Photo

Broad Street - Street Name Plaque Clues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:45 PM

Does anyone know anything about the clues embedded in the Broad Street Revitalisation in 2000? The 24 street name plaques in the sidewalk contain morse code (some of the translations are below) and I was curious if anyone had heard about this or perhaps solved the mystery. I have a friend who is quite captivated by the task now that he's stumbled upon it (perhaps you have to be in the navy to notice the ticks are morse code).

Of Age Its

Bones Below

In My Honour

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:50 PM

I wasn't aware of that...

...but now I'm truly intrigued. When/if you find out more of the meanings behind the codes could you post them here?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

maybe it's the code for the street name itself.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

He just wrote the meanings of three of the codes above...they're not the street names.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

Here's a thought. Perhaps Victoria's resident riddle buster, Ross Crockford, might have some more info on this? http://unknownvictoria.blogspot.com/

Know it all.

#6 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps Victoria's resident riddle buster, Ross Crockford, might have some more info on this? http://unknownvictoria.blogspot.com/

I checked his blog but its rather bare and silent on this topic. I have not looked in his book so I'll have to do that when I'm in Bolen's or Munro's.

He just wrote the meanings of three of the codes above...they're not the street names.

I have all the morse code translated but I didn't post them all because I didn't want to spoil anyone's fun. Apparently the order makes a difference so I need to do some messing about to get them to make some sense. It looks like a poem.

I did find a presentation given by a city employee a couple of years ago about the revitalisation project and it seems to imply that the clues are not just in the street name plaques but also in the castings. Oddly, it also makes reference to something called "future fragments" but I have no idea what that might be. So, there may be more clues to be found on the street to solve the puzzle. I will have to go back and check the castings now that I know.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

It is indeed Morse Code I beleive that it is regarding a poem that was supposed to be on the street but that people thought was too risque for our Victorian nature so they hid it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

I've always thought it was a code created so that blind people can read the street names with their white canes.

You'll see other things around town that were created to help blind people. At some busy busstops, you'll notice there is a patch of sidewalk that is deliberatly bumpy (usually with circles that rise up from the cement). These are so blind people know exactly where the stop is.

You'll see the same thing on the sidewalk directly in front of the entrance to CNIB on Richmond street.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:57 PM

I think the grooving at the lip of steps is for blind folks too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

Wow guys. Reminds me of unravelling the Da Vinci code or something. I am interested to hear your findings. Very cool... even if your are just a bunch of medling kids.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

Broad Street Blues poems by Michael Kenyon

As a cab driver in Victoria for more than twenty years I’ve driven Broad Street thousands of times. Early in the spring of 1999 I was invited by the project architect to join the Broad Street Revitalization arts core team. My role, as a writer and poet, was to research the history of the street and suggest ways of generating text that, integrated with paving design and sculptural pieces, would map out a three-block long installation. I responded to the archival material by walking the street, and, while the visual artists were sketching, came up with Broad Street Blues. – Michael Kenyon

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users