Photo

Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#1181 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

I'm starting to really dislike politicians.

I dislike politicians too...

Which is why I probably won't vote in any future elections. The choices are abysmal and the results are even worse no matter who is elected.

#1182 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

But remember everyone populism is bad. BAD BAD BAD. The only reasonable approach is to have experts craft policy no one likes. Only stupid dummy heads want policies not crafted by experts.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:41 AM

The vacancy rate for purpose-built apartment buildings in Nanaimo is around 2.5 per cent.

Batch said while he expects an overall slowdown in B.C. construction starts due to a decline in population growth, apartment starts and purpose-built rental units in Nanaimo are expected to continue at a high pace.

https://www.nanaimob...ince-the-1970s/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#1184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:48 AM

Singles make up nearly half of Victoria households

Statistics show Greater Victoria has 33 per cent one-person households

https://www.vicnews....ria-households/

This figure means that almost three out of 10 households (28 per cent) are single households, the most common type of household in Canada since 2016. In Victoria’s Census Metropolitan Area the share of single households is even higher than the rest of Canada at 33 per cent, while the City of Victoria records a rate of 48 per cent. This means nearly half of the city’s households are single households.

well there is the problem causing the housing crisis.  people are hogging apartments.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 March 2019 - 07:50 AM.

#1185 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

So, it's not "nearly half," but literally a third. Why not say that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1186 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:59 AM

...well there is the problem causing the housing crisis.  people are hogging apartments.

Ugh. Now Brother Ben is probably going to force me into getting a room mate for my second bedroom.  :(

#1187 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

...while the City of Victoria records a rate of 48 per cent. This means nearly half of the city’s households are single households.

I think "the city's" is referring to the City of Victoria proper for which they recorded 48%.

• Mike K. likes this

#1188 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:12 AM

Right of passage is to finally live alone till you decide to "shack up" with someone on a more intimate basis.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1189 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

Singles make up nearly half of Victoria households

Statistics show Greater Victoria has 33 per cent one-person households

https://www.vicnews....ria-households/

well there is the problem causing the housing crisis.  people are hogging apartments.

There's a lot more nuance. Generally, people living in apartments are not "over housed" (NP and his two bedrooms are the exception; eat the rich!). Look at the typical unit types in the new developments going up: lots and lots of studios, a handful of two and three bedroom units. There is a physical bias toward single person households built in to our new housing market.

When it comes to the "over housed," it's the aging boomer demographic that has a lot more house per person than before. Places like Oak Bay actually have a shrinking population, even while adding new units!

• Nparker likes this

#1190 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

There's a lot more nuance. Generally, people living in apartments are not "over housed" (NP and his two bedrooms are the exception; eat the rich!). Look at the typical unit types in the new developments going up: lots and lots of studios, a handful of two and three bedroom units. There is a physical bias toward single person households built in to our new housing market.

When it comes to the "over housed," it's the aging boomer demographic that has a lot more house per person than before. Places like Oak Bay actually have a shrinking population, even while adding new units!

Back in the day, my bet is that most studios and one bedroom apartments had more than 1 person living in them.

#1191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

48% is nearly half.

the headline just referred to another statistic to help confuse.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 March 2019 - 08:25 AM.

#1192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

Headline says one thing, by-line another. Geez Louise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1193 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

Headline is COV, by-line is greater Victoria.  Poorly worded

#1194 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

Back in the day, my bet is that most studios and one bedroom apartments had more than 1 person living in them.

If apartments really are becoming increasingly under-occupied over time then the city would require a ton of new units just to keep the population level.

Some numbers from the back of the proverbial napkin:

Back in the day your neighbourhood had:

2,000 apartment units x 2.5 people per unit = 5,000 people

Today your neighbourhood has:
2,500 units x 2 people per unit = 5,000 people

A few years from now your neighbourhood might have:

3,000 units x 1.5 people per unit = 4,500 people

#1195 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:11 AM

Berkeley Tower owner increases buyout offer to tenants

Tenants at the Berkeley Tower in the West End had previously been offered an average of $10,000 per unit to vacate their homes to allow for major renovations. On Friday, the offer increased to an average of $15,000 per unit.

https://vancouversun...ffer-to-tenants

i can't find anything more recent on this file. anybody know more?

#1196 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

Ten-on-the-10th--Rental-housing-and-industry-Q&A-with-David-Hutniak-of-LandlordBC.jpg

Ten on the 10th: Rental housing industry Q&A with David Hutniak of LandlordBC

https://victoria.cit...-of-landlordbc/

Know it all.

#1197 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:37 AM

​Hutniak also added that the industry had begun warning civic officials of the state of the rental housing market since the 1990's. Over the decades little had been done by municipal councils to encourage the development of new purpose-built rentals (such as easing zoning and density restrictions to make rental developments viable) until the 2010's when a surge in private capital made development feasible due to a slowdown of the condominium market in a post-2008 economic landscape, while housing pressures boiled over due to low vacancy rates and stagnant supply.

With 96% of Victoria's rental housing built prior to 1980, redevelopment concerns force City to act on zoning restrictions

https://victoria.cit...restrictions-c/

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.

#1198 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:38 AM

A sweeping zoning change under consideration by Victoria council to ensure purpose-built rental buildings remain rental is being met with dismay by landlords and the development community

“This is a non-starter,” said David Hutniak, CEO of Landlord B.C.

Coun. Ben Isitt called for a “streamlined” approach to consultation.

“I think recognizing that we’re going to be far from, I think, unanimous support in the community for this approach. So ideally, not consuming too much staff resources, if possible, between now and [when] it comes to a more formal public hearing process would be my preference,” Isitt said.

https://www.timescol...-way-1.23876766

#1199 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

A sweeping zoning change under consideration by Victoria council to ensure purpose-built rental buildings remain rental is being met with dismay by landlords and the development community

“This is a non-starter,” said David Hutniak, CEO of Landlord B.C.

Coun. Ben Isitt called for a “streamlined” approach to consultation.

“I think recognizing that we’re going to be far from, I think, unanimous support in the community for this approach. So ideally, not consuming too much staff resources, if possible, between now and [when] it comes to a more formal public hearing process would be my preference,” Isitt said.

https://www.timescol...-way-1.23876766

What does Isitt mean? That reads really close to "people are going to disagree with me, so I want to avoid any situation where I might have to hear about it." That's a bit crazy, even for Ben.

#1200 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

What does Isitt mean? That reads really close to "people are going to disagree with me, so I want to avoid any situation where I might have to hear about it." That's a bit crazy, even for Ben.

Is it though? He's become terribly emboldened since his unquestioning minions became council members.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users