Photo

Brasserie L'école | Victoria | 1715 Government St.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

http://www.lecole.ca/home.htm

HIGHLY recommended, the place is great and at a fair price. Make reservations.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

Best duck in town! And good pricing too, for the ambience and fare.

#3 Carewser

Carewser
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

I agree, it's very nice and not super expensive. The only problem was, the one time i went i hit the unibroue a bit hard on an empty stomach. By the time i left, i was in a bit of a daze. Even though i was drunk, i could still tell it was a classy little place. Victoria's answer to "Le Crocodile" in Vancouver. I've eaten in a few nice restaurants in my life, but this place had two things that stood out-a cheese list, and meticulously folded little fabric towels to wipe your hands with in the washroom. Great service too. Tres bien!

#4 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

hmmm, I have never even heard of some of these places!

Very interesting....

QUACK QUACK!!! :roll:

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

I went for dinner here last night and despite the boosterism plot line in another thread I can't think of anything bad to say about this place. It was simply one of the best dining experiences I have had in Victoria in years. We started out with Quadra Island Mussels in a dijon, saffron and white wine broth yum! We also had an amazing white Cote de Rhone from Louis Bernard. Only 30 bucks for the bottle! The wine list was great though I am not an expert on french wine but the staff are all very knowledgeable. My wife had the roast halibut with Cous Cous and I had the Albacore tuna with panned vegetables. Both ere perfect portions, fresh and delicious. I really liked the atmosphere too and the staff all worked together in a way I had never seen in a restaurant it was quite impressive. Anyways I will be going back often. I was simply very impressed.

Make a reservation if you go though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:19 AM

^ Yeah, i tried that a few days ago and got nowhere. They are on holidays until January 15. The silly thing is, they probably left before Christmas, yet their message says they are on a "brief" holiday of probably 3 weeks. I wonder what they consider a long holiday? A couple of years?

Regardless, my girlfriend and i will be dining there very soon. I must teach her the ways of fine dining. ;)

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Well, I finally went the other night and once again, it was excellent.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

I must teach her the ways of fine dining. ;)

He's being ironic here. I've personally witnessed Phil ram a Paul's Motor Inn cheeseburger down his gullet in eight seconds flat.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Brings new meaning to Philling his Cavity.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

Anybody know if it's cool to bring a 1 year old here?
I haven't been since before her birth.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

I should mention that she's good in restaurants. She's used to them. I'm just wondering if anyone's ever seen young children there. I generally don't care too much if it's a welcoming restaurant for children or not (we'll go anyway). But this place has a very adult atmosphere. I just wanted to go some place a bit more swanky with the family this weekend.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

I have seen like 12-14 year olds in there.

The thing is this is not fine dining it is very relaxed more like a french bistro atmosphere. So if she is well behaved I would see no problems.

#13 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

Having kids myself I've found most restaurants don't mind babies but as soon as they hit the toddler stage the waiters are more nervous. I always keep cleaning up after mine throughout the meal and never seem to have a problem but some parents don't and the area around the table looks like a bomb went off. I'm sure if she's good it should be ok, call to see if they have highchairs.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

^So it sounds like any other restaurant in the city then. I figured it would be ok, but my vague recollection of the place was more formal than a Cactus Club and less formal than a Cassis. So it was a bit of a grey area for bringing a little, little one.
But I think I'll go for it.
Thanks for the info!

#15 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

Where is "Cassis"? I've never heard of it.

I consider Brasserie like the local version of Le Crocodile in Vancouver. An upscale French Bistro.

Brasserie isn't fine dining? Geeze, I dunno about that G-Man. While there's no dress code, the restaurant has won lots of awards.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

Don't get me wrong it is IMO the best restaurant in the city but it is not "fine dining" in the industry sense, which in general means you have to dress up and your waiter will be wearing a tux and there will 20 pieces silverware.

Cassis was in Cook Street Village where Rosie's Diner is now.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

I meant to say matisse.

#18 winegal

winegal
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

We have taken our little guy there since the beginning. One of the owners(Marc), has a little person himself so I think it would be no problem.

#19 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

Their website notes that they're closing for the month of September for renovations. And then, after they reopen, they'll no longer be taking reservations.

http://www.lecole.ca/reservations.htm

We will be closed for the month of September for renovations to our 100 year old building. Following the seismic upgrades and historical restoration we will no longer be accepting reservations. Brasserie L'école will operate on a strict first-come, first serve basis.

Please note that we are open this week until Friday September 4th however we are already fully booked every night.

If you have any questions or comments please use the form below.

thank you

I wonder why they made the decision not to take reservations? I bet it will turn some people off (not me personally).

#20 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

Their website notes that they're closing for the month of September for renovations. And then, after they reopen, they'll no longer be taking reservations.

http://www.lecole.ca/reservations.htm

I wonder why they made the decision not to take reservations? I bet it will turn some people off (not me personally).

This is disappointing. Vij's in Vancouver is like this and it's a grand pain in the ass. Can any industry types tell me why on earth a resto would do this?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users