Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1893 replies to this topic

#1681 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 09:18 AM

The government didn't run this project, they just provided a low-interest construction loan.

Are you asking if private developers can deliver housing more efficiently than government organizations, in terms of planning? There are lots of variables involved in government projects, though, such as already owned real-estate, favourable lending rates, and gifts-in-kind to build affordable housing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1682 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 05:14 PM

919627_24.jpg

919627_23.jpg

Investor Alert - Fernwood Five-Plex in need of restoration and TLC in a great area near Royal Jubilee Hospital and downtown. Offered well below assessed value, here is an opportunity to build sweat equity and help solve the inner-city housing shortage. Five good sized units - only one presently tenanted - with high ceilings and large windows on a private, well-treed lot with on site parking and in house laundry in three of the units. Pre-listing inspection in hand and an underground oil tank removed with satisfactory soil testing already done by the seller. Easy to view - book your showing today as this type of property does not come available very often.

919627_19.jpg

$1,299,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-fernwood

919627_8.jpg

919627_2.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2023 - 05:15 PM.

#1683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 05:22 PM

...Fernwood Five-Plex in need of restoration...

And by restoration they mean demolition, right?

#1684 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:22 AM

CAMPBELL: ‘Lepers’: Dirty Victoria landlords refuse to rent to single moms to avoid ‘drama’

One single mom had a friend pretend he was her husband to secure a rental unit

https://www.vicnews....to-avoid-drama/

“Unfortunately, as soon as landlords hear the words ‘single mom’ they usually stop talking to me or hang up on me because they want nothing to do with the ‘drama’ that follows a single mom,” she said. “Or at least that’s what I was told when I moved in here. I didn’t understand why I kept getting ghosted by every person that I had contacted about a place for me and my son to live. Until a land manager … informed me that people don’t like to rent to single moms because of what comes with them. My son’s father has never been involved and could care less so this was something I was unfamiliar with and just didn’t understand at the time. I still don’t agree with it but am still struggling to find something that isn’t considered a public place to my neighbours.”

This prejudice is an unfair stereotype. I’ve been – and still am – a landlord and have never had trouble renting to a single mother. The problem has always been dudes who get drunk and do damage.

This kind of discrimination has got to stop.

Uh oh, sounds like this landlord has a different type of stereotype, against "dudes".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2023 - 10:23 AM.

#1685 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:24 AM

#everyonesavictim

#1686 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:40 AM

Hate to break it to this lady but I would far rather rent to a single mom than a single guy or group of guys. Who is to stay that the boyfriend that a single mom might have will be any worse then the boyfriend that a women already has?!

I get the feeling that a lot of the stuff that appears these days is completely made up in order to pursue a narrative.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 08:18 AM

What the?

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.02.08-11_17_12.png

#1688 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 08:19 AM

Floyd's is into residential rentals now?
  • grantpalin, Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#1689 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2023 - 08:30 AM

Yeh, that line they never fully removed that was diverting traffic around the Cook St. supply tents is confusing.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:04 AM

B.C. rent hikes capped at 2% but Victoria’s skyrocketed by 19%, says new report

Victoria resident says landlords are finding ways to evict tenants to raise rents

https://www.vicnews....ays-new-report/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2023 - 08:04 AM.

#1691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:40 AM

B.C. rent hikes capped at 2% but Victoria’s property taxes set to skyrocket by 9%. Victoria residents say local politicians are finding ways to fritter away money on vanity projects and social engineering while basic infrastructure crumbles.
  • dasmo, Daveyboy, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#1692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:50 AM

And many Victoria renters are fed up with the prices, posting concerns on social media and contacted Black Press Media. Some have claimed landlords are evicting tenants by saying they are moving family members into the units – only to simply raise the rents and rent out the home to someone else.

Doreen Marion Gee wrote about the issue to the Victoria News.

Good ol' Doreen Gee.  Complaining on Facebook since 2004.

To put it in media terms:

She states - without evidence - that some are using "very effective tools that unscrupulous landlords can easily utilize to torment good tenants – making their lives such a living hell that they are forced to leave just to keep their sanity.”

#1693 IPH

IPH
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 01:27 PM

And many Victoria renters are fed up with the prices, posting concerns on social media and contacted Black Press Media. Some have claimed landlords are evicting tenants by saying they are moving family members into the units – only to simply raise the rents and rent out the home to someone else.

Doreen Marion Gee wrote about the issue to the Victoria News.

if they are then they are subject to a penalty of 12 months rent paid to the evicted tenant.  So I suspect most are not dumb enough to try this.

Edited by IPH, 16 February 2023 - 01:28 PM.

#1694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 11:27 AM

Greater Victoria's unaffordable housing market is forcing people into extreme situations

Amber Powell is no stranger to how unaffordable life on Greater Victoria can be—after all, she has been going to university part time for five years in order to work so she could pay her way through to her degree.

But when she wound up without a place to stay last year, she found herself in an impossible situation, with no available rental units she could afford.

Across Greater Victoria, renters, homeowners, and those struggling with or on the verge of homelessness say that an increasingly unaffordable housing market is driving them to take extreme measures just to make ends meet.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...using-1.6756930

No indication what Amber Powell does to support herself. The first paragraph is a bit convoluted.

Oh hold on. Director of Events UVSS.

https://www.linkedin...owell-6b992014b

How convenient. Related by work to the other UVic radical interviewed in the article.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2023 - 11:33 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 06:32 AM

“When I moved in (nine years earlier), the rent was $1,200. After three years, the landlady raised the rent to $1,500 (with) three months’ notice. Then … she came to my house, sat me down in my living room and told me that her investors (as she owns many properties) want the rent raised.”

She wanted the rent raised by $700 a month, which is outrageous, or she faced “eviction.” – she “signed under duress.”

In 2022, her ex was late three times paying the child support so she was late paying the rent and paid a $65 late fee.

That’s when things got ugly, as the landlady suddenly wanted her out because Tracey didn’t agree to the outrageous (and illegal) rent hike.

“She took me out for drinks and appies, ‘her treat.’

(Then) she pulled out paperwork – and eviction notice … She made me sign it while I was intoxicated. I have concussions so alcohol hits me faster. I was in no state to sign documents.”

Tracey then tried to fight it, but it was no use and so she moved out and “washed my hands of it all.”

Now the place is renting out for $2,800 a month.

“That’s why I was really kicked out,” Tracey said. “Greedy slumlord.”

https://www.vicnews....-sign-eviction/

Not my fault, I was drunk!  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 March 2023 - 06:33 AM.

#1696 sea beams

sea beams
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:13 PM

I wish to respond to Victoria Watcher's snide jabs at me on this forum in February 2023. Dear VW: "Good 'ole Doreen" has been raising awareness on important issues for the past three decades, making a positive difference in this community! My efforts led to a finalist status for a Victoria Leadership Award in 2012. So, tell me, Victoria Watcher, how many awards have you won? It seems to me that, after reading just a few of the gargantuan mountain of  comments from yourself on this forum, when it comes to meaningless rambling and "complaining" -- without any real constructive action -- you take the prize, sir!!! 

#1697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 11:36 AM

I wish to respond to Victoria Watcher's snide jabs at me on this forum in February 2023. Dear VW: "Good 'ole Doreen" has been raising awareness on important issues for the past three decades, making a positive difference in this community! My efforts led to a finalist status for a Victoria Leadership Award in 2012. So, tell me, Victoria Watcher, how many awards have you won? It seems to me that, after reading just a few of the gargantuan mountain of  comments from yourself on this forum, when it comes to meaningless rambling and "complaining" -- without any real constructive action -- you take the prize, sir!!! 

I'm not aware of winning any awards recently.   But I note you did not win either, in 2012.  I've lost track of how many nominations I've received since then.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2023 - 11:36 AM.

#1698 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 12:03 PM

I grant VW the coveted VV old man yelling at the clouds award!
  • Nparker, lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#1699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 12:44 PM

Well hold on now, VW was just awarded a prize for complaining and no constructive action.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1700 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 01:00 PM

To make it official here is the award certificate. 

PjnfwUH.jpeg

• Mike K. and Love the rock like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users