Photo

Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#981 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Doesn’t that make you want to ditch government for greener pastures then? How’s a higher position equate with lower pay?...

The "lower pay" was minimally less (< $5 net on my bi-weekly take-home). It works like this. When acting in a higher classified position while still "owning" a lower classified position rules regarding salary state that you will receive a fixed percentage increase. I believe that figure is 8%. When I was the successful applicant and became permanent in the position I moved from the top pay tier of my previous position to the middle pay tier of my new position. This turned out to be just ever-so-slightly less that the bi-weekly pay I was receiving when acting. There are 2 additional pay tiers in my new classification level which, assuming my performance is satisfactory, I will automatically move into on the first and second anniversaries of my start date of the higher classified position. In other words, in less than one year from now I will be earning more than I was when acting.

After more than 2.5 decades with the BC Public Service, there really are no greener pastures, especially as I will qualify for pension in fewer than 5 more years.

Edit: Mods - please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate thread.

Edited by Nparker, 24 November 2017 - 11:52 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#982 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

tjv... try three weeks. You have to with CRA for years to get 6 weeks.

I switched to a higher job when being a special needs educator paid to little and only came with two weeks vacation. Why would I want to make $17 when everyone without an education will be making $15?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 24 November 2017 - 12:43 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#983 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

^yes, 3 weeks is normal which is usually what I got plus no work between Christmas and New  Years

#984 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

tjv... try three weeks. You have to with CRA for years to get 6 weeks.

I switched to a higher job when being a special needs educator paid to little and only came with two weeks vacation. Why would I want to make $17 when everyone without an education will be making $15?

Exactly why the minimum wage shouldn't be going up. All the people making $15 an hour now will want at least $20, everyone will raise prices and then they will be crying to move minimum wage up to $20. If you don't like a $10 minimum wage don't work at a job that pays it. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#985 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:32 AM

Mary Davies rents a house near the Gonzales/Fairfield border. She expressed concerned about the loss of older rental buildings in the neighbourhood.

“What happens to the displaced residents? What happens when a developer comes in and knocks down a building,” she said. “There’s nowhere for them to go.”

Chard Development’s Vivid at the Yates – financed by B.C. Housing – was given by City staff as an example of how the City might encourage developers to include below-market rentals in building applications.

http://www.vicnews.c...fairfield-plan/

Did the City really give that answer?  What does Vivid have to do with below-market rentals?

• Nparker and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

How about you keep taxes low by encouraging smart spending at city hall? Does your average Victoria renter faced with rising rents to pay rising taxes really need a $60 million pool? I’m not sure that your average renter already squeezed by high living and rental costs does.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#987 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Most renters never use the Crystal pool.  Nor do most Victoria residents overall.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 December 2017 - 09:19 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#988 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Most renters never use the Crystal pool.  Nor do most Victoria residents overall.

You know what Lisa & Co's answer to that would be: "A new facility will attract vastly more users than the existing one". It's the homeless shelter logic at play.

• VicHockeyFan, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#989 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

Indeed.  I suppose there is not a chance in hell we are doing a homeless count this election year.

#990 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

^why would we, they won't be homeless when they have "studio apartments" at Tally Ho, Mt Edwards, etc, etc.  Count is 0

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#991 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

^why would we, they won't be homeless when they have "studio apartments" at Tally Ho, Mt Edwards, etc, etc.  Count is 0

Those people are still counted as homeless in many cases though.   Plus all those on the street, the count if done the same way as last year, will show a huge increase.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 December 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#992 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

So a crowd sourced go fund me page to sponsor a count if the city doesn't do one?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#993 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

I always thought go fund me was just a user based platform. I just clued in today that they "go fund me" take 7.8% of the money raised and collect $.30 per donation. 

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#994 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

^ Ass, grass, or gas......nobody rides for free.

#995 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

Those people are still counted as homeless in many cases though.   Plus all those on the street, the count if done the same way as last year, will show a huge increase.

If that is the case, then what is the official definition of homeless?  what is say the difference between a studio apartment at Tally Ho vs a studio apartment at an apartment building?  They must have an official definition to go by

#996 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

From the 2014/2015 Report on Housing and Supports (Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness):

The Canadian Homelessness Research Network (2012) developed the Canadian Definition of

Homelessness. The definition describes homelessness as a range of physical living situations,

organized here into four categories. Homelessness and housing exclusion include:

• Unsheltered, or absolutely homeless and living on the streets or in places not

intended for human habitation;

• Emergency Sheltered, including those staying in overnight shelters for people

who are homeless, as well as Violence Against Women shelters;

• Provisionally Accommodated, referring to those whose accommodation is

temporary and who do not have their own home or security of tenure;

• Insecurely Housed, referring to people who are ‘at-risk’ of homelessness, and

whose current economic and/or housing situation is precarious or does not meet

public health and safety standards.

#997 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

So are Tally Ho residents provisionally accommodated, since it's on a 3-year permit?

#998 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

A three year permit?

So what were renters with one year fixed-term leases considered up until a month ago, since their residence was only guaranteed for 12 months?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#999 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

I found a more in-depth definition of provisional housing from the Canadian Observatory on Homelessness (via Homeless Hub):

INTERIM HOUSING FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE HOMELESS

Interim housing is a systems-supported form of housing that is meant to bridge the gap between unsheltered homelessness

or emergency accommodation and permanent housing. In some cases referred to as ‘transitional housing’, this form

of accommodation typically provides services beyond basic needs, offers residents more privacy, and places greater

emphasis on participation and social engagement. Interim housing targets those who would benefit from structure,

support and skill-building prior to moving to long term housing stability, with the ultimate goal of preventing a return to

homelessness. In the case of second-stage housing for those impacted by family violence, the key characteristics of this

housing are the safety and security it provides, trauma recovery supports, along with the ultimate goal of preventing revictimization.

Interim housing has time limitations on residency, but generally allows for a longer stay (in some cases up

to three years) compared to emergency shelters.

3.2 PEOPLE LIVING TEMPORARILY WITH OTHERS, BUT WITHOUT GUARANTEE OF CONTINUED RESIDENCY OR

IMMEDIATE PROSPECTS FOR ACCESSING PERMANENT HOUSING

Often referred to as ‘couch surfers’ or the ‘hidden homeless’, this describes people who stay with friends, family, or even

strangers. They are typically not paying rent, their duration of stay is unsustainable in the long term, and they do not have the

means to secure their own permanent housing in the future. They differ from those who are staying with friends or family out of

choice in anticipation of prearranged accommodation, whether in their current hometown or an altogether new community.

This living situation is understood by both parties to be temporary, and the assumption is that it will not become permanent.

3.3 PEOPLE ACCESSING SHORT TERM, TEMPORARY RENTAL ACCOMMODATIONS WITHOUT SECURITY OF TENURE

In some cases people who are homeless make temporary rental arrangements, such as staying in motels, hostels, rooming

houses, etc. Although occupants pay rent, the accommodation does not offer the possibility of permanency. People living

in these situations are often considered to be part of the ‘hidden homeless’ population.

3.4 PEOPLE IN INSTITUTIONAL CARE WHO LACK PERMANENT HOUSING ARRANGEMENTS

Individuals are considered to be provisionally accommodated and ‘at risk’ of homelessness if there are no arrangements in

place to ensure they move into safe, permanent housing upon release from institutional care. This includes individuals who:

a) were homeless prior to admittance (where their stay may be short-term or long-term) and who have no

plan for permanent accommodation after release; or

b) had housing prior to admittance, but lost their housing while in institutional care; or

c) had housing prior to admittance, but cannot go back due to changes in their needs.

In either case, without adequate discharge planning and support, which includes arrangements for safe and reliable

housing (and necessary aftercare or community-based services), there is a likelihood that these individuals may transition

into homelessness following their release. Institutional care includes:

• Penal institutions

• Medical/mental health institutions

• Residential treatment programs or withdrawal management centers

• Children’s institutions/group homes

3.5 ACCOMMODATION/RECEPTION CENTERS FOR RECENTLY ARRIVED IMMIGRANTS AND REFUGEES

Prior to securing their own housing, recently arrived immigrants and refugees may be temporarily housed while receiving

settlement support and orientation to life in Canada. They are considered to be homeless if they have no means or

prospects of securing permanent housing.

• Mike K. likes this

#1000 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

A three year permit?

So what were renters with one year fixed-term leases considered up until a month ago, since their residence was only guaranteed for 12 months?

I think he is referring to the temporary occupancy use permit which was only granted for 3 years for the site

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users