Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#961 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

As a businessman I see it a lot. Maybe not 38%, but there are big wage increase demands by workers out there

Maybe stop bashing government workers then who are stuck at 1% or lower.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#962 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

I meant people who actually accomplish something. Elected officials don't count.

Edit: And let's face it, if everyone could vote for their own wage increases of course they'd be exorbitant. 

Aint it great managing taxpayers money!!!

#963 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Video clip.  This guys comes across as an ass, but really, he's using the laws as he is allowed to.  And I agree when he says he's a businessman, not a social worker.

http://vancouverisla...?clipId=1267617

Close family means mother, father or child of the owner or owner's spouse.  So either this guy has a lot of children looking to live in his building, or he's full of it.  I suspect there's no family about to move into this building. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#964 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

And CTV has his last name all over the place.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#965 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hopefully no one rents from him again.

But then again Rita Roy and Duncan Morrison always found new people to take advantage of....

#966 Cityguy

Cityguy
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Reviewing the proposed budget for the City of Victoria, it seems that the 2nd largest expenditure, after VicPD is for "Corporate"....does this mean City administration? 

#967 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

Maybe stop bashing government workers then who are stuck at 1% or lower.

No one is forcing anyone to work for government.  As a friend always said the easiest way to get a raise was to get a new job

#968 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

No one is forcing anyone to work for government.  As a friend always said the easiest way to get a raise was to get a new job

off-topic2.JPG

#969 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:20 AM

No one is forcing anyone to work for government. As a friend always said the easiest way to get a raise was to get a new job

But.... weren't you just complaining about that happening up above?

Boy, you like having it both ways!

#970 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

No council in history has seen so many issues as "problems" as this current one.  The only run-down rentals I've ever seen are in Chinatown.  And the Ritz hotel etc.

Tenant relocation plan recommended in Victoria city staff report

City to consider renter protection program Thursday

http://www.vicnews.c...y-staff-report/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 November 2017 - 10:42 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#971 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

But.... weren't you just complaining about that happening up above?

Boy, you like having it both ways!

My point is I take the highest bidder.  Just imagine a speed talking auctioneer taking bids for my salary, at least that was my prerogative when I worked for someone else.

If government is offering you a 1% raise well its your choice to stay, no one is holding a gun to your head.  Don't complain about it like you did above, quit and move on.

#972 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

...If government is offering you a 1% raise well its your choice to stay, no one is holding a gun to your head.  Don't complain about it like you did above, quit and move on.

And get one of those jobs where the employers are offering you 38% more than you are currently earning. 

#973 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

^yup.  I once got a 25% raise by switching companies years ago.

#974 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

I wasn't necessarily complaining above. More not believing these rampant high raises.

Did you youbdoca lateral move when you got this big raise or did you get a "promotion"?

#975 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

Aren’t there job openings and competitions in government, like to move up the chain, so to speak?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#976 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

Aren’t there job openings and competitions in government, like to move up the chain, so to speak?

There are, but unless you take a giant leap in classification, the promotional pay increases are nominal. I acted in a higher position for a year and when I became permanent in it, my pay actually dropped a little.

#977 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Doesn’t that make you want to ditch government for greener pastures then? How’s a higher position equate with lower pay? That’s completely backwards.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#978 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'm in government too and was talking about that with our office manager the other day. She's been here about 20 years, stuck in a low classification. She knows she could get a higher paying job in the private sector, but has decided to just stick it out for the last 10-12 years until she retires. All the other government perks she's amassed in terms of benefits, six weeks of annual vacation, pension contributions, etc. outweigh the benefits of jumping ship at this point in her career.

#979 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

^wow, 6 weeks of annual vacation!

I wasn't necessarily complaining above. More not believing these rampant high raises.

Did you youbdoca lateral move when you got this big raise or did you get a "promotion"?

it was a lateral move, no promotion

perhaps these rampant high raises don't exist in every sector, but in construction and development everyone is in demand.  I read the stories of restaurants not being able to find staff, I see almost every retail store in town with a now hiring sign, etc.  As I have posted before I am not an employee and haven't been for many years, but I have to imagine that if I was in the work force I have the pick of jobs available and can demand more.  I would think even a cashier job would be extremely hard to fill at minimum wage now and are probably offering well over that now

You had said something about a potential supervisor flying in for an interview and once they saw the housing prices they promptly declined the job.  I have seen that as well in the private sector even 10+ years ago

I overhead someone this week saying that a roommate type vacancy was fetching $900 and it didn't sound like it was anything special

The bigger question is how this will work going forward.  There are many major US cities with very expensive housing markets, but I've looked at what entry level wages are and they are low.  Granted much of the US has a large supply of illegal workers that we don't have

Personally I think government needs to have less involvement in the market and much much less regulation.  Every new rule they create just adds to the cost of housing

#980 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Is there any Western city where Government has been able to regulate a stable housing market without creating welfare ghettos or the opposite where their regulations have increased pricing?

• LJ and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users