Interior Photos of Well Known Buildings

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:42 PM

So you see the face too!!! Scary!!!

I have a photo of some buildings downtown in one of the photos in the new coast capital building is a face of some demonic looking thing...you can only see it when it's fully blown up but in small you cant see it.

#22 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:45 PM

Actually now that I have blown up this photo even more you can make out a complete figure at the top of the stairs!!!

So crazy!

#23 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

creepy there is a face at the top of the staircase in that one photo!!!

Also the inside of the Old English inn is really cool.

that place too is haunted.

Didn't it all change with the renovation, and isn't it the English inn now?

#24 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

Zoomer put back the last photo, the quality of workmanship in that room was amazing and inspiring, but you deleted the photo.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:04 PM

These photos were taken this afternoon. It is not a particularly well-known house. It's on May street just off Cook street in Fairfield a few doors down from Beacon Hill Park. It's from the 1920s or so and is in the arts and crafts style.

But there is something unique about the decorating and furnishing--something not quite "right". Something you will never guess. Not everything is as it might appear.

I will give the answer later tonight. If you have any guesses why this slightly shabby interior caught my attention, please guess!

First, the living room. Everything is temporarily in a state of disarray:

Aly's bedroom--not quite finished:

View looking into the kitchen from the dining room. Look at those dirty walls!:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

I don't have a guess, but could you post a pic of the exterior once you give the answer?

#27 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:27 PM

These photos were taken this afternoon. It is not a particularly well-known house. It's on May street just off Cook street in Fairfield a few doors down from Beacon Hill Park. It's from the 1920s or so and is in the arts and crafts style.

But there is something unique about the decorating and furnishing--something not quite "right". Something you will never guess. Not everything is as it might appear.

I will give the answer later tonight. If you have any guesses why this slightly shabby interior caught my attention, please guess!

First, the living room. Everything is temporarily in a state of disarray:

Aly's bedroom--not quite finished:

View looking into the kitchen from the dining room. Look at those dirty walls!:

I can answer this puzzle because I was involved in the creation of it! Thanks to Holden for taking the photos.

What you are looking at is a movie set for a made for TV movie. I was asked to help out with the painting.

All the items in the rooms down to the magazines, remotes and the spatulas were bought for the purposes of filming. The off-white insets in the paneling are actually painted adhesive-backed paper that covers the wood. It is also covering the fancy wallpaper above the plate rail in the dining room.

It was fun to transform a very elegant house into a rather tacky, run down one. You can see how I used tinted wax to age the walls around the light switch in order to give it a more lived in look. I had fun kicking the walls to give them some authentic scuff marks too. The expensive Arts & Crafts light fixtures were replaced by cheap 1950s ones.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#28 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

It was fun to transform a very elegant house into a rather tacky, run down one

Why didn't they just go find an already tacky, run down house?

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:02 AM

So can someone please post a pic of the house? Please?

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

Here it is:

I would hesitate to call it authentic Arts & Crafts, although it has some similarities. You won't see the outside of this house in the movie because the exterior shots are being done by a house somewhere in Saanich.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

Cool! Thanks Holden.

#32 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

Eek! The ghost of Pam Madoff!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#33 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

I don't know the exact location of this building, but I believe it's located in Chinatown, or nearby.

Check out the incredible interior, I love this place, incredible furniture, warm and cozy...and the home of a mathematician!! Check out the chalk board wall!

also in this set is a stop at Big Bad John's, interior shot below:

http://www.flickr.co... ... 411998957/

#34 viewership

viewership
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

The interior of that apartment looks like it could belong to this building on Harold.

#35 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

ah, good call viewership, I think you're bang on. The windows are the same.

Oh..just back from doing a further dig into that flickr account, and there is a picture of the same building, although not in sequence with the interior shots, but still that should confirm, that yes, this is the exterior!

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:07 PM

Fantastic building and great shots. That's LeFevre's building that was heavily damaged in a fire a couple of years ago.

Hipster mathmeticians. I bet the chicks dig that!

:smt057

#37 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

Elevator in the Central Building on View. Not much of a picture, but I love the old school elevator aesthetic.

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:44 PM

My circle of friends had a gallery called Buzzards Lunch in that building pre-reno. Wonderful place. The refridgeration rooms housed everything from tatoo studio, to metalworking shop, to theatre space. The old pipes were still (little known to us) filled with coolant at the time. Now they form part of the exterior decor.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#39 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

I remember the meat lockers in behind that building on the other street. My friends band used one as a jam-space. Then when he had no place to live he lived in the meat locker for a couple of months!

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,164 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

I had never seen this before--it's the library rotunda at the rear of the Legislature. Well worth a visit.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users