Photo

Cactus Club | Victoria | Douglas at Fort

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

When I went the waitress raved about the washroom so I went to see it. OK - so there is a small fireplace 5 feet up on the wall and a back lit photograph of a farm or something, and matte glass doors on the stalls. I was underwhelmed. Especially by comparison with the washroom at the north end of the Canoe Club, which has an "interactive" sink between the
men's and women's washrooms. And even without the interactive part (you can reach over and shake hands with the other gender) having the water come down as a waterfall across the whole length of the sink is just brilliant! Why does it never get mentioned in the "best washrooms" lists? or are we just keeping it as our own secret?

(now I'll admit that its been a couple of years since I used that washroom - I hope it is still like that!)
Pieta VanDyke

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

When I went the waitress raved about the washroom so I went to see it. OK - so there is a small fireplace 5 feet up on the wall and a back lit photograph of a farm or something, and matte glass doors on the stalls. I was underwhelmed. Especially by comparison with the washroom at the north end of the Canoe Club, which has an "interactive" sink between the
men's and women's washrooms. And even without the interactive part (you can reach over and shake hands with the other gender) having the water come down as a waterfall across the whole length of the sink is just brilliant! Why does it never get mentioned in the "best washrooms" lists? or are we just keeping it as our own secret?

(now I'll admit that its been a couple of years since I used that washroom - I hope it is still like that!)

I think it still is. That made me smile, we used to go there a lot. It also (still does?) had showers for boaters, so you might walk in to take a leak and some guy might be naked in the shower stall. On busy nights, the shower stall became an addl. urinal, that's why I think it's gone now, but I'm sure the shared sink still exists...

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

That sink creeps me out. Some woman snatched my hand as I was washing once.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

Did you get your hand back???
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

You guys should have seen the expression on my face when I saw the restroom of a fancy sushi place in Chicago. The walls were all glass the boys could look in on the girls and vice versa. ...but every patron had a stall that you walked into. And there were no urinals for the men.

Now here's where things got stranger. A young women would guide you to your stall, open the door and let you in. She'd wait, and when you walked out, she would run the tap, hand you the soap then dry your hands when you finished. Then she'd wait for you to pay her $1.

Now that's a restroom.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

You guys should have seen the expression on my face when I saw the restroom of a fancy sushi place in Chicago. The walls were all glass the boys could look in on the girls and vice versa. ...but every patron had a stall that you walked into. And there were no urinals for the men.

Now here's where things got stranger. A young women would guide you to your stall, open the door and let you in. She'd wait, and when you walked out, she would run the tap, hand you the soap then dry your hands when you finished. Then she'd wait for you to pay her $1.

Now that's a restroom.

Ya lots of places like that in the US those attendants can make good coin in busy places...

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

I've been able to wash my own hands since I was very young. That would creep me out. Deeply.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#28 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

I don't think the Canoe Club washroom is like that anymore.

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

It still has the shared sink thing, but the bathroom, the men's at least, has deteriorated quite a bit and needs a reno.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#30 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Naaahhh, they changed the sink - they've got two timed faucets at either end of the mens side. I kinda liked the old design, although it was a little weird at times seeing hands.. MAybe I should start a petition?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

Who will be the first to install the Dyson hand-dryer?

Someone said they had it on new ferries. It's about $800 more than a conventional hot-air dryer, but uses way less power.

http://www.dysonairblade.com/

Switching from paper can almost pay for itself in one year (save electricity, save paper) in a high-volume place plus you don't get paper towels on the floor.

#32 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Who will be the first to install the Dyson hand-dryer?

Someone said they had it on new ferries. It's about $800 more than a conventional hot-air dryer, but uses way less power.

http://www.dysonairblade.com/

Switching from paper can almost pay for itself in one year (save electricity, save paper) in a high-volume place plus you don't get paper towels on the floor.

That is awesome.

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

The Dyson Air Blade is one the greatest inventions of the 21st century!

#34 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

hand-dryer?

Someone said they had it on new ferries. .

They have it in the washrooms in the terminal at Nanaimo.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#35 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

They have it in the washrooms in the terminal at Nanaimo.

Yep, that's the only place I've come across one of those. First use was a surprise!
I wonder if the change at Canoe is due to maintenace issues or user feedback.

#36 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

The Dyson Air Blade is one the greatest inventions of the 21st century!

They have those installed in the bathrooms at the Inn at Laurel Point.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Cactus Club has updated its signed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

There is a fairly substantial rumour circulating that Cactus Club will be opening a restaurant at Uptown Shopping Centre.

Know it all.

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

Personally I think that it is th wrong demographic for the Cactus Club. Other than Government employees, there isn't enough business traffic in the area to drive a solid lunch crowd (Walmat employees won't be eating their) and the residential areas nearby are low to mid market which will impact dinner sales.

#40 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

There is a fairly substantial rumour circulating that Cactus Club will be opening a restaurant at Uptown Shopping Centre.

Buddy of mine has applied for a management postition with this location. Supposed to be two stories with a rooftop deck.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users