BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#121 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Construction trailers are being moved onsite today.

Construction trailers are on site today on the north side of the mall off of Tolmie Ave.

• Nparker likes this

#122 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

I had not thought of this until seeing the final photo above. Will Island Savings become "attached" to the rest of the mall post renovation or will it remain a stand-alone structure?

Interesting thought; based on the rendering I would guess the former which would be a 'Back to the Future' scenario for IS/FWCU, since they started off as part of the mall when that location first opened.

• Nparker likes this

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Interesting thought; based on the rendering I would guess the former which would be a 'Back to the Future' scenario for IS/FWCU, since they started off as part of the mall when that location first opened.

That was my thought as well.

#124 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

I think they might knock the Island Savings building down so they can incorporate it into the new structure with the roof top parking.

#125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

I think they're staying put.

http://victoria.citi...plans-revealed/

Mayfair-Shopping-Centre-expansion-site-m

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

I think they might knock the Island Savings building down so they can incorporate it into the new structure with the roof top parking.

Less than 3 years after Island Savings spent a lot of money and time renovating the former Macaroni Grill into a bank? That will have been money well spent.  :whyme:

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

I think they're staying put.

That makes more sense.

#128 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

I used to work out in that type of bunker!

A very young VHF, in his second home after moving out of the folks house (circa 1988), lived at 350 Douglas St.  I used to run up 14 flights of stairs, then take the elevator down.  20 repetitions a day.  Great cardio, great for the legs (I used to be a distance runner).

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-23 20-46-35.png

Hah, I used to live in that bldg on the 11th floor. Bachelor, but good park view.

#129 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:41 PM

Shovels have been in the ground

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

Alpine shrubs

IMG_4842.jpg

Will they find any old bricks down there?

IMG_4843.jpg

• Nparker and 2F2R like this

#130 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

Looks like they already have!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#131 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:23 AM

The former Baker Brick and Tile brickyard was there.

The use of brick was considered somewhat unusual for a Victoria residence but is explained by the owner’s ties to the Baker Brick Co. James Baker (1854-1929) built this house as a retirement home (said to be built with the last bricks that he made), and furnished it exclusively with products from Weiler’s furniture store. He also built 968 Balmoral Rd (North Park) although he never lived in it. The Bakers were well-known contractors and brick manufacturers, and established the Baker Brick and Tile Co on Douglas St in 1891. 

http://www.victoriah...scovery714.html

“The Brick yard was huge and was located where Mayfair Mall stands today. There were many employed there with many managers etc. Many of the brick homes in Victoria today are built from these bricks, including James Baker’s last home at 714 Discovery St. (still stands today).I would imagine many other buildings including some business downtown were built with these bricks. James brother Michael’s home is also standing which the brothers built with their brick at 968 Balmoral.”

http://www.racerocks...e-baker-bricks/

#132 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:25 AM

Do you have Baker bricks in YOUR chimney?

#133 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:46 AM

oh boy how awesome would it be if they could salvage some & incorporate them into the new building somehow. even if it's just a dais to put the old clock on, or an archway like what's left of the old sir james douglas school.
  • Bingo likes this

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Why do malls still need clocks?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

I guess the same people who still need malls. Occasionally, some people still like to get away from their laptop/smart phone/tablet and actually interact with other human beings. And yes, I am fully aware of the irony of this statement being made on an internet forum.

• VicHockeyFan and Taj like this

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

Few people still wear a wristwatch, so it is nice to have a windup clocktower to keep us informed when the internet crashes.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#137 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

well *that* clock is a piece of history & has been in the mall for as long as i can remember. plus kids these days have have maybe never seen an analog clock with the minute & hour hands, & gears inside etc.
  • Nparker likes this

#138 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Speaking of mall redevelopment, not sure if this has been posted yet bUT massive new plan is in the works for lougheed town centre in Vancouver. 23 condo towers planned some up to 65 storeys

http://www.vancitybu...edevelopment-2/
  • lanforod likes this

#139 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

Speaking of mall redevelopment, not sure if this has been posted yet bUT massive new plan is in the works for lougheed town centre in Vancouver. 23 condo towers planned some up to 65 storeys

Wow - and to think we'd (mostly) on VV be happy with a few 6-8 story residential buildings at Hillside or Mayfair and everyone was ecstatic when it was announced by Saanich an all of ELEVEN-floor building would is to go up at Uptown.....

That said up to 65 stories seems a bit high for that area of Burnaby. Wouldn't be at all surprised to read about some opposition to that viz maintaining north shore view corridors. I would think 35-40 floors would be more apropos. Regardless between this one, Oakridge and Brentwood there is *lots* going on in YVR re: mall re-development.

#140 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

11,000 residential units!!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users