Photo

Party Politics - Candidate Slates - Independents

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Susan Woods posted this article from Monday Magazine which included this quote from Wayne Hollohan.

“And it’s difficult to compete when you have a Green Party and a backdoor NDP party supporting campaigns, financially and by other means.”

Backdoor NDP reads like an unofficial provincial or federal party campaign/support for one or more candidates - to whom is he referencing?

Are there candidate slates; who is confirming themselves as completely Independent/no slate or party affiliation.

#2 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I believe Wayne is referring to the VCE, which is dead but not dead.

Relatedly, I have heard from many people that party affliations are far more prevalent that people think, they are just hidden.

#3 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

I think most voters will realize candidates do not come out without some political references - whether is it who they voted for in the past (Federally, Provincially and locally), endorsements and funding.

Globe and Mail had this today: basically one line profiles of each City of Victoria Council candidates.

COUNCIL CANDIDATES

Robert Allington wrote a book about the constitutional implications of Premier Gordon Campbell's drunk-driving conviction.

Nick Baker is a fitness buff who owns a personal training studio.

Joseph Boutilier is a teenager and the youngest candidate for council.

Suzanne Carroll lives on Saltspring Island.

Sonya Chandler, a Green incumbent, is a nurse who works at a clinic for street youth.

Chris Coleman, another incumbent, is the Saskatchewan-born son of an Anglican bishop and a part-owner of the Milestone's Grill overlooking the Inner Harbour.

Tavis Dodds is homeless.

John Farquharson describes himself as a New Independent in the mould of Tony Blair and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Chris Gillespie is a political-science student at Camosun College.

Gregory Hartnell writes an election blog under the nom de plume Goyo de la Rosa.

Rose Henry is an indigenous woman making her third run for council "as a voice for the people."

Barry Hobbis is a former Mountie who is now managing director of Victoria Harbour Ferry.

Wayne Hollohan is a former Newfoundlander who jokingly counts three cats among his support group.

Lynn Hunter is a former NDP member of Parliament.

Patrick Jamieson wrote a history of the Catholic Church on Vancouver Island.

Allen Jones calls himself a street priest.

Jonathan Le Drew got 60 votes when he ran for mayor six years ago.

Philippe Lucas is an organic gardener and former cook who heads the Vancouver Island Compassion Society.

Jane Lunt is a former city councillor.

John Luton rides a bicycle and is endorsed by former premier Dave Barrett.

Pam Madoff is an incumbent running on a slate with Mr. Fortin and Ms. Hunter.

Chris Munkacsi is opposed to downtown becoming a concrete jungle.

Simon Nattrass thinks online voting might be the way to go.

Denis Oliver goes to lots of council meetings.

Richard Park is a trilingual university student with a black belt in an unspecified martial art.

Robert Randall is an artist who heads an association of downtown residents.

David Shebib describes himself as a "peaceful revolutionary" who once got 20 votes running for Parliament against prime minister John Turner.

Diana Smardon is active in the community but her blog has had only 15 profile views.

Charlayne Thornton-Joe is an incumbent who resisted calls to run for mayor.

John C. Turner is running for a council seat under the unique slogan: "Victoria's next mayor."

Jon Valentine lives on the same block as Mr. Farquharson.

Tim Van Alstine finished in 19th place when he ran for council nine years ago.

Pieta VanDyke seeks to return to council after an 18-year hiatus.

Susan Woods hosts a radio show and publishes the Moss Rock Review, a neighbourhood magazine.

Geoff Young is an incumbent councillor who will get some extra votes because his name is the last one on the ballot.

#4 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

I had a good laugh at that article today. I got off easy as the 'youngest candidate', while some less-fortunate folks received much more random summaries ('black belt in an unspecified martial art'...still struggling to see what election relevance this might hold).

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

I like Wayne's blurb best.

Wayne Hollohan is a former Newfoundlander who jokingly counts three cats among his support group.

If I was voting solely off that list I'd probably be volunteering on his campaign. I like cats.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

You want loyal voters, choose dogs. Cats are about as loyal as single cell organisms.

#7 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

You want loyal voters, choose dogs. Cats are about as loyal as single cell organisms.

I don't know about that - the amoeba that inhabit my lower intestine have been around for decades :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users