BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#341 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

Evening delivery = the greatest technological hurdle in human history.

Eh, lots of packages delivered to my house via UPS have come in after dark.

#342 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Eh, lots of packages delivered to my house via UPS have come in after dark.

To be fair, this is what UPS's site is advising me:

Scheduled Delivery Updated To: Tuesday, 07/10/2018, By End of Day

I guess that gives them another 8 hours 47 minutes to be on time.

#343 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

I think the latest I've ever received anything would be around 6:30pm or thereabouts. I'm just noting how that 6:00pm-9:00pm slot would be ideal for most people, whereas that 8:00am- 5:00pm slot is terrible for most people.

• Nparker likes this

#344 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

My delivery has not yet happened.

#345 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

I use Canada Post's Flex Mail address for most online shopping. Can pick up at a PO near my work more conveniently than at the one nearest where I live. That way, UPS, Fedex, whatever isn't my problem.

#346 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

My delivery has not yet happened.

Was it delivered yet?

#347 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

Was it delivered yet?

Yes, around 5:15 PM. And since I played a part in derailing this thread I am going to slap myself with the following:

off-topic.jpg

• todd and DustMagnet like this

#348 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

Can’t you setup a local post office to accept shipments on your behalf?

Best thing to do is to ship it to your work if its a reasonably sized package and not a couch

I think online shopping is perfectly relevant as they are direct competitors to shopping centers.  Here is an article from Breakfast Televison titled The Death of the Shopping Centre.  Just look at Hillside with an empty former Sears store and countless empty storefronts

https://www.btvancou...-shopping-mall/

• shoeflack likes this

#349 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

A lot of people can not ship things to there office. Against policy.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#350 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Tell your work to chill the heck out

• Matt R. likes this

#351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

Tell your work to chill the heck out

I am not sure the CRA is much into "chilling".

• sdwright.vic and tjv like this

#352 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

^Ha, when we get a case that clinks we know the bosses' booze delivery has arrived.

Edited by Rob Randall, 11 July 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#353 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

Yes, in your case I could easily see that.  I've never had a problem with previous employers thou

#354 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:07 AM

Signs are up on Douglas Street announcing Sport Chek as a tenant at the north end of the expansion.

#355 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

No offense to the Mayfair leasing agents, but I have to say the announced tenants for the expansion are kind of ho-hum.

• Cassidy likes this

#356 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

Signs are up on Douglas Street announcing Sport Chek as a tenant at the north end of the expansion.

I wonder if they will close the store at Bay Centre, that place is dead most times I visit.

they will 100% close the Sport Chek across the street, the store about the old Future Shop.

#357 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

No offense to the Mayfair leasing agents, but I have to say the announced tenants for the expansion are kind of ho-hum.

Indeed ... I'm not seeing any shops yet that would encourage me to visit Mayfair any more than I ever did ... which was about two or three times a year for birthday presents, and perhaps Christmas presents.

I'm afraid the only thing that will inject a bit of excitement into this project is the announcement that there's going to be an Apple Store involved ... which I doubt will happen.

The Victoria Apple Store "rumour" is always out there ... but nobody can ever clearly elucidate where it actually came from, or who (in a position to know) originated it?

I'm told Apple uses two primary metrics in their decisions about where they put their stores:

1. General wealth of the population (Victoria may do OK on this, unless Apple Canada feels folks spend too much of their income on rent/mortgage payments? ... in short the cost of living is too high.)
  2. Population DENSITY (not overall population, which, based on other Apple Stores - Victoria far exceeds the minimum requirement)

Victoria would most definitely lose out big time on the population density metric.

#358 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

I wonder if they will close the store at Bay Centre, that place is dead most times I visit.

they will 100% close the Sport Chek across the street, the store about the old Future Shop.

Bay Centre could be easily rebranded as a Mark's with the possible redevelopment of the parking lot/ shopping centre they are currently in.
  • Nparker and grantpalin like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#359 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

As I said to a friend the other day when driving by - he audibly groaned at the Sport Chek sign - not to mention that you just know there will be a bunch of the usual women-only-interested clothing shops - put a frigging Bass Pro and a high-end(ish) hardware supply store in the joint to appeal to those of us in the other 50% of the population demographic, and the place would strike gold. Just visit the Bass Pro at the Tsawwassen Commons mall for proof; a quick calculation tells me I spent $3K in that place all by my little lonesome in its first year of operations. Two of my close fishing buddies spent well beyond that figure at the same place.

So pay attention mall owner / administration peoples: bras and makeup aren't the only items that can make you a buck or two. Indeed like Cassidy as it stands I have little to no incentive to visit this or really any Victoria area mall because they are full of the same suspect (mostly clothing) chain stores which for the most part I don't give a rat's patoot for. However include a joint with Fenwick fishing rods, Shimano and Daiwa spin cast reels, not to mention another male-friendly place perhaps offering a decent selection of drill bits, interior/exterior paint or caulking products, and I'm in dammit......

#360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

...The Victoria Apple Store "rumour" is always out there...

Along with the IKEA is coming rumour.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users