Photo

Vancouver 2010 Olympics - General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#601 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

What a crazy day. I'm hearing from friends and family that 7am was too late to get into anywhere to watch the game.

Its too bad the playoffs weren't at BC Place. Think how epic it could have been.

#602 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

http://www.timescolo...4240/story.html
And in a few hours, that item they have in their hand will be worth nothing.

I can't think of another comparable situation. It's wacky.

I can think of one. Virgin Galactic is selling space flights for $200,000, I have heard that some of the early positions have been resold for over a million.

I know if I had tickets I would have went on a fishing trip. Just list them for a really high value and if you get the value great, if not also great. I had a friend who did that for the Slovakia game and got $2k a ticket.

#603 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

NBC wins big points over CTV again, by putting Don Cherry on air during the pre-game. Cherry did not disappoint, wearing a red velvet jacket, high-collar white shirt and shiny maple-leaf tie. His best line: "If the US is going to win, Ryan Miller has to be fantastic in goal, because he's going to see more rubber than a dead skunk on the New Jersey Turnpike." Then cut to NBC's Al Michaels: "I didn't know that Hallowe'en fell on February 28 in Canada." Scripted? Sure. But hilarious.

#604 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

For the first time ever, Canada is a world power in something...

Lest we forget, in late 1945 the Royal Canadian Navy was the third-largest in the world and the Royal Canadian Air Force was the fourth-largest.

It's the winter olympics. It's great that people had a good time but let's not go overboard, folks.

#605 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

I think we are a world power in potash production. #2 or #3 in diamonds. Pretty high up in petroleum reserves if we could only get to it easy.

#606 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Close game, I don't usually get worked up over Hockey but this has me on edge...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#607 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

That was very exciting. Great way to end the games.

Is it my imagination or has a lot of the negativity about these games been coming from UK media?

Seb Coe must avoid Vancouver's jingoism if 2012 is to be a success

It's also important for "the brand" that the Olympics be seen as an "international" celebration and not just a celebration of the host country and its athletes.

China was guilty in Beijing two years ago of favouring the former over the later – no surprise there – and so has Canada, which over the last two weeks has shed once and for all an enviable reputation as welcome refuge from sporting jingoism more normally associated with the nation on its southern border, with the Maple leaf more evident than ever before; on the ubiquitous hockey shirts that are everywhere in Vancouver, in the aforementioned Own the Podium campaign and in the thin-skinned response to those who have dared to point out the 2010 winter games have been less than a 100% success.

http://www.guardian....coe-london-2012

#608 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

^ Not your imagination at all, but that's how The Guardian and others sell papers, I don't begrudge them for that.

#609 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

Olympic Committee President: “I have never seen a city embrace the Games in this way.

#610 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

No such thing as sporting jingoism in the UK.

#611 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

...that's how The Guardian and others sell papers...

Criticizing Vancouver's olympic games would seem to be a very narrow niche in which to specialize. Hopefully it's paying off well right about now because it's likely going to be slim pickings from here on out.

#612 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

BBC's answer to The Guardian

Were these Winter Olympics the best ever?
James Pearce | 20:04 UK time, Sunday, 28 February 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics_may.html

I was in Beijing, and I can assure you that you simply cannot compare the spectator experience there with the one here in Vancouver. Vancouver wins hands down.

{...}

#613 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

^ The control of still iamges seems lame. I can see they need to control video to protect the broadcasters, but ordinary pix?

Fugger, did my taxes pick up the bill for your "volunteering"?

In what sense? I had to burn holidays to volunteer, but I wasn't subsidezed at all: not like provincial government employees.

#614 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

Vancouver Winter Games triumphs through adversity
Reuters

http://www.reuters.c...type=sportsNews [...]

#615 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I think we are a world power in potash production. #2 or #3 in diamonds. Pretty high up in petroleum reserves if we could only get to it easy.

BC is a world power in pot production!

#616 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Complete jovial mayhem in downtown Victoria just after the game this afternoon. A lot of very drunk and a lot of happy people with flags. Lots of chants and singing. They even had to close Government for a while because of the crowds. Similar scene outside the Sticky Wicket. When I was there it seems just past the tipping point. Some were rocking cars as they were trying to get through the crowds. Somebody told someone else to eff off when he starting singing the American anthem. There were some very - falling over - drunk people.
Many drivers honking, waving flags out of windows.

I feel slightly left out not being able to make it to Vancouver, but I really felt I was a part of it this afternoon.

----

The mime at the beginning the closing ceremonies was perfection. The line-up of musical artists they have at the end is close to hell.

#617 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

Well that's it, folks :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#618 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

I noticed that BC Place Stadium was not on the list of places you could click on to track the energy use. Anyone want to wager a guess at how much was used during the ceremonies?

#619 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Furlong's French was not quite smooth (eh)? :D That's worse than me on my annual Montreal trip. Ah, at least he did it rather than leaving it to an interpretor.

Secondly, who the hell is Marie-Mai, other than the hottest Quebec star I've never heard of before tonight...

Thirdly, Crosby's goal was pretty nice, he did all the work twice before he got the puck back. Good stuff. Douglas street had lots of honking horns a half hour after the win.

#620 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

I think we need a thread titled "Filling the void: After Vancouver 2010"

If anything, Vancouver 2010 has shown us that Canadians want to come together to celebrate. Displays of patriotism in Vancouver were stronger and longer lasting than any Canada day I have seen and the Canadian spirit was stronger than ever.

Do you think there is any hope for for keeping even a fraction of that alive now that the games are gone? Will communities work together to bring more outdoor arts and culture events to us?

Where do we go from here?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users