BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
656 replies to this topic

#1 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

I checked out Mayfair a couple of weeks ago. It's actually a pretty slick mall now.

Anybody remember Mayfair before their first expansion? Back when Woodward's and the Woodward's supermarket were the big tenants? It was such a crappy mall. The various expansions over the decades have worked wonders on the place.

Anyway, I sure would like to see Mayfair assume its ultimate destiny. I'm talking about moving all surface parking underground and putting fancy new commercial space on the Blanshard lot beside Toys r' Us, a proper "main" entrance on the corner of Douglas and Finlayson (right to the sidewalk), and residential on the lot at the corner of Finlayson and Blanshard.

Will something like this ever happen?

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

they could also continue the roof top parking over the rest of the new expansion too.

I remember Woodwards and the food store. The first expansion and the second.

My Uncle and Grandfather when kids would play in a pond where Woodwards and now the Bay is. My uncle (great) 94 years old now...told me that when the built WoodWards they had to drive these huge pilings down kinda like what they did to build the Empress. I though it was cool because I noticed they did the same thing when they built the new ToyRus store in the 90's.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

Anyway, I sure would like to see Mayfair assume its ultimate destiny.

I think its ultimate destiny would be for Mayfair to take a late-night run and destroy Hillside Mall.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

But Hillside Mall is going to expand soon...then it will be larger than Mayfair.

#5 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

^How many "plus sized" clothing stores can a mall have?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#6 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

I remember Woodwards food floor had they great grocery conveyor belts at the checkouts so you could pick up your groceries down at the parking lot.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

Here is the development across douglas from Mayfair Mall

http://mayfairwalk.ca/main.php

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

I checked out Mayfair a couple of weeks ago. It's actually a pretty slick mall now.

Anybody remember Mayfair before their first expansion? Back when Woodward's and the Woodward's supermarket were the big tenants? It was such a crappy mall. The various expansions over the decades have worked wonders on the place.

Anyway, I sure would like to see Mayfair assume its ultimate destiny. I'm talking about moving all surface parking underground and putting fancy new commercial space on the Blanshard lot beside Toys r' Us, a proper "main" entrance on the corner of Douglas and Finlayson (right to the sidewalk), and residential on the lot at the corner of Finlayson and Blanshard.

Will something like this ever happen?

Pre-1972? It was a painful strip mall that was lamer than Town & Country.

First, I loved that mall after its mid-70s upgrades. When it had a fully decked out Woodwards and that main expansion, I thought it was great. As a kid, I couldn't help but love a mall with a department store toy department and two toy stores.

I've said this before, I think Mayfair needs to be convinced build a pay parkade in one of the available corners and make the area into a transit hub. They could front the parkade with condos or offices or work/live.

- Mike

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

MAN FALLS OFF MAYFAIR MALL

May 22, 2009

ONE MAN IS IN SERIOUS CONDITION TONIGHT AFTER FALLING APPROXIMATELY 25 FEET FROM THE ROOF OF THE MAYFAIR MALL.

VICTORIA AMBULANCE AND FIRE WERE ON SCENE SHORTLY AFTER FOUR OCLOCK THIS AFTERNOON. THE MAN WAS RUSHED TO HOSPITAL WITH SERIOUS INJURIES.

THERE WERE NO WITNESSES --- HE WAS FOUND ON THE GROUND AFTER HIS FALL NEAR THE NORTH WEST ENTRANCE TO THE MALL BY VANCOUVER ISLAND SAVINGS.

THERE ARE NO FURTHER DETAILS, AND EMERGENCY PERSONNEL SAY WITH NO WITNESSES, IT IS UNCLEAR AT THIS POINT WHAT CAUSED HIM TO FALL.

- LIZ MCARTHUR

And...this just in: investigators have discovered the cause of the tragic fall: astounding stupidity.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

Hope he recovers. I wonder if he was drinking Red Bull and thought he could fly.

#11 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

And...this just in: investigators have discovered the cause of the tragic fall: astounding stupidity.

Please don't say that. You don't know who the individual was.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hope he recovers. I wonder if he was drinking Red Bull and thought he could fly.

No he didn't. He died. I'm not posting what I know about the situation, but these comments have my back up. :mad:

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

^why won't you us what you know?

#14 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

^why won't you us what you know?

Because I'm not posting confidential information on a public board.
I'm just stating that the comments surrounding this individual's death are insensitive. Let's leave it at that.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

Is there a US navy ship in port?

#16 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

I agree with Martini, it is astounding to me how otherwise decent people get so unthinkingly cruel when they are anonymous and online.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

Neither side of this discussion is about:

Condo development, office development, commercial development and all other forms of real-estate development from across Victoria BC's four core municipalities (not including downtown Victoria)

#18 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

BUSINESS BEAT: Victoria's Mayfair set to sparkle on its 50th birthday
By Don Descoteau - Victoria News
Published: October 17, 2013 5:00 PM
Updated: October 17, 2013 5:52 PM

More than 30 years after the fact, Mayfair Shopping Centre building services technician Bruce Knight remembers well the early days of his career at the mall. He was originally hired for summer relief in 1983.

The following year he was among many new full-time hires as the mall underwent a major expansion, the first of a series of improvements that happened over the following six years.

As he helps Mayfair prepare to celebrate its 50th anniversary with visitors and mall staff today (Oct. 18), Knight recalls the look of the place when he started.

“It was just really small. All we had was from basically where Anne Louise (Jewellers) and Purdy’s (Chocolates) are now, down to where admin is,” he says, listing stores that are well inside the current entrances.

It was even smaller in 1963, when it opened as one of the region’s first shopping centres, one in which most stores and services had outdoor entrances.

The first major changes came in 1974. “There was the big trend in the ’70s when everything got enclosed,” says Mayfair marketing manager Julie McCracken.

http://www.vicnews.c.../228268651.html

#19 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Anyone else notice the change in The Bay's word mark on ONE side of its buildings at Mayfair Shopping Centre?! One side (Blanshard) still has the ribbon-y 'The Bay' but the Finlayson side has the (new) old-school 'Hudsons Bay' black lettering - ribbon-look gone. Surely they will do that to ALL their signage?! I, for one, prefer the old-school non-ribbon-y look, more classic.

#20 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Alrighty-then.

The ribbony-The Bay sign is now gone - so imagine they are changing everything over to the old school signage - like the masthead on their web site:

http://www.thebay.com

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users