Tavis Dodds | Victoria | Council

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Please discuss Davis Dodds' candidacy in this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

This is the guy whose name appears on signs stolen from the federal campaign, turned back to front and spraypainted with his name on it.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

Oh, right. I've seen those around town. There is (or was, unless it's been taken down) a huge sign on the embankment to the north of the train trestle near the Johnson Street bridge.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Someone left an old bed headboard out on the boulevard in front of my house, and Tavis (with a T) used it to write his own election sign on. Now i have to look at an old headboard/hand written sign out of my window. Lame.

#5 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

He normally uses Federal Conservative Candidate McClintock's signs - his way of making a point.

seen them on the boulevard section on Blanshard, and at the homeless camp.

This is Mr. Dodds

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

His name is Tavis. I've met him at the last few ACMs. Nice guy.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

Here is his facebook group

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

He wasn't at the JB ACM as he was being arrested at the Centennial Square camp along with Mayoral candidate Woodruff and Council candidate Le Drew.

Could you please correct the thread title--it's Tavis.

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

Done :)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

Tavis was the first person to contact me when my name was published as a candidate in early Sept - by email - to wish me well. That was appreciated.

I just wish he would consider taking off the clown nose and not use jail as his campaign office. He seems a really bright and well-spoken person who wants to participate. Its just that sometimes a message can get lost in the 'delivery'.

#11 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

I think Tavis is a really bright and well spoken man - but his message is getting lost in his delivery. If he took off the clown nose and didn't use jail as a campaign office, he may find people are more open to listening to his ideas abouit cleaning up the drug trade and solving homelessness. Just a thought. Sue

Have to agree - talking to him he is eloquent, media savvy, and well versed on all sorts of issues. There is a streak of exhibitionism that detracts from his overall campaign.

What we all must remember is that city councillors and the mayor act as ambassadors: on regional boards, in conferences, and welcoming delegations from other countries. The Mayor, especially, represents the City of Victoria on international trips, and in Provincial/Federal meetings and negotiations. Policy is key - that is why we make choices, it will be the candidates who advance the policies in a measured, coherent tone - may I say 'adult' - who should be considered.

#12 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Its just that sometimes a message can get lost in the 'delivery'.

The medium is the message. ;)

While his presentation may create some frustration it is also seems to be an effective statement that he wants to make, and will rarely get the chance to express verbally.

#13 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Tavis Dodds carried out the most blatantly indecent campaign I've ever seen prior to a municipal election. I had no problem with him spray-painting the backs of federal campaign signs that would probably have been thrown out... but last night in Vic West I saw a Richard Park (I think it was Park) sign turned around, covering a Hollohan sign with a giant "VOTE DODDS - WORK LESS PARTY" painted on it. I was absolutely disgusted by this cheap and immoral tactic. Is there not some sort of law against election sign vandalism?

#14 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

carried out the most blatantly indecent campaign I've ever seen prior to a municipal election. I had no problem with him spray-painting the backs of federal campaign signs that would probably have been thrown out... but last night in Vic West I saw a Richard Park (I think it was Park) sign turned around, covering a Hollohan sign with a giant "VOTE DODDS - WORK LESS PARTY" painted on it. I was absolutely disgusted by this cheap and immoral tactic. Is there not some sort of law against election sign vandalism?

--- you mean the same kind of thing that got the signs off harris-green cook-st side walks

ted... ( not sure what thread , I read , that under )

today , we get to vote for any bozo we want to ...!

It's sad though, no budy is supposed to be campaigning today ... yet the signs are still out there . And they will probably be there all next week . ( just like the homeless people ) not going away in the near future ...

;{-

#15 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

As a friend of Tavis, I happen to know that someone else, kids with a spraycan or something, have been tagging a few signs here and there. Which is only surprising given that most graffiti is rather apolitical. But as a homeless candidate, Dodds has a bit of a following.
"Tavis Dodds carried out the most blatantly indecent campaign I've ever seen prior to a municipal election." seems a bit over the top to me.
I think he gave some of the most astute speechs of the entire campaign, and was 1/100th as disruptive as Georia-anne.
I think he just pushed a few people's buttons being too close to the truth about the mess this system is...

#16 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

I'm sorry, I don't actually have anything against Dodds himself and as people before have mentioned, he is very well spoken.

Seeing the disruption of other candidates' signs (and having them hid behind Dodds' sign) just really frustrated me. If it wasn't Dodds doing this himself then it's too bad these people have associated with him as they'll give him a bad rep.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

I couldn't afford many signs this election. I managed to pay for 24. Most of them were immediately vandalized by Dodds and his spray can.

Thanks, Tavis. Real classy.

I did nothing to you to deserve this. All through the campaign I treated you with respect while others called you an idiot.

You say they can be fixed. But I doubt I'll ever see you helping me scrub the paint off with solvent.

Vandalizing the promotional materials of a political opponent is a dirty tactic. It is not a fun prank. I would certainly not expect this from a person calling for respect and democracy.

If there's a lesson I've learned, it's not to be so trusting and naive. This was not about a few pieces of plastic as Tavis half-heartedly tried to explain as a means of apology. This is about respect for fellow human beings fighting together for a greater cause.

#18 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Rob, is there no way for you to take action against Dodds?

As Chris J pointed out, I guess you can't prove Dodds himself was doing the spray-painting but it seems like a criminal offense none the less.

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Dodds confessed to me a few days ago that he vandalised my signs as well as those of the other candidates. He says he got a little carried away but he managed to get virtually all my signs from the Cook St. Village all the way up to Finlayson/Quadra and Blanshard/Hillside (where my sign was turned around so the "DODDS" side faced traffic. He was very determined and put a lot of effort into doing this.

I suppose Wayne, Sonya and the rest of us could take him to small claims court but I'm sure he would use it as an excuse to protest against the rich fascist establishment (us) stifling the freedom of expression of a disadvantaged revolutionary (Dodds).

#20 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

Rob, is there no way for you to take action against Dodds? As Chris J pointed out, I guess you can't prove Dodds himself was doing the spray-painting but it seems like a criminal offense none the less.

I think a case can be made to ensure he is prohibited from running in upcoming civic races. It is an election crime to interfere and I have an email from Tavis written the day before the election (which I'm sure everyone else received) saying at the bottom of his note - "thanks for the signs!" It was his own email address and signed by him.

When I was out driving that afternoon I saw that Rob Reid's and Barry Hobbis's signs were also defaced, along with Rob Randall's, with Dodds written across front and back in heavy black marker.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users