Photo

Good Luck Candidates!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:25 AM

Best wishes to all Candidates tomorrow! You guys put in such a huge amount of effort into getting your voices out there, and I salute each one of you for it!

I've got to admit, although some of you differ wildly on issues from me, I'll be smiling when I hear that a VV member gets elected. Hat's off to the candidates who participated here on these forums; it has been awesome to be able to interact with you personally. I hope that no matter which way the election goes tomorrow you'll continue to be an active part of this strange little online community.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:49 AM

Thank you for providing a venue for thoughtful, respectful dialogue.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Little online community? Little? ;)

Good luck to all of you and thank you for making yourselves available on VV.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

D'Oh

hehe
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#5 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Just returned from voting, Saanich, Doncaster School.

About a one person wait at each of four registration tables.
Every single person was over fifty, most looked over sixty-five.

Perhaps the young people are still sleeping in. ;)

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:54 AM

Apparently the numbers in the City of Victoria for the two earlier voting dates (5th and 10th) showed an increase over 2005! So far so good.

Just as an aside, there are now over 75 people viewing this section as I write this. Cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

I've got an "I voted!" sticker on my jacket now!

Voted for mayor, 6 council, 1 school board, and 3 CRD. If you don't know, don't vote.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

My family made it into a group outing. No line ups at Glen Lyon Norfolk school. I got a sticker for my purse. I'm so proud of it. It is blue!

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

I never got a sticker :(

Know it all.

#10 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

Just realized I did not get a voter registration card for Saanich (or do they actually issue those?!) Guess I have to use the two pieces of ID method and hope the ballot counts.

Will post when back from polling at Hillcrest School.

As mentioned by Mike - there are an amazing amount of 'lurkers' in the VV election section.

#11 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

I did not get a voter registration card for Saanich (or do they actually issue those?!)

No, just a card giving the voting places.

#12 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

No, just a card giving the voting places.

We did not get a card with polling locations (none of our neighbours got one either). Hillcrest school said they were slow - only about 200 voters by Noon.

Saanich Civil League had a number of people on the corner of Shelbourne and McKenzie with signs to get out the vote, and handing out flyers of polling locations. There are also some election sign pics here, to satisfy Mike's request for some images...:)

#13 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

Where are people gathering to hear/see the results? Are any candidates holding e-night parties?

For those staying glued to their computers, perhaps we should create a new "2008 Election Night Results" thread where everyone can discuss the numbers as they come in, and what various media outlets are reporting.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

^for sure. Here it is.

Know it all.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

Rob Randall has just notified us to say that Chek 6 is reporting that voter turnout appears higher than originally expected.

James Bay's turnout as of 11AM is at 75% of 2005's figure.

Know it all.

#16 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

I'm not surprised - with the internet making information available to people in their living rooms, and with the huge number of candidates, especially including the younger candidates, I am predicting a much higher involvement from younger voters.

#17 groundlevel

groundlevel
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

City Hall Antechamber is open tonight from 7:30 as Election Central. Lotsa gossip, media of all stripes, and the chance to wave at friends when television pundits pontificating.

same as Caramia -- lots of luck and thank you to all candidates for putting yourselves forward to make civic election best I can remember.

#18 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

City Hall Antechamber is open tonight from 7:30 as Election Central. Lotsa gossip, media of all stripes, and the chance to wave at friends when television pundits pontificating.

same as Caramia -- lots of luck and thank you to all candidates for putting yourselves forward to make civic election best I can remember.

Actually open as of 7pm tonight, to anyone who wants to attend.

I voted on Monday during advance polling, so have been wearing my I Voted sticker all week!

#19 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

We did not get a card with polling locations (none of our neighbours got one either). Hillcrest school said they were slow - only about 200 voters by Noon.

Saanich Civil League had a number of people on the corner of Shelbourne and McKenzie with signs to get out the vote, and handing out flyers of polling locations. There are also some election sign pics here, to satisfy Mike's request for some images...:)

http://lh4.ggpht.com...00/DSC_0004.JPG

Hey look it's me!

I wanted to hand out brochures but I ended up standing on a corner with a sign!
Oh well, there was much better response than I expected, with people in their cars asking where to vote as they drove by.

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

Good for you!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users