• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#661 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:00 AM

Bit disappointing that it isn't in HD :rolleyes:

I'm amazed how packed BC place is for this. I would have thought they'd barely fill half.

My two oldest boys went over for it and they were wowed by the event from the atmosphere of the crowd.

When you think about it, BC is a great place for the paralympic games when you consider Terry Fox and Rick Hansen are from BC, when Vancouver is a place where being in a wheelchair is not a problem to becoming mayor.

I suspect that if CTV had showed the event Canada wide and had promoted it they would have strong viewership.

Given that the money available for the paralympic openings was a tiny amount compared to the Olympic opening, I think they were very well done.

Historically paralympic games have had very low attendance, but it seems people in BC are buying a lot of tickets for events, but then the 2010 Olympic games are the only Olympic Games to sell out all of the tickets.

#662 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

Steve Fonyo is from BC too I think?

#663 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

Steve Fonyo is from BC too I think?

His parents moved to BC shortly after he was born.....in Montreal.

#664 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

I suspect that if CTV had showed the event Canada wide and had promoted it they would have strong viewership.

CTV was showing some disappointed people too after the opening ceremony because the various Olympic pavilions and such were closing earlier than they did during the Olympics.

Perhaps the idea that the Paralympics are simply an afterthought has broadcasters thinking the same thing. The opening ceremony wasn't broadcast nationally on CTV-T (HD) and if you go to CTVolympics.ca you I don't see any live streaming of the competitions listed in the schedule.

I don't really ever recall watching the Paralympics after the Olympics were held in other countries, but it would be nice to watch it online.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#665 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

^ Yes, I think the popularity has caught some people off-guard. It's a bit tought for the networks to change programming now, after they have sold commercial spots to advertisers for other programming, not the paralympics.

#666 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

It can not have been that hard to have paralympics stuff streaming online since they have to provide a live feed anyway. I watched last night on paralympics TV - a website for all the paralympic events that is run by the IPC.

The opening ceremonies sold out several days before Friday. The only reason my boys got tickets from their uncle is that there were some volunteers that were supposed to be in the audience bailed on Thursday and there was no logistics to sell these few seats that had not been in the sales database.

The kids were really happy for the seats they got close to the stage and only 12 rows in from the front on the floor.

The GG sought out my brother and his boss after the show to express to them how moved she was by the ceremonies. It is even more amazing given that PRP productions had to take over running a bunch of events during the Olympics and then only had a short time to get everything ready for last night. They only have a team of seven of them in the company.

The 2010 Paralympic games are selling very well, much, much better than anyone expected. I believe there is not a single ticket left for wheelchair curling or sledge hockey.

It has been so hard to ever see anything of the paralympics in the past so I am glad there is a place online to see the events. I love the message that paralympics send that people are not confined or defined by their disability, but then it was one a I grew up with. Because of polio my mother had one leg with no functioning muscles. She skied - that was in 1943. She emigrated to Canada because she was told as a cripple she could not do something like that. She refused crutches till she was in her early 60s. She also refused to use handicap parking till then as well. She refused to let anyone tell her for any reason that there was something she could not do if she wanted to.

Various people in the ceremony last night reminded me of the spirit my mother had. I am glad my brother managed to put on such an inspirational ceremony of ability and not pity for disability.

#667 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Anyone else find the Paralympic closing ceremony a bit of a let-down?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#668 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

STEVE FONYO WEDDING CALLED OFF
CFAX

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=14396

WEDDING ORGANIZER AND LOCAL PHILANTHROPIST JOHN VICKERS SAYS THE DECISION TO CANCEL THE WEDDING COMES AFTER INFORMATION WAS PRINTED IN A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE REGARDING FONYO'S FIANCEE LISA GREENWOOD. THE ARTICLE STATES GREENWOOD IS CURRENTLY SERVING TIME IN JAIL

#669 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Fonyo arrested
VIC NEWS
http://www.bclocalne.../100154844.html

Delta police department arrested Fonyo on Thursday for allegedly using a bogus card to buy gas from a North Delta gas station on three occasions.

#670 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

^He's the poster child for someone being their own worst enemy. Too bad. I do feel for him and want the best, but first he hides the fact that his fiance is in jail, and now this?
But then he raised 13 million for cancer....i don't know what to think.

#671 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

^ This poor soul has done so much good....and so much not so good. The pendulum is still swinging.

#672 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

As Sparky will recall I ordered a copy of the Vancouver 2010 commemorative bluray box set. I finally got around to taking a look tonight at the first disc with the opening and closing ceremonies.

CTV really dropped the ball. The ceremonies were severely truncated. Maybe I'll look at the remaining discs, maybe not.

#673 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

^ Seb, that was an expensive purchase. Maybe the joy is in the games itself?

Is the blu ray a good quality?

#674 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

^ Seb, that was an expensive purchase. Maybe the joy is in the games itself?

I suppose. The real kicker is that the ceremonies are available for free, in their entirety on Youtube.

Is the blu ray a good quality?

So far it looks that way. I haven't watched the sports yet. Certainly higher-res than DVD.

#675 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

Best deal I got on Olympic gear was the three seat leather couch and two matching arm chairs for under $1K The 20 towels for $20 was also a good deal

#676 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

Vancouver's Olympic village plans deep-discount condo sale

In the last-ditch effort to sell what has become Vancouver’s financial albatross, the Olympic village receiver is due to file a plan with the court Thursday that includes a new name, price reductions of up to 50 per cent on a new phase of condo sales, and a $7-million sweetener for buyers that will pay off the health-club mortgage and the hefty lease costs for the project’s signature energy-use monitors.

The incentives are aimed at recovering as much as possible of the $783-million the city is owed for the village, currently called Millennium Water.

read more;
http://www.theglobea...article1901656/

#677 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

And if they drop the price another 50% then the condos will be fairly priced!

#678 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

So it's been exactly ten years since the 2010 games and the big news in Vancouver yesterday is a push for a 2030 bid. Furlong leading the charge again, with financial backing from Rocky Mountaineer.

#679 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:52 PM

John Horgan looked and sounded highly non-committal when interviewed on the subject yesterday, ditto for Vancouver's mayor. I think the only way this has even the remotest chance is if both senior levels of government are 100%++ all in financially, which seems dubious. I think both have far bigger fish to fry so I'd be the most surprised person in the room if this initiative actually achieves any real momentum.

Besides, the west coast, Vancouver....in what passes for "winter" on the Left Coast....and ten years from now? Given the debacle with the lack of wintry conditions a decade ago in 2010, in all likelihood the only way they see enough snow on the local mountains in 2030 is to start storing it in freezers now....

#680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,855 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

Besides, the west coast, Vancouver....in what passes for "winter" on the Left Coast....and ten years from now? Given the debacle with the lack of wintry conditions a decade ago in 2010, in all likelihood the only way they see enough snow on the local mountains in 2030 is to start storing it in freezers now....

are you kidding? 

even if the average temperature was up 2 degrees (it's not) there would be a barely perceivable difference between february 1992 snowfall and february 2030 snowfall accumulation at whistler.  

why do so many smart people buy into this global warming nonsense?

the highest snowfall ever recorded at whistler was in 2009.

tell me you see a trend here that puts 2030 in jeopardy.  why make such a rubbish statement?

https://whistlerplat...tain-statistics

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2020 - 04:28 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users