- - - - -

NOOD (New Objects of Desire)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

NOOD (New Objects of Desire) is the new furniture/household store on lower Yates Street. Basically knock-offs of famous designers and Ikea type stuff, what I couldn't believe were the prices. $195 for a foosball table? I thought, where in the hell is this stuff made? I already knew my answer but I thought I would ask anyway. China the clerk replied — but we have strict quality and worker ethics control! LOL.

Fill your boots everyone with cheap stuff made in China at NOOD. The store looks cool, modern and minimilist but if you don't care about quality and where it is made then go there. Even the furniture, albeit some of it is high priced, you can see the quality has China knock-off written all over it. Shhhhhh, don't tell your friends it's a knock-off — let them believe its a designer piece! You will probably get what you paid for at NOOD.

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:47 PM

A reclusive New Zealand billionaire and philanthropist has gained a toehold in Canada for her new chain of designer home products and furnishings stores.

TC article

http://www.canada.co...04-10a4959fbb1d

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Bad time, IMHO, to be opening a new store selling discretionary goods.

#4 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

Bad time, IMHO, to be opening a new store selling discretionary goods.

My sentiments exactly = the retail boom in boutique shops downtown, especially lower Yates st. looks wonderful, but is on shaky economic ground. Shops like NOOD do very well in up-and-coming urban areas, especially with lots of new condos - and we are seeing a fairly dramatic slowdown in those sales.

Wait until after Christmas, let's see some retail sales results - expect to see 'for lease' signs, and brown paper in the windows.

#5 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Opening a store selling crap made in a China at any price is a risky business rightnow. Basically, after the global economic downtown is done, back comes high oil prices, which will basically erase the profit margin from offshoring manufacturing work.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:24 AM

Looked in, didn't see anything of interest to me. Most of it did not look comfortable.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

Popped my head in the other day. Staff were busy wheeling cardboard out of the store and into a truck and moving boxes into the back. Everything was 50% off.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

Some of the stuff there is very good quality. Their dining room chairs and tables are solidly built and attractive.
Most of the stuff isn't my taste, but I don't have a problem buying a knock-off as long as it's decent quality.

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

Opening a store selling crap made in a China at any price is a risky business rightnow.

Is there any other kind of store?

#10 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

The first weekend of the sale there were line-ups out the door most of the time on both Saturday and Sunday, and the staff were running around trying to meet everyone's inquiries. Their Knock-offs do seem better made than some of the stores I've seen with similar items.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:42 PM

Local furniture retailer Gabriel Ross criticizes NOOD for their unoriginal knock-offs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

Local furniture retailer Gabriel Ross criticizes NOOD for their unoriginal knock-offs.

Kinda expected - but same is true of all local mass market and boutique retailers. Few designs - be they furniture, clothing or websites are totally unique. Designers build on each other, and the expectations of the market.

#13 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

[quote name='Coreyburger']Opening a store selling crap made in a China at any price is a risky business rightnow. quote]

I refuse to buy anything with China on the label. A challenge as that includes most of the clothes and items you find these days in department stores, and they seem to have the corner on the candle market too.

Anyway just my two cents because its after midnight and I have sugar induced insomnia. Eating a pint of strawberries (made in Abbotsford) while watching the late news can do that.:)

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

Sue,

Two issues my friend:2.

1. Even the stuff made in Canada is most likely made in China. Canadian law only requires that the item be packaged in Canada to carry the "made in Canada" label.

2. Don't know anything about NOOD but clearly they are a big success or the competitor wouldn't be bent out of shape trying to slam their products!

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

It is a nice store either way. A bit expensive though.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

It is a nice store either way. A bit expensive though.

And about as close as we are going to see to an IKEA for a long time.

#17 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

He does have a point.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

If NOOD stuff was IKEA-cheap it would be fine, disposable furniture, a nicer-looking alternative to the ugly crap you see at the Brick.

But NOOD isn't all that cheap considering the genuine article will probably last much longer and will be an actual heirloom that retains its value. How much will that old IKEA/NOOD/Brick sofa be worth ten years from now?

NOOD

leather lounger
starting $1,599.00 CAD
SKU:F100395
The Leather Lounger is an iconic piece, which is inspired by Charles and Ray Eames’s Eames Lounger that was designed in 1956. The Leather Lounger is constructed of high quality rosewood plywood, full grain leather and an aluminum base.

35.5 x 31 x 33 (W x D x H")

Available in black or white

=========

Gabriel Ross

Herman Miller Eames® Lounge Chair
[Model: ES670]

Price: $3,334.00 CAD

Classic Comfort Luxurious feel - The Eames Lounge Chair has 6-inch-thick urethane foam cushions and rich leather upholstery. A place to relax - The contours of the seat and high back welcome the sitter, and a swivel mechanism is built in. Quality and Craftsmanship Attention to detail - All pieces are hand assembled. Practical features - Cushions are individually upholstered and replaceable; back cushions are interchangeable; shock mounts are resilient natural rubber.

DESIGNER:

* Charles and Ray Eames 1956

MATERIALS:

* 7-ply wood shell
* Die-cast aluminum base and back braces
* Urethane foam cushions with leather upholstery
* Natural rubber shock mounts

COLOURS/FINISHES:

Pick from our Shell Finish swatch:

AVAILABLE OPTIONS:
[Leather Option]:
[Shell Finish Option]:
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

NOOD
leather lounger
starting $1,599.00 CAD
SKU:F100395
=========
Gabriel Ross - Herman Miller Eames® Lounge Chair
[Model: ES670] Price: $3,334.00 CAD
DESIGNER:
* Charles and Ray Eames 1956
MATERIALS:
* 7-ply wood shell
* Die-cast aluminum base and back braces
* Urethane foam cushions with leather upholstery
* Natural rubber shock mounts
COLOURS/FINISHES:
AVAILABLE OPTIONS:
[Leather Option]:
[Shell Finish Option]:

What you can't find on Vibrant Victoria!
You guys are a riot! :)

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

And about as close as we are going to see to an IKEA for a long time.

Why on earth would you want an IKEA?

Its stuff is ok for a college dorm or the like but thats about it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users