BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#101 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Uptown was crying out for an actual sit-down restaurant.

A Smitty's, an ABC or another Denny's or Red Robin's would be a good fit at Mayfair.

#102 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

Not noticeably busier.  You need tens of thousands in your catchment area.

I was mainly thinking and comparing the atmosphere there generally to the pre-Brown's establishment. Hell I remember what the whole mall was like after Steve Nash Fitness moved from our old location on Cloverdale & Douglas in January 2015: Uptown then was practically tumbleweeds blowing and now on that level, with Shaw and soon to open Whole Foods, if you don't get there early forget about parking close the gym you're down in the bowels of the mall.....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#103 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Uptown then was practically tumbleweeds blowing and now on that level, with Shaw and soon to open Whole Foods, if you don't get there early forget about parking close the gym you're down in the bowels of the mall.....

People will park at Save-on-Foods and jay walk across four lanes of traffic do do their shopping, and it's just a matter of time before somebody gets badly injured, or worse.

#104 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

I was mainly thinking and comparing the atmosphere there generally to the pre-Brown's establishment. Hell I remember what the whole mall was like after Steve Nash Fitness moved from our old location on Cloverdale & Douglas in January 2015: Uptown then was practically tumbleweeds blowing and now on that level, with Shaw and soon to open Whole Foods, if you don't get there early forget about parking close the gym you're down in the bowels of the mall.....

That's where we are supposed to park for the gym. Plenty of spaces and an elvator ride right up to the gym practically.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#105 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

That's where we are supposed to park for the gym. Plenty of spaces and an elvator ride right up to the gym practically.

I am well aware of that - I can read signs after all - but that wasn't my point if you follow the thread.

#106 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Sorry... just "bowls of the mall" just had a tone to it. Damn inner monologue.

Oh.. and I have read the thread... so I writ that tone off to inner monologue as well...
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Hmmm, take an elevator ride to the gym.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#108 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

So for $72 million they could build 10 kilometers of covered, air conditioned bike lane. Imagine how much they could build if they didn't have to put walls and a roof on it.

#109 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

Hmmm, take an elevator ride to the gym.

It is 6 stories from the underground to the gym... and fire escape stairwells at that.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 23 August 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#110 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:20 PM

It is 6 stories from the underground to the gym... and fire escape stairwells at that.

But you're there for exercise right?

#111 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

A Smitty's, an ABC or another Denny's or Red Robin's would be a good fit at Mayfair.

Eh? Denny's and Red Robin are both across the street! I think better options would be a Joey's for upper scale, or another Cora's.

#112 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

But you're there for exercise right?

Yes and I excise at the gym, not in a ciderblock windowless bunker with stairs. Regardless, stairs or elevators, gym patrons are supposed to park downstairs.

#113 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

Just sayin, some people could forgo a gym membership if they used the stairs regularly and forgot the elevator/escalator.

I see it at my gym as well, people come up the elevator then jump on a stair climber machine.

#114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

...I think better options would be a Joey's for upper scale, or another Cora's.

An Original Joe's or Moxie's would work well at Mayfair.

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Yes and I excise at the gym, not in a ciderblock windowless bunker with stairs. Regardless, stairs or elevators, gym patrons are supposed to park downstairs.

I used to work out in that type of bunker!

A very young VHF, in his second home after moving out of the folks house (circa 1988), lived at 350 Douglas St.  I used to run up 14 flights of stairs, then take the elevator down.  20 repetitions a day.  Great cardio, great for the legs (I used to be a distance runner).

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-23 20-46-35.png

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

Eh? Denny's and Red Robin are both across the street! I think better options would be a Joey's for upper scale, or another Cora's.

Denny's has been in that location for 40 years, is dated and could use a larger space.

#117 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

I used to work out in that type of bunker!

A very young VHF, in his second home after moving out of the folks house (circa 1988), lived at 350 Douglas St.  I used to run up 14 flights of stairs, then take the elevator down.  20 repetitions a day.  Great cardio, great for the legs (I used to be a distance runner).

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-23 20-46-35.png

Small town; I lived at 350 Douglas on the very end unit on the left side of the image on the 5th floor - I walked (never ran :)) up and down those same stairs. I rarely if ever used the elevator probably out of a sense of guilt. The requirement for SNFW members to park elsewhere only came into force about a year ago I presume in anticipation of the expansion of the Shaw call center and of course the eventual opening of Whole Foods - so that customers of both would presumably have easier parking access. 

#118 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

Just sayin, some people could forgo a gym membership if they used the stairs regularly and forgot the elevator/escalator.

I see it at my gym as well, people come up the elevator then jump on a stair climber machine.

This was a meme before there was even a word for it:

america-fitness-s.jpg
  • Mike K. likes this

#119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

For a mall that's not a bad face to the street.

The west side parking lot.

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

#120 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

I had not thought of this until seeing the final photo above. Will Island Savings become "attached" to the rest of the mall post renovation or will it remain a stand-alone structure?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users