Photo

Vancouver 2010 Olympics - General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#101 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

Many protestors are the same people that get in on whatever is cause of the week. It's like a cult. They don't have any solutions, they just disrupt the people that contribute to society in a meaningful way.

We have so few rituals. The (primal) passing of fire/ heat/ warmth between human hands is inspiring and I think a good symbol for children to witness first hand at least once in their lives.

#102 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Today there seems to be a big backlash to the protesters in the Times Columnist. There also seems to be angry at the police and security services for allowing and even protecting the misfits. Personally I have to feel bad for the police. If there use any force against the protesters it is labelled "excessive", but if they do nothing then they are criticized as well.

#103 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

I would add that there were a few members of the public the news media witnessed who were arguing with the protesters. We hardly need reminding that the police are there to protect everybody, even the protesters.

Some rogue protesters acknowledge this by attempting to seriously injure the horses and their riders.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#104 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Hope those marble-wielding protesters got their butts kicked, since technically they attacked the police. As for the relay itself, it was quite anti-climatic, especially with those large, loud, slow moving advertisments in tow.

#105 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Personally I have to feel bad for the police. If there use any force against the protesters it is labelled "excessive", but if they do nothing then they are criticized as well.

I'm sure some protesters were just itching for a fight - and trying to incite a horse to bolt in that environment is criminal.

I think the police were smart to observe and suss out the dangerous characters in the pack.

#106 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

Assuming, of course, that the rogue protesters were not agents provocateur...

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Assuming, of course, that the rogue protesters were not agents provocateur...

When I went down to the Leg. to see the kickoff ceremony I was wearing a suit, and because I wanted to stay abreast of delays etc., so I wouldn't spend an extra hour waiting down there, I had an earpiece in just one ear connected to CFAX, the wire going down into my suit jacket. I think some people thought I might have been undercover security, because several people gave me a few once-overs (and I'm sure it wasn't for my good looks).

#108 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

An interesting story has been brought to light by retired journalist Harvey Oberfield on his blog - about members of the media being torch bearers. Not only were former medalists turned down, but journalists should never make themselves part of the stories they cover. Its the second item at http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog and I think well worth a read.

Maybe Hardly Underfed was just a little ticked because he can't run 300 meters.:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#109 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

Many protestors are the same people that get in on whatever is cause of the week. It's like a cult. They don't have any solutions, they just disrupt the people that contribute to society in a meaningful way.

bingo - Bingo. These people aren't protesting the Olympics, they just know big crowds and the media will be there and they can go out and cause trouble and get noticed. They obviously do nothing else but this - you can see all the same group of under achievers at every protest about anything.

They hate everthing about the government and society except for the welfare checks they pick up every second Wednesday. Well that's not quite true, they think they should be paid more to do nothing.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

This is what is left of the Leg. lawn after Friday night. This is from today's Zombie Walk:

#111 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

^ Whoah! I see what you mean about its being a mud pit...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

That torch sure gets a lot of soot on it...

#113 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

That torch sure gets a lot of soot on it...

I find it clumsy looking.
Certainly not worth $350.

#114 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

[ snip ] Fine, we get it - you don't like how our moola's being spent.
Get over it and move on already.

Hey, can you give me the contents of your bank account and credit card number? Please don't worry about how I spend it, it's not like I'm asking for the equity in your house. "Move on." Don't hold your breath.

How many times have the Olympics shown a net gain for the hosting communities?
see... .A post-Olympic hurdle for Greece: the whopping bill (Christian Science Monitor)
an
d... How the Olympics Destroy Cities

And it's not just the money... housing. (Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions) We've seen recently the introduction of a patently absurd law (mandatory sheltering in bad weather) that should give the police a convenient fig leaf to round up visually undesired elements.

I don't feel like expending my energy on protesting the Olympics, and I don't agree with all the tactics used, but I sure do understand why they would be protesting.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#115 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

Why don't they go protest at the Sea to Sky, Athlete's Village or lay down on the Canada Line then, because that's where almost all of the taxpayer money went.

All these idiots want to do is spoil other people's enjoyment of the Olympic experience. If I don't like taxpayer money being spent on the stupid hippie crap these morons enjoy, I guess I have the right to run on stage and disrupt it?

#116 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

The money was already spent on the relay. If you ruin it for the public, you are effectively making it more expensive since less of the money is going to the public enjoyment of the relay.

These protestors really are morons.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#117 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

Why don't they go protest at the Sea to Sky, Athlete's Village or lay down on the Canada Line then, because that's where almost all of the taxpayer money went.

There were protests with respect to the upgrades of the Sea to Sky highway. Olympics or not, this highway needs major upgrades and only a part of it was upgraded. In many winters Hwys #1, #3 and #5 can end up closed to due to weather, Hwy #99 is the most reliable one for staying open.

The Canada Line, it was needed in the lower mainland 20 years ago.

To say that either of these are Olympic expenses is not reasonable.

#118 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

Most of the comments in the TC relating to the protests were from people angry that they didn't get to carry / watch the torch due to the protests. I find it ironic that these people get so upset about such a trivial thing. Many of the people protesting don't even have a home of their own.

There is no excuse for foul language or harrassing tactics. The BC Government is partially to blame however in that they should have known that announcing (the day before the start of the torch relay) yet another attempt to clean the homeless from downtown Vancouver during the games would incite unrest. I have no doubt that at least some of the people protesting were encouraged to do so by that action.

#119 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

Olympic torch protesters say police threw marbles at horses, caused fracas
Torch relay accusations 'absurd': officers
BY JOANNE HATHERLY, TIMES COLONISTNOVEMBER 3, 2009 6:57 AM

Anti-Olympic protesters say it was not them, but the police themselves, who threw marbles at police horses during the Olympic torch rally in Victoria Friday. They say a police "provocateur" planted among the demonstrators did so to discredit them.

The police, meanwhile, say the allegation is ridiculous.

"The public saw marbles coming from the crowd -- and Victoria police officers saw it," said Sgt. Grant Hamilton of Victoria police.

http://www.timescolo...5500/story.html

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

Do you think police planted provocateurs in the crowd protesting the Olympic Torch?
Answer Votes %
Yes 25 26%
No 72 74%
Total: 97 100%

http://www.cfax1070.com/polls.php

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users