Predictions and major issues for 2009-2011

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

Given the history of several elected incumbents and their new allies on council, I think it would be a good idea to hash out what we can except over the next three years from our newly elected representatives.

First and foremost, we now have a majority NDP (Fortin, Hunter, Madoff and Luton) and Green (Chandler and Lucas) party presence. In other words, there is a high likelihood that councillors and our new mayor will subscribe to a partisan agenda. Throughout 2005-2008 the NDP/Victoria Civic Electors voting patterns were almost always unanimous, and Chandler tended to vote in line with NDP candidates. This will most likely continue with Luton and Lucas now padding the votes.

I predict:
  • Further eradication of late-night eateries and a clamping down on Victoria's nightlife.
  • Rezoning and variance applications will stall. However, given the economic situation few major projects will attempt to tread municipal waters for approval. Thankfully Victoria's most important projects have already received approval and are at the stage of waiting to be built and not waiting for municipal blessings.
  • Support for a multi-billion dollar (at least $1.5B) publicly-operated, controversial waste treatment facility.
  • No appetite for changing the status quo.
  • No appetite for issues dealing with amalgamation.
The difficulty ahead of our council in light of the economic situation is tremendous. They will be faced with growing social spending requirements and a slowing down of taxation revenues. This makes me ask:
  • How will they deal with layoffs in our region?
  • Will they be able to provide the sort of social services our city requires without increasing residential and business taxes as the economy continues to slow?
  • How will they manage spending for major infrastructure investments (aging sewer replacements, etc) without digging further into taxpayer pockets?
  • Will they have the clout to bring the province to the table?
  • Will they be able to work effectively with municipal partners to integrate regional services?
  • Will they work to distance themselves from partisan politics?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

I think Luton will be a vote splitter voting equally with either end of the spectrum based on his own values.

Also on the sewage plan I am hoping that a socially conscious and green council will opt for the better smaller sewage option along the line of multiple sites similar to the Dockside Green site.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

I think that the challenge for council will be rationalizing what they would like to do with what they can afford to do in a slowing economy. Given that both the Federal and Provincial Governments are now staring at the real possibility of deficits, I don't know how quickly the mega funds for sewage treatment will be coming.

Most major development projects in Victoria have received approval, but many now are asking for changes. It will be interesting to see how that works itself out.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

I think Luton will be a vote splitter voting equally with either end of the spectrum based on his own values.

Perhaps that will be the case. HOPEFULLY that will be the case.

Most major development projects in Victoria have received approval, but many now are asking for changes. It will be interesting to see how that works itself out.

Indeed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

The new council in Victoria places the left as the establishment for the next three years. They all clearly have strong ideas of how the city should be run and what it should do. If they act pragmatically and listen well, there is no reason they can not be an the easiest council for a developer to deal with the core region.

Saanich is our biggest local government but they have done very little over the last decade to step and take the regional leadership that is their responsibility. Saanich needs to understand that it is no longer just a bedroom community. It also needs to understand that it has to take the bulk of the population growth in the region.

Oak Bay maintains itself as a status quo anti-development council. I do not see Oak Bay shouldering its share of the burden of the region by allowing more local development.

Esquimalt - maybe the council will step up, maybe not.

So, in the core, it will be Victoria that remains the main place where you can develop.

As to voting on council, you need five of nine votes to pass something. Even if one member of the left/green side does not vote in favour, they can still pass things.

So, the issues - the number one issue that will dominate everything will be the homeless people on the streets downtown. Dean Fortin said that by the end of his term there would be no need for anyone to be homeless. Council has a task that is by no stretch of the imagination easy and because they are left/green dominated, the business community will complain loudly and constantly and be at the throat of the mayor.

If homelessness was a problem in the recent past, what happens when we actually have people not being able to find a job if they want to work?

The one upside of the homelessness issue is that is one in which the council is not likely to be divided

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It is one thing to demand a solution to homelessness, but that solution has to go somewhere, and I do not see the neighbourhoods that make up Victoria experiencing a sudden change of heart about accepting those solutions within their boundaries. The big question will be if this council is able to provide leadership to the neighbourhoods, even if it makes them unpopular, or if the neighbourhoods will instead lead council, resulting in no progress on solutions.

Two related questions will be if this council will be able to partner with the province who will be needed at the table in order to fund any solutions, and if this council has enough good relationships with business to encourage the private sector to step up and help with funding? There are people on council who have been extremely vocal in the media blaming the province and business people for any problems on the street, while at the same time refusing to give credit to individuals and organizations within both the province and business who have been working towards solutions. It is a good strategy for getting votes, but how will these politicians now keep those people at the table?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Oak Bay maintains itself as a status quo anti-development council. I do not see Oak Bay shouldering its share of the burden of the region by allowing more local development.

Bernard, exactly where in OB would you put this development?
Show us the open land.
In the past few years OB Council approved higher-density projects:
On OB Avenue with the Carlton House seniors' residence.
On Foul Bay near Safeway, Marrion Gardens was re-developed into Shannon Oaks with much higher density, also for seniors.
On Haultain Street St. Clare Villa, apartments for seniors developed by St. Patrick's parish, was opened in 1999.
And they approved re-development of the OB Beach Hotel with a larger building.

Prior to that they approved demolition of a near-derelict single house to increase density with The Hamilton condo on OB Avenue.

No more cliches about OB please!

#8 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

Given the history of several elected incumbents and their new allies on council, I think it would be a good idea to hash out what we can except over the next three years from our newly elected representatives.

First and foremost, we now have a majority NDP (Fortin, Hunter, Madoff and Luton) and Green (Chandler and Lucas) party presence. In other words, there is a high likelihood that councillors and our new mayor will subscribe to a partisan agenda. Throughout 2005-2008 the NDP/Victoria Civic Electors voting patterns were almost always unanimous, and Chandler tended to vote in line with NDP candidates. This will most likely continue with Luton and Lucas now padding the votes.

I predict:

• Further eradication of late-night eateries and a clamping down on Victoria's nightlife.
  • Rezoning and variance applications will stall. However, given the economic situation few major projects will attempt to tread municipal waters for approval. Thankfully Victoria's most important projects have already received approval and are at the stage of waiting to be built and not waiting for municipal blessings.
  • Support for a multi-billion dollar (at least $1.5B) publicly-operated, controversial waste treatment facility.
  • No appetite for changing the status quo.
  • No appetite for issues dealing with amalgamation.
The difficulty ahead of our council in light of the economic situation is tremendous. They will be faced with growing social spending requirements and a slowing down of taxation revenues. This makes me ask:
  • How will they deal with layoffs in our region?
  • Will they be able to provide the sort of social services our city requires without increasing residential and business taxes as the economy continues to slow?
  • How will they manage spending for major infrastructure investments (aging sewer replacements, etc) without digging further into taxpayer pockets?
  • Will they have the clout to bring the province to the table?
  • Will they be able to work effectively with municipal partners to integrate regional services?
  • Will they work to distance themselves from partisan politics?

Excellent points Mike.
Van Isle seems to have difficulty getting money from Gordo due to extensive NDP representation.
With a 100% leftish council I wonder how well the city will fare when it goes to the well.

#9 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

I think Esquimalt will be more pro-development now as Desjardins is definitely more in favour of it than Clement. I'm not sure about the rest of their council though.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

You don't need open land for development, just underused land.

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Slightly off-topic for Victoria, but I wonder whether Vancouver's municipal lurch to the left will factor into the perennial "Vancouver-gets-and-Victoria-doesn't" equation when it comes to talking to the Province.

One thing I noticed that amused me is how Vancouver's new municipal leadership team proposes to tackle homelessness. You'll never believe this, but they're going to institute what sounds an awful lot like a Mayor's Task Force...

As he reveled in his decisive victory Saturday, Vision Vancouver mayor-elect Gregor Robertson said the first items on his agenda are to tackle homelessness and bring transparency to the Olympic Village project.

"Job number one is calling together an emergency task force on homelessness and working on solutions to getting people off the street into a safe place to live as quickly as possible," said Robertson, minutes after delivering an effusive acceptance speech Saturday night. (MORE)

Funny, I just had a strange sense of deja-vu....!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Oak Bay has not expanded the commercial space in the district. It also has no industrial zoned lands. Jobs have to located somewhere.

Much of Oak Bay is still single family homes on large lots - 61% of the total housing stock. The Uplands is a huge area with very few people living in it.

Oak Bay has 1/2 the population density of Victoria and Victoria has a lot of land in commercial and industrial. It has a lower population density than Esquimalt. The simply reality is that Oak Bay is single family sprawl. Oak Bay has been growing at a slow rate, not nearly fast enough to shoulder its portion of the regional growth.

Estevan through to Foul Bay road could easily be changed to allow for condos and such.

At the end of the day, Oak Bay is close to the core of the region but has not kept up with the density needed to service the population of this region.

Less than 9.4% of the people in Oak Bay use public transit versus 68.7% drive.

All of what it comes down to is that Oak Bay has not lived up to its responsibilities in this region. The council in Oak Bay has to clearly state that Oak Bay is open for a lot more condos, shopping areas and other facilities. The council needs to develop plans for some areas of the district that will be town centres with high density housing, shopping and offices.

#13 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

Perhaps if the NDP wins the next provincial election Victoria will finally start to see some Provincial dollars; however, now Vancouver also has a NDP friendly mayor and council! :rolleyes:

I share many of Mike's concerns, but are there some potential upsides here? For the record, for council I voted for Rob Randall, Charlayne Thornton-Joe, Susan Woods and John Farquharson.

I'm not sure I see too many natural leaders or strong visionaries in the group, but I'd like to see someone grab the proverbial bull by the horns. If there ever was a council that would support the closure of Government street to traffic (at least daytime traffic) surely this is the one. What about eliminating cars from Clover Point and making it pedestrian friendly (Geoff Young has been a big proponent of this idea).

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

"Job number one is calling together an emergency task force on homelessness and working on solutions to getting people off the street into a safe place to live as quickly as possible," said Robertson, minutes after delivering an effusive acceptance speech Saturday night. (MORE)
[/INDENT]Funny, I just had a strange sense of deja-vu....!

Not off topic - very relevant. If you look at most municipal results, especially in the North of BC (where there were the most changes), there is a massive swing to the 'left'. The TC (and others) are reporting recent polls showing the provincial NDP leading the Liberals. The NPA in Vancouver was 'walloped' by Vision - and while it was much closer in Victoria, party politics (NDP) did play.

So - predictions. In the spring provincial elections the liberals will have to swing left in policy and funding announcements as the local electorate has made it clear where they want real action - homelessness, safe streets, drug and addiction prevention and treatment. The provincial party that comes across as more credible on those issues will have the advantage.

If not, Dean Fortin (with his 'slate' council) may just form a co-letter of agreement with like minded councils (Vancouver et al) to pressure the province and feds to act.

#15 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

If not, Dean Fortin (with his 'slate' council) may just form a co-letter of agreement with like minded councils (Vancouver et al) to pressure the province and feds to act.

Mat, I hope you're advising Fortin, or that he's reading this forum! This is the right time for cities to press the Liberals – and, in turn, for the province to press the feds – to get on the right side of urban issues.

I didn't vote for Dean "Action" Fortin myself, but I can't say I'm too surprised or disappointed about the results (aside from our VV friends not getting on council). I know many of the people on this council, and they are reasonable folks. We just have to do what we would've done no matter who was elected: keep advancing the issues that matter, and don't let the municipal agenda be dominated by BANANAs and NIMBYs. Back to work.

#16 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

Mat that's a great point, and hopefully if the province is swinging left this council will be able to bring home some dollars for Victoria. I guess the best thing we can do is work to make sure that the next provincial election also swings NDP/Green, so that our people have some pull.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#17 hoi polloi

hoi polloi
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

Slightly off-topic for Victoria, but I wonder whether Vancouver's municipal lurch to the left will factor into the perennial "Vancouver-gets-and-Victoria-doesn't" equation when it comes to talking to the Province.

One thing I noticed that amused me is how Vancouver's new municipal leadership team proposes to tackle homelessness. You'll never believe this, but they're going to institute what sounds an awful lot like a Mayor's Task Force...

As he reveled in his decisive victory Saturday, Vision Vancouver mayor-elect Gregor Robertson said the first items on his agenda are to tackle homelessness and bring transparency to the Olympic Village project.

Funny, I just had a strange sense of deja-vu....!

fair enough. the 'four pillars' are a model Lowe borrowed from often enough, at least in reference.;) in reality, there are 3 twigs and one massive pillar, but the intent was there at it's inception all those years ago.

there is an emergency. 2010 is looming. (insert eye rolling emo)

ah,the flush of a fresh win, winging grand promises about.

#18 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Mat, I hope you're advising Fortin, or that he's reading this forum! This is the right time for cities to press the Liberals – and, in turn, for the province to press the feds – to get on the right side of urban issues.

I didn't vote for Dean "Action" Fortin myself, but I can't say I'm too surprised or disappointed about the results (aside from our VV friends not getting on council). I know many of the people on this council, and they are reasonable folks. We just have to do what we would've done no matter who was elected: keep advancing the issues that matter, and don't let the municipal agenda be dominated by BANANAs and NIMBYs. Back to work.

Thanks Jaques - an idea, not a policy. and I do not advise anyone directly. But maybe we, as a group, can do so. I have not seen numbers yet on turnout - or even deeper numbers on who was affected by print/TV/radio/internet - that will be very interesting. Without disassociating municipal voters, there is a viable opportunity here, especially through the web, to get a grass roots boost. If local mayors here cannot agree on homelessness, then I could see Dean meeting Gregor to formulate a platform (my god, that would piss of so many, and work so well!!)

#19 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

[quote name='Bernard']Oak Bay has not expanded the commercial space in the district. It also has no industrial zoned lands. Jobs have to located somewhere.

That's why we have downtowns. It was and is almost exclusively residential since its incorporation in 1906. It has been almost fully built-out for well over 50 years, long before the CRD began to grow into its present size. And its the way the citizens want it.

Much of Oak Bay is still single family homes on large lots - 61% of the total housing stock. The Uplands is a huge area with very few people living in it.
Most OB lots outside of the Uplands are normal size, i.e. 5-7000 sq. ft. Uplands was laid out around the time of WWI. Its the residents' right to live how they choose. They are paying, not housing comissars.

Oak Bay has 1/2 the population density of Victoria and Victoria has a lot of land in commercial and industrial. It has a lower population density than Esquimalt. The simply reality is that Oak Bay is single family sprawl. Oak Bay has been growing at a slow rate, not nearly fast enough to shoulder its portion of the regional growth

Sprawl? Now you really are getting silly. It can't sprawl, look at a map. It grows at a slow rate because there is nowhere to grow and people want single-family homes. Is that somehow undesirable? For many its the Canadian dream.

Estevan through to Foul Bay road could easily be changed to allow for condos and such.
Why should it be? The people living there like their neighbourhood. Who wants this?

At the end of the day, Oak Bay is close to the core of the region but has not kept up with the density needed to service the population of this region.
"Density needed to service the population of this region"? Say what? Density is not a service, its a measurement. People in OB have the density that suits them. Many areas in other parts of the CRD are the same, so what?

Less than 9.4% of the people in Oak Bay use public transit versus 68.7% drive.
Where does this figure come from? When and where do they drive? You could say that the vast majority of the people in the CRD drive as well. Obviously most people over 16 drive somewhere, sometime. I know I do.

All of what it comes down to is that Oak Bay has not lived up to its responsibilities in this region.
Please enunciate what these responsibilities might be.

The council in Oak Bay has to clearly state Really? They have to? Says who? that Oak Bay is open for a lot more condos, shopping areas and other facilities. The council needs to develop plans for some areas of the district that will be town centres with high density housing, shopping and offices.
So, re-zone and then what? Demolish existing homes of families? How big do you think OB is? It has a population of about 17,000 and there are areas of higher density. See my previous post. The citizens and taxpayers of OB run it and zone it the way they want. That is their right. QUOTE]

Bernard, with all due respect, I think you are living in some sort of fantasy world with some resentment of OB.

#20 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

I have not seen numbers yet on turnout - or even deeper numbers on who was affected by print/TV/radio/internet - that will be very interesting. Without disassociating municipal voters, there is a viable opportunity here, especially through the web, to get a grass roots boost.

Bernard posted the turnout results here. The turnout numbers in the core were almost unchanged from last time, I think.

Perhaps this is the time to start exploring online petitions as a tool to lobby our municipal politicians. Anyone know about strategies to use them effectively? They seem to work for Avaaz.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users