Cactus Club | Victoria | Douglas at Fort

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

Is there really no Cactus Club thread yet? I did a search for "cactus" & didn't find one... Well here it is I guess. I know it isn't new anymore (opened in 2005?) but it has taken me a while to finally check it out. I got the beef dip, which was one of Rob Feenie's creations & was totally awesome. I guess it should be since it wasn't cheap. They seem to do diner/greasy-spoon food better than actual diners/greasy-spoons. :P Makes me wonder what the rest of the menu is like... :cool:

#2 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

I've had the worse service imaginable there, so bad that the manager came over, apologized for her staff and comped our meal, which was a kind gesture. I've heard similar stories from friends that have gone as well. I probably won't step foot in this location again. While I agree the food and atmosphere is decent, it was very disappointing as far as wait staff goes.

I do however like the Nanaimo one.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I've always found the service impeccable.

#4 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

I do however like the Nanaimo one.

Good call on the Nanaimo CC - I think it is on of the best places to eat in the city. For a such large town, good dining choices are quite slim.

#5 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

Something must have gone very wrong at the CC to garner bad service. Staff go through such a rigid training period before being allowed to serve. Good thing they comped your meal, but that doesn't help if you never go back.
As some of you might know, Iron chef Rob Feenie - known officially at the CC as the food concept architect - will be launching his food concepts at the Victoria CC next week. I will report back. Maybe the dishes will entice you to return.

#6 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

I go just to stare at the waitressess. HOT!!!!

(somebody had to say it, and..well...I'm that guy)

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

I've been to Cactus Club a few times and always had good food and good service. I particularly liked the washroom.

#8 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

I've been several times, and the service & food have been consistently good.
It was even a pretty good bargain until a few months ago - I think their food prices went up and are now more in line with comparable spots downtown.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

Had the Jambalaya on Tuesday. Good times.

Service there has never been a problem and I find myself there for lunch or dinner with regularity. The incident vandervalk describes was most definitely a stray from the norm.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Well if so many here are saying they've had great service, I'm willing to give it another shot. I was disappointed because I do love the Nanaimo one so much that I was hoping to have that same feeling and vibe here. Besides, I have a thing for the ugly ale too. :)

#11 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Been there tons of times, always good service. Great drinks, food is generally pretty good. I really liked the salmon with fingerling potatoes, but sadly they cut the kung pao, steak fajitas, and cheese toast off their newer 'up scale' type menu!

#12 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

Superb new menu items from food concept architect Rob Feenie. For meat lovers, they are doing a braised short rib sandwich, served with emmenthal cheese and caramelizied onions, juicy and full of flavor. Sure to be a hit.
There is also a bbq duck sandwich paired with roasted chicken and prosciutto served on fruit bread - I've never like fruit bread - but the ingredients were tender and the prosciutto provided a salty hit.
Replacing their poke tuna is albacore tuna tataki served with a salad of green papaya, mint and thai basil, with oranges, avocado and yuzu dressing. An exquisite plate filled with bright flavours and texture contrasts.
Roasted sablefish (Oceanwise) sees a delicate treatment with sake-soy marinade, and an equally delicate dashi broth.
We wont' see the butternut squash ravioli until January, but with a truffle beurre blanc, fried sage, pine nuts and amaretti cookie crumbs, it will be worth the wait.
Rocket salad(aka arugula) holds a panko-parmesan breaded chicken(too salty for my tastes) with tomatoes and cucumber provided needed acid and crunch. The lemon-caper dressing is superb.
Dessert fans may want to check out the chocolate peanut butter crunch bar, served with sour cream ice cream and caramel sauce. An evil thing.
They are also bringing more wines by the glass and more dishes to follow as they create them. As usual the prices are value driven. I'm in.

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

For meat lovers, they are doing a braised short rib sandwich, served with emmenthal cheese and caramelizied onions, juicy and full of flavor. Sure to be a hit

that's what I had, & it was definitely a hit :D

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Cactus Club Hires First Ever Average Looking Waitress

Troy Bolland, a 25 year-old male who goes to the Cactus Club at least twice a week, is one of those people with mixed feelings.

“It’s good because now when I order a pint of Rickards Red, I won’t get a glass of chicken wings,” said Bolland. “But it’s bad because those waitresses are the closest I’ll ever get to having a beautiful girlfriend.”

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

Is.. is that article satire of some sort? I know the cactus club has a reputation for being marketed towards shallow douchbags, but seriously?? The whole article reads like some onion article or social satire. Considering letting some of the kitchen staff to be seen??? This can't be real.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

^ Awesome

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

that's got to be a satire because the servers @ Cactus Club are the same as servers anywhere else. I guessed I'll get barred for saying that now. :P

#18 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

:D
http://www.timescolo...4848/story.html

Thankfully, The Powder Room — a national program for people with an overactive bladder — has taken it upon itself to rate, and map out the best and worst public washrooms in the country so you'll know exactly which ones deserve a tush in the seat, and which ones to avoid like the plague.

An interactive map, complete with pink dots representing each rated restroom across the nation, encourages Canadians to add their own stories of sparkling enamel and scrunched up noses. It includes a notation of the Cactus Club Cafe which was tops in B.C.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

washroom is named the best in BC again:
http://www.vancouver...4614/story.html

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

:D
http://www.timescolo...4848/story.html

Thankfully, The Powder Room — a national program for people with an overactive bladder — has taken it upon itself to rate, and map out the best and worst public washrooms in the country so you'll know exactly which ones deserve a tush in the seat, and which ones to avoid like the plague.

An interactive map, complete with pink dots representing each rated restroom across the nation, encourages Canadians to add their own stories of sparkling enamel and scrunched up noses. It includes a notation of the Cactus Club Cafe which was tops in B.C.

They may have a nice bathroom, but they should be disqualified now that one urinal has been out of service for over a month now. Covered in poly, taped off and a large tree placed in front of it. It's right beside the other one, what possible plumbing problem can't be overcome?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users