BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#561 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

We are Victoria, Sak's and Nordstrom's aren't gonna come, Simpsons is our only real immediate hope is years away.

Do you mean Simons? I visited the Park Royal location a couple weeks ago and was quite impressed. Didn't go in expecting to buy anything, but left with a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise ... then went back the next day for something else that had caught my eye.

Edited by vortoozo, 08 January 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#562 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

^ Yes, I meant Simons.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#563 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

it just means 4w drive. the duallys are not all drive.

Then shouldn't it be 4x6?

#564 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

Medusa-like tendrils that reach out under their own power...

You misspelled spandrels.

#565 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:34 PM

Starbucks has opened at Indigo Books in Mayfair Mall.

#566 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

Is there already a TD at Mayfair? Based on their sign variance application, there's a TD Bank located in the new unit behind the future restaurant.

Capture.PNG

#567 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

There is not.  There is one very close by, though, in the same strip mall plaza that's home to Save On Foods and Tim Horton's. 

#568 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:31 AM

mayfair has asked for some variances for oversized signs.   "mayfair" "sport chek" and a couple other ones i forget.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 March 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#569 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

mayfair has asked for some variances for oversized signs.   "mayfair" "sport chek" and a couple other ones i forget.

It's for the anchors. So Mayfair, Sport Chek, Indigo, and Indigo Kids. The plans also show TD Bank's signage but I don't think they need a variance for that one, it's just there for context. 

via https://tender.victo...531130251936483

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#570 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:18 AM

A couple small renovations coming. LUSH is going in at N104 across from Aritzia, and Pandora will be moving to N110 beside Aritzia.

#571 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

Has anybody adjusted their shopping habits in order to specifically shop at Mayfair because of the renovations?

I went to Indigo and surrounds recently, wasn't at all impressed, and won't be going back (despite being a huge Chapters customer when they were downtown).

Talk about much ado (and time, and money spent) about nothing, the renos are a huge yawn.

Indigo isn't a book store as much as it's a junk and trinket shop.

• Nparker, tedward and Victoria Watcher like this

#572 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

I thought I'd prefer Indigo at Mayfair to Downtown because of parking but I've found myself going to Bolens more. I used to just stay on the 4 until the stop in front of Chapters but now I have to get off the 4, take something that goes to Mayfair (which seem to enjoy showing up in groups of 2 or 3 then nothing for 10 minutes), get off at Mayfair, wait for the 30/31 at Mayfair. Or I can walk to Bolens from Camosun and take the 4 downtown. I guess once school is out Mayfair will be good since it's a closer bus ride (and Bolens would require a transfer) but for most the year Bolens is now much easier for me.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#573 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:17 AM

No. The renos have proven underwhelming, and added nothing really new other than Indigo and Sportchek, the latter of which I have no reason to shop at. I like the new Indigo, but would have preferred it stay downtown, since I'm there every other day and the 6 ended right in front of it. It's less accessible to me at Mayfair (take the 6, then a bit of a walk). I'd prefer to shop at Russel's or Munro's anyways.

• Nparker likes this

#574 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

Indigo's book selection is abysmal, perhaps 1/4 of what was available at Chapters downtown.

Russell, Bolen, and Munro's all easily outdo Indigo in terms of quality of the inventory, and the overall number of books on the shelves.

I think it's a stretch (if not a bit of a porky) to call the Mayfair Indigo a "bookstore" when wall to wall it looks more like a Dollar Store.

#575 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

Indigo's book selection is abysmal, perhaps 1/4 of what was available at Chapters downtown.

Russell, Bolen, and Munro's all easily outdo Indigo in terms of quality of the inventory, and the overall number of books on the shelves.

I think it's a stretch (if not a bit of a porky) to call the Mayfair Indigo a "bookstore" when wall to wall it looks more like a Dollar Store.

Chapters was the old model, Indigo is the new business model. Much less stock on hand, but a huge selection online with free shipping to the store for you to pick up (and browse some more, they hope). They have decided their competition is Amazon, not brick-and-mortar bookstores.

So yes, less of a bookstore and more of a magazine rack.

• Cassidy likes this

#576 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

I am so much less inclined to make an impulse purchase online than I am in a brick & mortar store. Bolen's and Munro's will likely get most of my literary dollars.

#577 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:09 AM

Indigo's business model is seriously flawed.

Why would I order a book for $29.95 from Indigo, and then have to drive down to Mayfair to pick it up ... when I could order the same book for $29.95 from Amazon Prime, and have it delivered directly to the front door of my house 2 days later?

Indigo have shot themselves in the foot, as do all businesses who misunderstand why customers use Amazon Prime in the first place  (so they don't have to drive anywhere, and they don't have to wait - in short, maximum convenience).

And if I really want the book "tonight" (which i sometimes do) ... I'll drive not to Indigo (because it's highly likely not to be in stock) ... but to Bolen books, where I'll pay $29.95 for the same book from stock and get it "right now".

• tjv likes this

#578 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Indigo's business model is seriously flawed.

Why would I order a book for $29.95 from Indigo, and then have to drive down to Mayfair to pick it up ... when I could order the same book for $29.95 from Amazon Prime, and have it delivered directly to the front door of my house 2 days later?

Indigo have shot themselves in the foot, as do all businesses who misunderstand why customers use Amazon Prime in the first place  (so they don't have to drive anywhere, and they don't have to wait - in short, maximum convenience).

And if I really want the book "tonight" (which i sometimes do) ... I'll drive not to Indigo (because it's highly likely not to be in stock) ... but to Bolen books, where I'll pay $29.95 for the same book from stock and get it "right now".

It depends on circumstance. I've ordered from Indigo a number of times, because I know that an Amazon delivery will arrive while I am at work and I'll come home to a "missed delivery" notice on my apartment mailbox with instructions to go to a post office the following day. On the other hand, there is an Indigo next door to my workplace, and when I lived in Montreal there was an Indigo a block away from the metro station I used daily.

Their model certainly doesn't work for all people all the time, but the business appears to be healthy so it must be working for some. A variety of options is a good thing, and I would still much rather peruse the stacks at Russell or Bolen than click through a website.

#579 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

Cassidy, you aren't their target demo. My wife loves indigo and has already spent more there than she ever did at chapters downtown. I think generally it's a store for women. That said, the reno isnt all that exciting, but the mall was getting a little dated and needed some love.

Edited by RFS, 05 April 2019 - 08:34 AM.

#580 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:38 AM

And Best Buy used to be full of CDs and DVDs, what's your point?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users