Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#1421 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 February 2022 - 08:53 AM

Couldn't believe this when I saw it - yes, its a whole house but ... $3,000/month?!

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 6.20.12 PM.png

#1422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:11 AM

Seems odd to use street view for your listing, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1423 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:14 AM

Probably $400 a month in property taxes. $150 for insurance and $2,500 a month interest on the mortgage! 

• Matt R. likes this

#1424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:17 AM

Soon they’ll tear it down, build six one and 2BR units on the property, and bring in $15,000/month.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1425 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:27 AM

Soon they’ll tear it down, build six one and 2BR units on the property, and bring in $15,000/month.

At least that will be much more affordable!

• Mike K., Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1426 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 06:46 PM

20% of all SFH in the Phoenix area are purpose built rentals.

I found that surprising.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1427 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,994 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 06:54 AM

B.C. Budget: Renter rebate off the table, but $600 rent supplements coming for vulnerable groups

The province is also rolling out a $600-a-month rent supplement for former youth in care under the age of 27 who are at risk of homelessness. The province said about half of all youth who receive government care end up homeless at some point in their lives.

A separate homelessness-response program aims to provide more than 3,000 people with a $600 monthly rent supplement to help them access market housing by the end of 2025.

Another $100 million from the 2022 fiscal year will fund the development of mixed-income rental housing for low-income families.

The rent supplement strategy for vulnerable groups is a shift for a government that has announced, but not delivered, a renters rebate during the past two election cycles, with the B.C. NDP in 2020 promising $400 for households who make up to $80,000 a year.

https://www.abbynews...nerable-groups/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 February 2022 - 06:54 AM.

#1428 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 08:04 AM

The province said about half of all youth who receive government care end up homeless at some point in their lives

The province might want to look at what is wrong with the youth in care system.

• Teardrop likes this

#1429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 08:26 AM

Where are we with $10/day daycare?
  • Matt R., m3m and Teardrop like this

Know it all.

#1430 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:37 PM

Is there somewhere I can access what the average rental rate is for a one bedroom, junior one bedroom, two apartment? Can I get historical information as well? Like what it would be for July 2021? I require definitive proof of what those rates would be.

Please PM me so I don't miss the answer here!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 01 March 2022 - 07:37 PM.

• Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 08:41 PM

You could find it through the CMHC’s data portal but who knows how reliable that data really is.

Know it all.

#1432 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 12:58 PM

You could find it through the CMHC’s data portal but who knows how reliable that data really is.

Okay... do I just search CMHC data portal?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 02:17 PM

Yes! Sorry, it had been a while as I don’t really use it as a regular source. It’s a bit convoluted but you’ll find all sorts of data on their website.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#1434 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,994 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 08:43 AM

The average rents paid by tenants in Vancouver and Victoria have increased by more than 20 per cent in the past six months, according to the newly released National Rental Ranking.

It's left many questioning how they will afford to continue paying for housing in a province that has seen worsening prices for renters for years.

One of those renters is Victoria nursing student Jett Carey, who said he's spent the last four years having to move again and again between shared houses because of high rents and low supply.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...toria-1.6390095

I think there are at least two things to learn here.

#1 Canada has too many students taking up housing
#2 with a name like Jett and being enrolled in nursing studies, that Karen deserves everything he has coming

Also why does it take so long to become a nurse? It’s not that difficult a job. We’d solve nursing shortages if we’d have then learning on the job after 6 months, with limited duties until they have full qualifications.

We do a lot of things wrong in this country, and the ridiculous post-secondary system that’s a huge money mill and industry in itself needs a do-over.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 March 2022 - 08:54 AM.

#1435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 08:56 AM

The average rents paid? I don't think so, CBC.

How can the average rental rate paid have risen by 20%, when 95% of rental tenants have remained in place over the last six months, where a rental rate increase cap of 1.5% has been mandated by the government? 

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1436 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:45 AM

#2 with a name like Jett and being enrolled in nursing studies, that Karen deserves everything he has coming

1970's tommy doesn't quite know what to think about that nursing remark...

Attached Images

• img714.jpg

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:41 PM

Ehhhhhhhh!
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1438 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 07:44 PM

There was an item on 60 Minutes tonight about Wall St. companies buying up single family dwellings, spending some bucks on them and then renting them out for pretty high rates.

The guy they interviewed said that the dream of owning your own house with a white picket fence has been modified to renting your own house with a white picket fence.

Too many of the millenials who are now looking for houses don't make enough, or have enough money for a down payment to buy.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1439 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 08:56 PM

Call from urban containment boundaries on line seven, that’s line seven.
  • phx and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#1440 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:23 PM

Been looking at renting a condo and am in contact with the owner. He states he+wife live in Europe, their son used to live in the unit but has departed. Owner has proposed using NAI Global as a management company to handle things locally, including payments. He's provided a little bit of detail of how it works, with a promise of a full detailing if I want to proceed, and has also offered to talk via phone, for what that's worth.

I'm a little weirded out by the owner living overseas. NAI is unknown to me but appears to be legit, though their reviews on Google are not altogether flattering. Anyone here have experience with rental owners living overseas and using a local company, including NAI?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)