Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#881 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

Ya, you don’t understand. The tenancy ends. Period. It’s over, as specified when we signed 6 or 12 months ago. 

I'm not serving you with surprise notice as a family member is moving in. 

Anybody including my friend or my sister can be the next tenant. And with my permission they can sublet to you.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 07:00 AM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#882 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

The TC article has a reference to a two month penalty for evicting without cause, and that some owners may be willing to eat that 2 months to get a large rent increase. Does that mean that even if you have a fixed term tenancy, you cannot evict just to re rent a higher rate to someone else - unless you pay 2 months rent back to that tenant?

#883 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

The TC article has a reference to a two month penalty for evicting without cause, and that some owners may be willing to eat that 2 months to get a large rent increase. Does that mean that even if you have a fixed term tenancy, you cannot evict just to re rent a higher rate to someone else - unless you pay 2 months rent back to that tenant?

If you have a fixed-term tenancy it ends when it ends and there is no compensation.

Quite frankly this might benefit landlords.  When they sign you up for 6 or 12 months, they now have 6 months or a year to find new tenants.  They can start advertising it right away and collect as many applications as possible to get the best tenant possible.

If you are renting a place for $1400, you will have to allow people to come view it - people that will be paying $1600/mo. when you move out.

"Why is the current tenant moving?"

"Oh, they want to stay, but the government now says they must leave.  I'm not evicting them, the new government legislation is"  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 07:58 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#884 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

^ if that's the case, those lines in the TC article make no sense. I guess we'll need to see the actual bill to know what is changing.

For those who are at the paywall limit, here's what I'm talking about, from the article:

they said it still gives landlords an incentive to pursue a new tenant to get higher rent.

The penalty for evicting a tenant without just cause is two months of rent, which could be worth it for some landlords hoping to raise the rent 35 per cent.

Edited by lanforod, 27 October 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#885 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

The penalty for evicting a tenant without just cause is two months of rent

That's simply an inaccurate statement, and poor reporting by the TC.  There is no provision for evicting a tenant without just cause, never has been.

You can evict a tenant if a family member is moving in (including a new owner of the unit, if sold), or if you are doing a renovation.  That's it.

And a 2-month notice to vacate that would be used in the above scenario gives you one month rent compensation, not two.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#886 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

I can see why tenants want rent increases legislated to the 3-4% they propose.  Does that mean that housing prices can only go up by 3-4% too?  What about cars, food, gas, clothes, etc?

As a homeowner I want protection too!  For example, oh say, the painter coming next week should only be able to increase his prices by 3-4% from last year too  :whyme:

#887 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

With the sewer charges coming, I wonder if some landlords will apply for a higher increase.  If the average household in say Oak Bay has to pay $400 more per year, how does that look for the average apartment?

#888 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

I get the reasons for closing that rental loophole to protect people from greedy, unscrupulous landlords. Exploiters are out there but most landlords, I think, would prefer stable, responsible longer-term tenants who pay on time.
At the same I would like to see it made easier to kick out serial deadbeats who abuse the premises or dont pay. These types are a minority but exist all the same. It shouldn't take a year and $$$ to give deadbeats the boot.

Edited by johnk, 27 October 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#889 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I get the reasons for closing that rental loophole to protect people from greedy, unscrupulous landlords. Exploiters are out there but most landlords, I think, would prefer stable, responsible longer-term tenants who pay on time.
At the same I would like to see it made easier to kick out serial deadbeats who abuse the premises or dont pay. These types are a minority but exist all the same. It shouldn't take a year and $$$ to give deadbeats the boot.

So then I do not think landlords will change behaviour then.  They will continue to write short-term leases, and at the end, if they really like the tenant, they will raise the rent no more than the permitted amount,  If they dislike the tenant, the tenant has to move.

Now, what if the landlord has a legitimate increase in costs (be it his mortgage increasing, taxes, maintenance) and he needs more than the prescribed maximum?  The landlord can still apply to the RTB for an increase above the permitted amount.  But if he loses that, and even if the tenant is very willing to stay and pay a higher rent, the new law says he can't.  You have to replace him with new renters.

On what items can a landlord charge extra amounts?

Parking, electricity, cable etc.  How about water?  I've never seen a renter have to pay a water bill, at least in a multi-family building.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#890 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

V1488 will have separate water heaters in every suite. Some of the newer rentals are starting to incorporate that into their designs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#891 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

V1488 will have separate water heaters in every suite. Some of the newer rentals are starting to incorporate that into their designs.

Oh ya, heaters, that's very common, and you pay your own electricity to run it.  But I mean the water itself.  More and more the municipalities are adding your sewage cost to your water bill, or at least figuring it out from your water usage.  But the owner of a residential multi-family building just gets one bill for the whole place.

http://www.victoria..../utilities.html

What charges are on the utility bill for City of Victoria properties?

Water consumptionwater service chargeCity of Victoria sewer, CRD sewer, and residential garbage if applicable.

Why are CRD sewer charges on my utility bill?

In 2009, a phased process began to base CRD sewer costs on your metered water use, rather than on your assessed property value. Since then, a percentage of CRD sewer costs has been reflected on your utility and property tax bills. As of January 1, 2011, the CRD sewer cost is based solely on your metered water consumption and charges will appear only on your utility bills.

This change is due to the anticipated costs associated with secondary sewage treatment mandated for the Capital Region. Basing sewer charges on water consumption is considered a best practice, and a more equitable system than basing on assessed property value. In addition, this system will enable you to potentially reduce your CRD sewer costs by reducing the amount of water you use.

Does the City of Victoria bill Esquimalt properties?

Yes, the City owns and maintains the Esquimalt waterworks system.

What charges are on the utility bill for Esquimalt properties?

Water consumption and water service charge only, sewer and garbage are billed on Esquimalt property taxes.

Is it customary for the tenant or the owner to receive the utility bill?

The tenant, property manager or the owner can receive the utility bill, but the owner is always responsible for any outstanding amounts.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#892 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

Victoria bills Esquimalt residents for water?  I did not know that.

Why do you have to pay a garbage fee if you create no garbage for them to pick up?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 October 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Oh yeah, I getcha.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#894 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

With the sewer charges coming, I wonder if some landlords will apply for a higher increase.  If the average household in say Oak Bay has to pay $400 more per year, how does that look for the average apartment?

So glad I have my own engineered package treatment plant in my yard.  The discharged water then waters my lawn thru irrigation lines reducing my water bill.  I'm exempt from the sewage fees and I won't pay any municipal taxes for that sewage treatment plant.

#895 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

This applies if you rent month to month. Never tick that box on a tenancy agreement that converts the lease to month to month once the lease expires. Always, always, always rent under a lease. Never ever go month to month. 

#896 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

This applies if you rent month to month. Never tick that box on a tenancy agreement that converts the lease to month to month once the lease expires. Always, always, always rent under a lease. Never ever go month to month. 

For first lease. On second lease with a good tenant, i let it convert to month to month.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#897 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

For first lease. On second lease with a good tenant, i let it convert to month to month.

That sounds like sound policy.

#898 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

@jonny, that’s not in your best interest unless you plan to live in a location for an extended period. One of the perks of renting is being able to jump ship with 30 days notice. A lease requires you to keep paying that rent for as long as your lease term. The landlord can cut you loose, but that’s at his or her discretion. I see this “not” working in the tenant’s favour quite often.

Know it all.

#899 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

I was speaking from the point of view of the landlord. If you're a landlord, you do not want to rent your property month to month (or at least I wouldn't). It is very hard to kick a month to month tenant out without having to pay the two rent month's compensation. 

#900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Ah, I see.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users