Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1882 replies to this topic

#921 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

That’s fine for purpose builtvrental units. But there are hundreds of thousands of units that are not multi-family dwellings in this province (1.4 million BC residents rent).

You can not tell every owner that effective immediately the space they are renting is now rentable in perpetuaty to their existing tenant.

As with a lot of things, this NDP Government that we did not elect comes up with ideas first then onlybthibks them through much later.

Why only for purpose-built rentals? People renting out their suites have the same residential tenancy agreements as a professional operation and they can manage them the same way.

But yeah, the legislation as envisioned cannot possibly survive a thorough assessment. The only equitable option is to allow all fixed-term leases to terminate, and if the landlord/tenant wish to carry on they can sign a new fixed-term lease that will switch to month-to-month if the tenant so desires or go their separate ways.

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#922 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Why only for purpose-built rentals? 

Well, I just mean that in a 200-unit building, you have no landlords coming back to use a suite in the summer etc.

There are also situations like this...

http://www.vicnews.c...ch-renoviction/

So that apartment building will be for international students.  Will they have leases?  What if one decides to stay?  What about university residences, do they have unique rules outside of the RTB?

Wasn't there a court case a few years back with a UVic tenant and it centred in his rights as a tenant vs. his course-load?

EDIT:

A man still living in University of Victoria student residences 13 years after graduation stayed inside yesterday, avoiding members of the media hovering outside.

Alkis Gerd'son could be moving out in weeks, in the wake of a B.C. Supreme Court decision that UVic says means it can evict Gerd'son with one month's notice.

Few students who came out of Gerd'son's building yesterday knew of him. One who did said only that he is reclusive.

While Gerd'son wasn't available for interviews, documents connected to his complaint to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal offer some insight into the man and his circumstances.

Gerd'son filed the complaint Dec. 10, 2008, claiming UVic's desire to evict him amounts to discrimination stemming from mental disability. He 

http://www.timescolo...eclusive-1.3532

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 October 2017 - 09:48 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#923 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

If someone has a vacation property they could simply have their tenant sign a tenancy agreement that indicates that this is a short term rental and the owner will be moving back into the property in six or eight months, or whatever, and notice will be given in month six or seven (or whatever timeframe is required under such a scenario).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#924 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

99% of landlords do that, but that doesn't stop bad tenants from getting in. People with good jobs, a decent income and a rap sheet of positive references can still turn out to be a nightmare.

It's not easy to quantify who someone is until you've seen how they live. And if their existing landlord wants them out he or she will happily say whatever necessary to get them out of their unit and into yours.

That's why you get references from more that the previous landlord.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#925 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

^  ^  Ya, that might work.  You technically have to give the month's compensation then though.  I suppose you could just increase the rent to cover that.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 October 2017 - 09:56 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#926 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

^  ^  Ya, that might work.  You technically have to give the month's compensation then though.  I suppose you could just increase the rent to cover that.

Right!

AirBnB does things in that fashion. You literally sign an agreement (not a lease) that you're renting an apartment from date A to date B.

Know it all.

#927 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

AirBnB does things in that fashion. You literally sign an agreement (not a lease) that you're renting an apartment from date A to date B.

Well, that's grey area again, as anyone that rents a unit is supposed to use forms provided by the government.

#928 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

I think the forms are only for rent increases, ending tenancy, etc.  I think the forms only come into play after you move in.  The rental agreements, lease terms etc can be written how you like.  Legally speaking an agreement can supersede law, that is what the banks do when you sign their agreement to open an account

#929 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Well, I just mean that in a 200-unit building, you have no landlords coming back to use a suite in the summer etc.

There are also situations like this...

http://www.vicnews.c...ch-renoviction/

So that apartment building will be for international students.  Will they have leases?  What if one decides to stay?  What about university residences, do they have unique rules outside of the RTB?

Wasn't there a court case a few years back with a UVic tenant and it centred in his rights as a tenant vs. his course-load?

EDIT:

http://www.timescolo...eclusive-1.3532

I remember this did they ever succeed in getting him to move ?

#930 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

^^ There is no 2-month compensation.

Is it yet month's notice and one month's compensation? I'm too lazy to look it up.

In any case, the point stands. Always have a lease, even if it's one month at a time unless you want to compensate your tenants at some future point.

#931 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

2 months notice, one month compensation.  There is no provision anywhere for 2 months, unless it's in the mobile home part.

#932 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

There's been some confusion in regards to what changes Bill 16 will bring about. This piece essentially lays out what will and won't be part of the Tenancy Act once the bill is passed.

Renters and landlords: What you need to know about the NDP’s proposed rental changes

Once Bill 16 comes into play, a landlord will:
  • no longer have the option to offer fixed-term leases without a month-to-month clause, except for limited circumstances
  • be required to convert all existing fixed-term leases into fixed-term leases with a month-to-month clause, except for limited circumstances
  • provide the tenant with one month’s rent if forced to vacate the unit due to
    • an immediate family member moving in
    • a renovation
  • be permitted to increase the rent by any amount only once a tenant vacates the unit
  • be permitted to seek an exemption to the maximum rental rate increase if significant maintenance tasks or building upgrades were undertaken

Know it all.

#933 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

There's been some confusion in regards to what changes Bill 16 will bring about. This piece essentially lays out what will and won't be part of the Tenancy Act once the bill is passed.

Renters and landlords: What you need to know about the NDP’s proposed rental changes

Once Bill 16 comes into play, a landlord will:
  • no longer have the option to offer fixed-term leases without a month-to-month clause, except for limited circumstances
  • be required to convert all existing fixed-term leases into fixed-term leases with a month-to-month clause, except for limited circumstances
  • provide the tenant with one month’s rent if forced to vacate the unit due to
    • an immediate family member moving in
    • a renovation
  • be permitted to increase the rent by any amount only once a tenant vacates the unit
  • be permitted to seek an exemption to the maximum rental rate increase if significant maintenance tasks or building upgrades were undertaken

I am glad that I recently sold my last rental unit. Not that I have ever mistreated a tenant, but the prospect of being locked into a lease that is below the economic value of a property is not something that I would want to contend with down the road. Perhaps that is the intent of the legislation, if rental prices are controlled then market prices of the properties can't continue to appreciate beyond the rent controlled rates.

#934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Unfortunately for the average renter and not just the very limited few who do sign these fixed-term leases is annual rental increases are very, very likely to now affect more renters.

Historically fewer independent landlords than we'd imagine would increase rental rates every year as they preferred to keep a good tenant happy and motivated to remain in place.

But now rents are very likely to increase annually regardless of the relationship with a tenant or the quality of the tenant. For if you don't hedge your bets in small increments every year you're apt to wake up one day to see that the sewage tax bill, the strata fee and the insurance premium coupled with rising mortgage lending rates put you suddenly in the red. And there's nothing you can do about it if you don't pad rents every year.

Know it all.

#935 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

At some point, you'd think it would be a very prudent business decision to offer move-out bonuses.  We seeing that anywhere?

#936 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Unfortunately for the average renter and not just the very limited few who do sign these fixed-term leases is annual rental increases are very, very likely to now affect more renters.

Historically fewer independent landlords than we'd imagine would increase rental rates every year as they preferred to keep a good tenant happy and motivated to remain in place.

But now rents are very likely to increase annually regardless of the relationship with a tenant or the quality of the tenant. For if you don't hedge your bets in small increments every year you're apt to wake up one day to see that the sewage tax bill, the strata fee and the insurance premium coupled with rising mortgage lending rates put you suddenly in the red. And there's nothing you can do about it.

I wonder if the new legislation allows for rental 'catch-ups' as they have in the past. (ie of you don't raise rent this year then you can double up the following one).

#937 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

At some point, you'd think it would be a very prudent business decision to offer move-out bonuses.  We seeing that anywhere?

Although a smart tenant would demand a bonus equal to their cost of moving plus the increase in rent that they would pay elsewhere. Likely not a good value for the landlord.

#938 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

But now rents are very likely to increase annually regardless of the relationship with a tenant or the quality of the tenant. For if you don't hedge your bets in small increments every year you're apt to wake up one day to see that the sewage tax bill, the strata fee and the insurance premium coupled with rising mortgage lending rates put you suddenly in the red. And there's nothing you can do about it if you don't pad rents every year.

Absolutely. I did not raise the rent on my tenant last year. This year, I just send the form to pushed it up 3.95% (not the 4% just to keep the number more tidy). I won't skip a raise any more, and will look to sell when/if my tenant leaves. Thankfully, he's a very good tenant.

• Mike K. likes this

#939 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Although a smart tenant would demand a bonus equal to their cost of moving plus the increase in rent that they would pay elsewhere. Likely not a good value for the landlord.

Tenant is considering a move to Kamloops.  This year, maybe next year, maybe 2020.  Suddenly the landlord offers them a $5,000 bonus to leave this year.  Might be win-win, no?

#940 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

So Bill 16 would basically make leases useless? All leases would automatically convert to month to month? Is that what this means? If so, wow.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users