BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
656 replies to this topic

#481 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

Sorry I should have been clearer, I was speaking specifically with regard to the Mayfair expansion. It seems to be women's fashions, more fashions and yet even more fashions. Put something like Rosen's (although I think they bailed on Victoria years ago, can't recall for certain) or even a Mr Big & Tall in there - give men a reason to head to and shop at Mayfair. As it is....phhhhhhht.

How about a Sharper Image or another dealie/gadget place?

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#482 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

I used to go to Sears at Hillside for tools... and then their tool section disappeared. And then Sears disappeared. Coincidence?  :squint:

#483 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

/\....Yup those all work for sure LJ; this is where I really miss some of those funky and uber-cool retailers in the South Granville district when I lived in YVR.

Outlets like Industrial Revolution, Restoration Hardware, Bobili.....the crap offered up in most malls today is just beyond dreck. In general Victoria retailing is light years behind most other larger Canadian cities and you really notice it if you've ever lived in any of them. 

Truly however this would be my ultimate retail candy if one of these babies ever opened up in Victoria: I lived in Kits near the outlet on West Broadway and frequented this joint a lot - 

https://www.thespystore.ca/

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 November 2018 - 07:28 PM.

#484 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

I used to go to Sears at Hillside for tools... and then their tool section disappeared. And then Sears disappeared. Coincidence?  

It'll be more than coincidence of you go missing next.

#485 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

How about a Sharper Image or another dealie/gadget place?

The Sharper Image went bankrupt in 2008 and closed all of its stores. It lives on through a website and catalog only now. Same thing for Brookstone which was their largest competitor.

Sorry but no gadgets for you!

I think that most urban mall owners focus more on the optics of their business then they do the economics. It is a revolving door these days with one chain retailer folding while another repositions and tries to reinvent itself under a new brand. As long as there are enough musical chairs then the public company owners can keep the wheels on the bus.

Edited by spanky123, 17 November 2018 - 08:49 AM.

#486 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

Regarding residential at malls, it's not a priority. The owners have no reason to push through a 10-to-13-storey towers today when in ten or 15 years they'll be able to push through 15-to-20-storey towers. Vancouver is usually 20 years ahead of Victoria out of necessity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#487 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

Aside from residential as I noted before the other major omission is the failure of most malls to appeal to men - entice a Harry Rosen or some other high end men's wear store to locate here and I would definitely check them out. Ditto for a high quality hardware & tool store (highly unlikely I know as "tools" and malls don't apparently go hand in hand but I can dream...).

Otherwise as others have noted most malls are just cookie cutter clones of each other; honestly how many American Eagle or Below the Belt outlets do we need?

Sounds like you should go to Millstream Village. Tommy Hilfiger, Golftown, Visions, Home Depot across the street, and I think there is a big and tall store

#488 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

Sounds like you should go to Millstream Village. Tommy Hilfiger, Golftown, Visions, Home Depot across the street, and I think there is a big and tall store

Not being a shopper at heart I go to malls only when necessity calls, i.e. Christmas shopping for example.

I've been to Millstream several times - the Big and Tall specifically - but only as an adjunct to shopping first at Costco < - which is really the only reason I/we venture anywhere near the West Shore or Bear Mountain.

We live in the Selkirk neighborhood so ideally when speaking of a "heightened mall experience" it would be @ Tillicum, Uptown or Mayfair from a convenience standpoint. Otherwise I could care less - other than perhaps Harry Rosen or Island Outfitters (and_maybe Bass Pro)  I can't think of a single retailer that would entice me to drive more than 2kms in any direction just to shop.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#489 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

There is Simply the Best on Broad Street downtown.

I would consider that a Men's store. They have some nice stuff in there.

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#490 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

I've been to Millstream several times - the Big and Tall specifically - but only as an adjunct to shopping first at Costco < - which is really the only reason I/we venture anywhere near the West Shore or Bear Mountain.

:thumbsup:

#491 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

The Sharper Image went bankrupt in 2008 and closed all of its stores. It lives on through a website and catalog only now. Same thing for Brookstone which was their largest competitor.

Sorry but no gadgets for you!

Brookstone...that was the name of the other place I couldn't remember. I think every guy went in the stores and tried things out but just never bought much. Too bad, they were always a great place to waste some time in a mall. Now I just go to the theater and watch a movie while she shops.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#492 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:21 PM

La Caisse de Depot et placement du Quebec, owner of Mayfair Mall via its Ivanhoe Cambridge subsidiary, is looking to sell a partial stake in the Mall per the Globe and Mail.  This is one of 10 malls in which the Quebec institutional investor is seeking a buyer for non-controlling partial stakes.

#493 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:06 AM

I like the new INDIGO store. It's huge!

#494 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

As much as I don't like to shop in malls, I have to admit the new Indigo is a very nice store.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#495 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

Personally I'm disappointed in Indigo as the focus seems to be less on books and more on 'gift items' and home decor.  Munro's seems to be a superior bookstore and I'm happy to shop there instead.

• Bingo and Cats4Hire like this

#496 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

Personally I'm disappointed in Indigo as the focus seems to be less on books and more on 'gift items' and home decor.  Munro's seems to be a superior bookstore and I'm happy to shop there instead.

I like that they sell both books and home decor/gift items. They even sell record players and records.

Makes the store more interesting.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 01 December 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#497 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

Google reviewers have settled on a clear consensus:

"Decent but the reno didn't really add much to this old relic."

"I was so surprised to see a high class shopping mall in Victoria."

"Small & cozy shopping center, few minutes walking distance from downtown."

"Just underwent a massive renovation, but only added two medium-sized businesses, lost a few and moved a few others. Completely underwhelming. What a waste of time."

"Love this mall. It's much bigger than it looks."

"A small shopping mall with a couple of anchor stores. Overall a mediocre spot to shop."

To me it feels like pretty much the same mall that it has been since 1990-something*, except it looks and feels a bit more generic and the energy has been diminished somewhat. Some air has been let out of the proverbial tires, if you get my meaning. I've been trying to put my finger on it but I'm figuring it has something to do with how the flow of people in and out and around has been changed by the Sport Chek & Indigo. The one entrance on the Douglas St. side (on the ground level under the overhang where the drop-off roundabout thingy is) almost feels like you aren't supposed to use it. It seems uninviting, and with your first couple of steps you hardly even know that you're entering a shopping mall. Is it just me or do most people getting off the buses enter the mall via the little door on the back of the Indigo?

Call me crazy but I feel like a glassy corridor & eating/drinking area running along Douglas would have been much more energizing than the drop-off roundabout. Methinks they had the right idea with the terracing along that side where people wait for the buses, but they should have gone "all in" with it.

The increase in parking is good but then again it's probably ~25 years overdue. Many people are wondering about the low ceilings & pipes in various places.

Anyway, I'd say Hillside's renovations have been more successful re: the "spaces and entrances" aspects. But as we all know, they're different malls.

*or maybe since early 2000s? My memory is hazy on this point.

Edited by aastra, 07 January 2019 - 06:33 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#498 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

Weakest part of the mall by far is the food court.  Just terrible

#499 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

compare it with the "Dining Terrace" at Richmond Centre 

http://foodology.ca/...dining-terrace/

#500 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

...except it looks and feels a bit more generic and the energy has been diminished somewhat. Some air has been let out of the proverbial tires, if you get my meaning...

Summary: Town & Country/Uptown and Hillside have sharpened their respective identities whereas Mayfair's identity is a bit vague now, in my opinion. They've watered it down when I was expecting them to dial it up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users