City of Victoria's final list of candidates document

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

Helpful comments. Thx.

I also found it surprising to see the nomination list climb from 9 candidates on Thurs to 35 by Friday deadline. And Saanich only has 10 running for 8 places. Oi vey.
Sue

#22 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

CCC

I seem to recall from the last election that Philippe Lucas, candidate for the Victoria Greens, advocated this type of selective strategic voting.

Can't recall if Sonya Chandler did it, though.

This tactic, if it is proven to give some candidates an advantage over others, seems patently undemocratic, in my humble estimation.

It might indeed be one of the myriad of reasons why voter turn-out is so lamentably low for municipal elections in this province. The law should be changed throughout the province after a non-partisan group studies the matter, if there is in fact a proven advantage for some in using the tactic.

As for all those here lamenting the long list of candidates, I cannot agree that it is a problem, as it seems to indicate that democracy in Victoria is still (dare I say it?) vibrant, at least in terms of candidate participation.

Why not spread the love around?

- G. P. M. Hartnell, Victoria City Council candidate for the CCC

CCC

#23 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

What is undemocratic about making sure your vote counts? If we could rank our votes - that would be one thing, but there is a reason our system doesn't force us to vote for 8 people. Personally, I look at this list - and I see five people I would want to guide my City. One of these four has massive amounts of money to throw at making sure that the election goes favorably. I'll vote for the other 4.

For those people who see 8 names on that list who they would like to see in charge, they have the choice to vote for each. Democracy isn't about forcing anyone to vote for someone they don't feel good about. Democracy is about choice.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#24 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hi Caramia, I agree - my only concern is that some people (incl me) never knew there was an option to how we vote. Thats the only part that concerns me.

CCC. As for all those here lamenting the long list of candidates, I cannot agree that it is a problem, as it seems to indicate that democracy in Victoria is still (dare I say it?) vibrant, at least in terms of candidate participation. - G. P. M. Hartnell, Victoria City Council candidate for the CCC

Hi Greg, I have no issue with the number of candidates running - just that anyone who participates shows respect for differing views/ other candidates/ the public. Debate (and public representation) requires being willing to meet halfway - and leave personal adjendas at the door. Thx Sue

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

I just renamed the title of this thread to make it stand out from VV's candidates list thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

Further thought: Other then making sure there is public information made available - I have no issue with plumping. Indeed I am actually relieved to learn that I do not have to fill out all boxes (to fulfil what I thought was my democratic obligation.) Thx, Sue

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

I see nothing wrong with "plumping". Otherwise, we might be forced to hold our nose and vote for candidates we disagree with or think are wholly unqualified. That sort of stuff is only supposed to happen in dictatorships.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

It seems I'm the only one (aside from VHF) who cares about this, but I just noticed that Saanich publishes the nomination papers of its candidates online – and you apparently need 10 people to sign for your candidacy, instead of just two in Victoria.

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hell you should need 100, keep the riff raff out and only the serious ones in.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#30 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

The Mayor's office on Friday afternoon would have been hilarious with 100 nominators per candidate.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#31 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

The Mayor's office on Friday afternoon would have been hilarious with 100 nominators per candidate.

Well, at least the nominators don't have to be there in person!

Increasing the number of signatories would mean more work for the serious candidates, but it would keep out many of the kooks and give legitimate newcomers a better chance of being heard.

Saanich bylaw No. 7164 says the following:

2. Nomination of Candidates – Required Number of Qualified Nominators
a) As authorized under Section 71(2) (a) of the Local Government Act, the Council sets the required minimum number of qualified nominators at 10.

3. Electronic Access to Nomination Documents and Disclosure Statements
a) As authorized under Section 73 (7) of the Local Government Act, the Council authorizes public access to nomination documents via the Saanich website from the time of filing until 30 days after the declaration of the election results.
b) As authorized under Section 93 (2) of the Local Government Act, the Council authorizes public access to the campaign financing disclosure statements, the signed declarations, and the supplementary reports via the Saanich website from the time of filing until seven years after general voting day for the election to which they relate.

If the Victoria all-candidates' forums become a Gong Show this year, those who get elected should push for a similar bylaw in our city.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

The candidates list document location has been updated to: http://www.victoria....lrd_081016c.pdf

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

The 'final list' took up the entire side of a page in the Times Colonist today.
It would have been a good way to get the candidates' names out there except I think most people skipped over it thinking it was another rezoning application notice.

#34 stdavid

stdavid
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Yes, plumping is the right thing to do if you can't come up with eight names to support. But that shouldn't be too big a problem, because I see 10 or 15 people on that list who are qualified, and would do a fine job.

My issue is that there are another 10 or so whom I wouldn't hire to serve coffee, let alone serve on council. They have run for office before, and disrupted meetings and verbally abused fellow citizens. They are only going to further diminish the importance of municipal affairs in the eyes of the general public.

The BC Local Government Act says the following

Section 71 (1) A nomination for office as a member of a local government must be made in accordance with section 72, separately for each candidate,

(a) by at least 2 qualified nominators of the jurisdiction for which the person is nominated, or

(b) if a bylaw under subsection (2) applies, by at least the minimum number of such persons as set by the bylaw.

(2) A local government may, by bylaw,

(a) in relation to any jurisdiction, set the minimum number of qualified nominators at 10, or

(b) in relation to a jurisdiction with a population of 5 000 or more, set the minimum number of qualified nominators at 25.

We'll see how the all-candidates meetings go. But if I'm proven right, the new council should follow Section 71(2)(b) and increase the minimum number of nominators for future elections to 25.

It's sadly also why there is such a low voter turnout. There are so many people running that even if you do try to take part and attend the meetings it is a gong show with very littltime for informed discussion on important local issues.
Anyone with some kind of axe to grind gets their 2 minutes of fame. It is going to be very difficult ofr Victoria and region to solve some of its very serious issues if this system remains as it is IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users