80% of water pipes in Victoria are ~100yrs old

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

^ How long without wine? o_O

...No wait, ps & edit, that makes me look soooo irresponsible...

Bingo's point is totally valid. If we have the kind of earthquake the city is fear-mongering about, the Johnson Street Bridge will be the least of our worries.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

^ How long without wine? o_O

...No wait, ps & edit, that makes me look soooo irresponsible...

Bingo's point is totally valid. If we have the kind of earthquake the city is fear-mongering about, the Johnson Street Bridge will be the least of our worries.

Exactly, the ensuing tsunami could wreck the Undersea Gardens. Where's our priorities?

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

Pandora was closed today due to a water main rupture apparantly. It was right in front of my place but I was at work. Insituform has been working around here for the last month retrofitting the pipes.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Diamond ring found in pipe by City of Victoria worker

August 16, 2011
The City of Victoria is looking for the owner of a diamond ring that was discovered in a pipe by a city worker.

more;http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

August 16, 2011
The City of Victoria is looking for the owner of a diamond ring that was discovered in a pipe by a city worker.

more;http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

I was wondering where my three year old put that ring!

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

No Financial Help coming from CRD for Home Owners Devastated by Burst Water Line

CHEK video:

http://www.cheknews....rst-water-line/

I wonder if the CRD will even cover insurance deductibles to get the affected homeowners back on their feet.  Or Saanich... apparently they don't even know who owns the broken pipe yet...

When you have no accountability to the people impacted by your neglect, there's no incentive to dig up and replace some of these ancient artifacts we call water mains.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#27 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

A CRD official says they've determined the cap on a fitting used on a section of cast iron pipe is what failed underneath Burnside road on Saturday morning.

The water-main break sprayed millions of litres of water into the surrounding area. Twelve properties were affected, with four homes suffering significant damage.

"The repair pieces that we put in the ground should last for at least a hundred years. We replaced the section with ductile iron pipe and all the joints were fully restrained, so there's absolutely no risk of this section failing."

CRD general manager of Integrated Water services Ted Robbins says the CRD is now looking at "aggressive infrastructure replacement programs" to replace existing cast iron piping, but he couldn't estimate how much cast iron piping is still in use.

http://www.cfax1070....r-Saanich-water

#28 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

I wonder if the CRD will even cover insurance deductibles to get the affected homeowners back on their feet.  Or Saanich... apparently they don't even know who owns the broken pipe yet...

When you have no accountability to the people impacted by your neglect, there's no incentive to dig up and replace some of these ancient artifacts we call water mains.

Could the homeowners not sue? Seems like a pretty clear case of negligence. If I let my pipes rot for decades and failed to properly inspect them and my neighbour gets flooded when the pipes burst I would expect to be held responsible.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

The city may be acting as though this was an "act of God" and they are therefore not responsible because the circumstance was unforeseen and unavoidable.

If the pipes and fittings had a 100 year expected life, but were 100+ years old, the city could have acted negligently. The city would argue that they monitor the system regularly and there was nothing to indicate a failure was imminent.

In any case, this would be a terrible circumstance to deal with.

#30 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Impossible

Every single street would need to be dug up and the complete pipes would need to be exposed to check for deficiencies excavation would be anywhere from 1 metre to 6 metres deep

It may be possible in communities with above ground utilidors but any community not located on permafrost....forget the thought

That would be like stripping apart A 747 aircraft to look for a cracked piece of plastic insulation on a wire to prevent shorting out or a fire ....not gonna happen

#31 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Its not the city who owns the pipe its the CRD

#32 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

The city may be acting as though this was an "act of God" and they are therefore not responsible because the circumstance was unforeseen and unavoidable.

If the pipes and fittings had a 100 year expected life, but were 100+ years old, the city could have acted negligently. The city would argue that they monitor the system regularly and there was nothing to indicate a failure was imminent.

In any case, this would be a terrible circumstance to deal with.

Not the City, the CRD, as they own the pipe. Unclear to me if it was a junction with the District of Saanich pipe however.

#33 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

Remember the Greater Victoria Water district which was owned and operated by the 4 core was strong-armed away from them by the CRD

#34 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

It doesnt matter if it was a junction CRD is owner

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

In 2007 this 39 inch gate valve was replaced near the View Royal/Saanich boundary on West Burnside Road. The 1913 valve was removed when the new 42 inch pipe was installed on the #1 water main serving the CRD.

There used to be a large concrete housing over the valve near the side of the road not far from the recent flooding.

old1913gatevalve39inchpipecopy.jpg

• todd likes this

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

Looks like the JSB, blue and rusty.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Looks like the JSB, blue and rusty.

No bad considering that it was older that the bridge.

#38 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:18 AM

Water Main Replacement on Government Street Starts Monday
October 23, 2015

Starting Monday, City of Victoria crews will begin construction to replace a water main on Government Street from Chatham to Pembroke Streets. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of December, with final paving taking place next spring.

The work will consist of the water main replacement, service connection upgrades, boulevard and concrete restoration as needed, and asphalt paving.

The City will strive to minimize inconveniences during construction, however, lane closures and some parking restrictions will be required. Drivers and cyclists should expect some delays. Local access will be maintained for businesses, and signs will be posted.

In 2015, the City of Victoria is investing $3.2 million in upgrading the water systems in Esquimalt and Victoria, some of which are nearly 100 years old. This significant investment helps ensure high water quality, improved seismic capability and supply pressure throughout the system.

http://www.victoria....rts-monday.html

#39 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

it sounds like these pipes are just the sort of thing trudeau wants to fix in the coming infrastructure program
  • todd likes this

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

August 16, 2011

And now they are trying to track down the owner of an eight foot long snake that has likely been down in those old unused pipes for years.

It's about time to dig up all those old pipes and replace them, but I would wait until they start digging a ditch for the sludge line to Hartland dump, to save on costs.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users