Photo

Oak Bay Community Association

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

I was researching candidate platforms for the upcoming civic election and I stumbled upon references to a shadowy group calling themselves the 'Oak Bay Community Association'. Note the highlighted comments in the transcript of the Oak Bay Committee of the Whole minutes from 15 October 2007.

The discussion relates to a Proposed Zoning Bylaw Amendments – 677 St. Patrick Street (de’lish café) and 2164 McNeill Avenue (Demitasse Café) but that isn't germane.

Paul Holmes, 2186 McNeill Avenue, commented that a group of residents that originally formed a group called the McNeill/Roslyn Community Association, has expanded to encompass residents concerned about the proposed Hampshire Road municipal parking lot, the proposed expansion at the Royal Victoria Yacht Club, as well as the proposed rezoning for de’lish and Demitasse properties, and the group is now called the Oak Bay Community Association.

Judith Andersen, 1265 Roslyn Road, expressed that she did not want it to appear that all the neighbours are included in the Oak Bay Community Association referred to earlier and that she supports the proposed additional seating for both properties.

Kathryn Pineo, 2164 McNeill Avenue, co-owner, Demitasse Bakery Store, commented that they were not invited to participate in the newly formed Oak Bay Community Association.

Claudia Mimick, 1019 Roslyn Road, wanted to clarify that past and future Oak Bay Community Association meetings are not for the public to attend. Ms. Mimick said she sees garbage from her front porch.

One candidate, Michelle Kirby, is even saying she wants to draw closer to this elite group if elected.

Support for an Oak Bay Community Association to help involve residents in local decision making, as well as encourage neighbour-to-neighbour connections

Does anyone know how a resident of Oak Bay gets invited to join this group?

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

You have to murder a developer in front of them and then they'll jump you in.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

You have to murder a developer in front of them and then they'll jump you in.

So a bit like the movie Hot Fuzz then?

#4 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Afaik, this group is just getting off the ground. Expect more after the election.

#5 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Afaik, this group is just getting off the ground.

But the meeting minutes I cited above are more than a year old so the star chamber appears to have been in existence for sometime.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

I've never heard of this group. One might presume from their name that they presume to speak for all of OB. They don't AFAIK.

#7 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

I think I'm going to start my own little club.

"Victoria Area Greater Regional Association of Neighborhoods, Townships and Societies"

(we can just call it VAGRANTS for short).

I will charter that:
- our club be the final say governing all of the lessor NA's, and have a permanent voice in all city councils.
- We will decide who builds what, where and when.
- Homelessness and drug abuse will no longer be a problem because we will decree that problem solved.
- Within 5 years, we will effectively run the entire south island, determining what bussiness can operate, the hours they operate, and what they can sell.

Who's with me...it'll be awesome!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users