. 

#869 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

I wish I could read the article... but I refuse to give money to the TC.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#870 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

I wish I could read the article... but I refuse to give money to the TC.

Is the CBC okay? http://www.cbc.ca/ne...phole-1.4374057

• sdwright.vic likes this

#871 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Ya, you already give them $1B a year!

• Rob Randall, Matt R., sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#872 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

This might even be a bonus for the landlord.  By changing out tenants every year he has access to potentially keep more damage deposits.

#873 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

more regulations just increases headaches for landlords who passes those costs onto tenants

#874 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

This new rule will be a boon to uhaul and moving companies as tenants will now be moving more frequently.

#875 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

This new rule will be a boon to uhaul and moving companies as tenants will now be moving more frequently.

Every time the Government tries to step in and regulate a free market economy they wind up with unintended consequences. I realize that the law isn't intended to have tenants move every year but that will be the outcome if landlords are forced to find new tenants every year in order to get market rents for their units.

• jonny likes this

#876 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

My understanding is with the closure of the loophole the only way a landlord can get a tenant out, outside of damaging the unit etc., is if the unit is going to undergo major renovations or a landlords immediate family is going to move into the unit. The whole purpose was to stop having people have to move out.

And the yearly rate increase is limited to 2% plus inflation.

The landlords association had input into this legislation and are on board with it.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#877 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

My understanding is with the closure of the loophole the only way a landlord can get a tenant out, outside of damaging the unit etc., is if the unit is going to undergo major renovations or a landlords immediate family is going to move into the unit. The whole purpose was to stop having people have to move out.

And the yearly rate increase is limited to 2% plus inflation.

The landlords association had input into this legislation and are on board with it.

No, the landlord can make you move and rent to another person with a 20% rent increase.  He just can not rent it again to you with that increase.

He can probably rent it to his sister and have her sublet it to you though, with his premission.

It's a hamhanded idea.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 October 2017 - 07:43 PM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#878 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

How can he make you move?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#879 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

How can he make you move?

He gives you a fixed-term tenancy, as he does now.  You MUST leave at the end.  Now, you must leave - but both parties might renegotiate a new tenancy, and you stay.  Now with this, you must leave and he is unable to renew with you.

You can not end fixed date tenancies or nobody would be able to rent their units for part of the year etc., or rent it for 2 years until they move here and move in.  So fixed term is still allowed.

#880 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

No, the landlord can make you move and rent to another person with a 20% rent increase.  He just can not rent it again to you with that increase.

He can probably rent it to his sister and have her sublet it to you though, with his premission.

It's a hamhanded idea.

Brothers and sisters are not a "close" family member according to the act.

Close family member: This means the father, mother or child of the landlord or the landlord’s spouse – it doesn’t include the brother or sister of the landlord or the brother or sister of the landlord’s spouse. If a family corporation owns the rental unit, then a close family member would also include an individual who owns, or whose close family member owns, all the voting shares.

https://www2.gov.bc....onth-notice#Use

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users