Photo

Brasserie L'école | Victoria | 1715 Government St.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:49 AM

Too many no shows while having to turn away customers at the door?

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

Exactly. From the last few times I have tried to make reservations there, I believe their calendar has become more complex than a airline booking system.

#23 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

If its a bistro then it should be walk-in and not like booking a dentist appointment.
Bistro derives from the Russian meaning "quickly" or fast.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

Exactly. From the last few times I have tried to make reservations there, I believe their calendar has become more complex than a airline booking system.

It is, I took a peek at it last time I was there...

#25 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

One thing that irks me no end in ths town and this country is that every beanery does the "please wait to be seated" trip while making sure no staffer is at the door.
If you have to wait for a Grade 9 dropout does it make you more grateful for the culinary masterpieces awaiting?

#26 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

If its a bistro then it should be walk-in and not like booking a dentist appointment.
Bistro derives from the Russian meaning "quickly" or fast.

Actually, it's a brasserie.
From wikipedia
In France and the francophone world, a brasserie is a type of restaurant with a relaxed, upscale setting, which serves single dishes and other meals. The word 'brasserie' is also French for brewery and, by extension, "the brewing business". A brasserie can be expected to have professional service and printed menus (unlike a bistro which may have neither). Typically, a brasserie is open every day of the week and serves the same menu all day.
A little lost in translation in Canada. Nothing about reservations. And damn, I wish Brasserie was open all day, like Le Pichet in Seattle.

#27 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

And damn, I wish Brasserie was open all day, like Le Pichet in Seattle.

After visiting Le Pichet in Seattle I wished the Brasserie was more casual. Brasserie L'ecole certainly blurs the line between a casual bistro and a more formal dining room. Hopefully the dropping of the reservations will help make it a bit more casual. Booking three weeks in advance for steak & fries doesn't really make sense.

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

If you are a small restaurant and you take reservations then you need to do it properly (in my opinion). You need to have "sittings" so that you can turn a table a couple of times a night and you need to enforce the fact that you won't hold a table past the reservation time. Otherwise you get caught with no shows and/or wind up with only a single sitting because you took a 6pm reservation. You should also need to leave some tables free for walk ups so people don't start to get the idea that unless you book 3 weeks in advance then there is no point trying to make a last minute reservation or just showing up at the door.

They will really need to eduate their clients about the changes unless they have a really regular client base. Because of the previous reservation policy, I am sure lots of people would never think of just showing up at the door so they run the risk of being light the first little while. Secondly, they cater to a clientelle that doesn't wait in line. You don't get larger groups and who wants to hang out with the junkies in the rain?

I hope it works for them as I quite like the restaurant.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

Sittings at the Brasserie would have been awful and totally taken away from the feel of the place. I personally like the idea of no reservations.

#30 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Paris brasseries are certainly formal in decor, many of the great ones in fabulous over-the-top Second Empire style (for real, they were built in the 19th C.). Decor is formal but atmosphere is casual. They are usually quite large and often on two floors seating 200 or more diners. Like Brit pubs they were usually tied to a certain brewer so a great many of them are Alsatian in origin. Today they are owned/operated in Paris largely by Auvergnats (natives of the Auvergne). Menus are mainly stick-to-the-ribs fare, a la carte and prix fixe.
That said, you walk in and sit down, no nonsense about wait here or that section is closed. L'ecole is actually more a bistro, its too small to be a brasserie.

#31 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

walked by this place today and they had furniture inside...not sure if it is open for business

#32 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

walked by this place today and they had furniture inside...not sure if it is open for business

Their website says that they are open for business; and they are no longer taking reservations.

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

Having owned and operated the "Cock Pheasant" back in the late 70's with the same 13 tables, I had experience with both. Reservations for dinners, and walk ins for lunch. Obviously we are talking very different neighborhoods here so this comment needs to be taken lightly.

Basically the best that can happen with a table is 3 sittings. 5,7, and 9 PM. Most tables however get 2 rotations 6 and 8 PM......... 7 and 9 PM as not a lot of people like to eat at 5:00 PM. If a party does not show up for a reservation you basically loose 1/2 the income from that table. The other issue is when you are known for reservations only, there is a potential loss if the customers eat quickly and go to a movie. The table could have had another sitting if walk ins are the norm.

Relying on walk ins instead of reservations however can be a bit hit and miss. Too many or not enough happens more often than "just the right amount."

The problem that I see even with this downtown location is that it is not a very nice part of town for evening strolling in the winter if you are on a wait list. The web site suggests you could "go across the street" for a cocktail, but where would that be? the stripper bar?

I wish this restaurant every success. They probably are the best in the business.

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

^ I think they mean Solomons.

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

The other issue is when you are known for reservations only, there is a potential loss if the customers eat quickly and go to a movie. The table could have had another sitting if walk ins are the norm.

Relying on walk ins instead of reservations however can be a bit hit and miss. Too many or not enough happens more often than "just the right amount."

While I have nothing but respect for the Brasserie folks (despite my shame of having not yet dined there), I am a bit confused by their new policy.

Most places have a hybrid system: that is, a certain percentage of tables are allocated for reservations, and when that quota has been hit, reservations for the evening are closed. Those who call for resos but can't get one are still encouraged to try walking in. That still allows for a walk-by/walk-in business, and if ther resos don't fill or there are no shows, the walk-ins can take their place.

#36 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

While I have nothing but respect for the Brasserie folks (despite my shame of having not yet dined there), I am a bit confused by their new policy.

Most places have a hybrid system: that is, a certain percentage of tables are allocated for reservations, and when that quota has been hit, reservations for the evening are closed. Those who call for resos but can't get one are still encouraged to try walking in. That still allows for a walk-by/walk-in business, and if ther resos don't fill or there are no shows, the walk-ins can take their place.

A hybrid system was considered but the restaurant is just too small with only 12 tables: Capacity for reservations is reached but the Bob Fugger calls and we all know he leaves 30% so gets a reservation. Then the accountant calls and he gets a table. The couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary plead for a reservation and are successful.

It's much easier (and more fair) to make a blanket "no reservation" rule that applies to everyone.

#37 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

^ I think they mean Solomons.

or Veneto or Up After Dark or even Canoe.

#38 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:20 AM

My fav eating establishment in Vic, heck, on the island! I'll still buy one cocktail (ok, maybe two) a bottle of wine (or two) with dinner AND leave the 30% tip despite not being able to reserve a table.
:D

#39 loopyca

loopyca

NomNom

• 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

Love this place too - and think a lot of it has to do with the feeling we get from the servers. Nice, easy to talk to and I don't feel intimidated to ask what something is if I don't understand by its name ;)

BUT we ALWAYS default to the steak and frites fancy... would love to hear what ELSE other people get there that they love!

#40 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

When my wife and I discovered this restaurant we had a collective sigh in appreciation. My wife lived in Montreal and we have been there a number of times and simply loved our dining experiences in these ambience soaked environments. Brasserie is the closest experience to this that I have come across on the west coast. We loved it.
Then the no reservation issue came up. This is another case of the few (no-shows) spoiling it for the many!! We make reservations and honour them. Period. As we have a little one at home now, we don't have the luxury of waiting in line for an undetermined amount of time and not to mention the fact that I don't do so well with line ups.
It has consistently been busy there and we've not been able to 'walk-up' so we've had to take it off the list as our favourite.
I don't blame the owners as I understand how frustrating it must be to deal with reservations not being honoured.
I'm sure we will try to go again in the future but we'll consider it a lucky day if we can actually get seated.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users