NOOD (New Objects of Desire)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

Why on earth would you want an IKEA?

I never said I wanted an IKEA, but it's something that some folks around here have said they have wanted for quite some time. The quality of some their products is quite good. I particularly like some of the gadgets and kitchen wear. I am not a fan of built-it-youself furniture, but from what I have seen, the quality of IKEA's furniture has improved considerably in recent years. It's not just the "Billy" bookcases of your childhood anymore.;)

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

I've lined my basement walls with sharp looking bookcases/ drawers from ikea.
I have a contemporary, solid clear cedar Ikea hutch from the early eighties that looks like it was bought yesterday from a high end store.

I know a few tradesmen that wouldn't hesitate putting in an Ikea kitchen, with a few modifications.

#23 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

I've lined my basement walls with sharp looking bookcases/ drawers from ikea.
I have a contemporary, solid clear cedar Ikea hutch from the early eighties that looks like it was bought yesterday from a high end store.

I know a few tradesmen that wouldn't hesitate putting in an Ikea kitchen, with a few modifications.

Thanks for coming to Ikea's defense - there are problems with life expectancy and durability of some furniture designs, but generally speaking what they offer is value.

Decades ago I was involved in building new cabins for a YMCA camp on Howe Sound. The cabins were built by a wonderful local artisan, who suggested Ikea as a potential source for bunk beds, lighting - all sorts of stuff. We met with this 'new' company, and the experience was quite interesting . Ikea was honest and comfortable in providing insight to the entire product line - it's potential durability, usability, ease (or not) of set up etc. YMCA have not looked back from that - they tend to use Ikea as a 1st source.

Years later (1990's) my wife and I were heavily involved in setting up new youth hostels around Europe. We approached Ikea and they were frankly incredible - going so far to work with local artisans to provide (and redesign) furniture, dinner ware, and bathroom hardware, that fit the design requirements of the locality, and expected clients.

2005 - the family moves from Belgium to Victoria. A large house, some furniture, plenty of stuff coming from the house in Brugge. But we need beds, book shelves, kitchen stuff, tables etc. - Ever gone around Victoria for a one stop shop for all of that? Impossible. An immediate need bed for our son with under roll, pull out storage and decent mattress cost nearly $1000 from Sears.

A trip to Richmond Ikea, loading the Honda Element beyond capacity, for under $1500, and we had decent bookshelves, TV stands, tables etal.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

It's not just the "Billy" bookcases of your childhood anymore.;)

You can even pimp out that Billy, and your other IKEA stuff.

It is interesting that a lot of NOOD furniture cannot be sold to US buyers for legal reasons.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

To a large extend this is reflective of the Victoria retail mindset.

For years certain retailers have been making a very good living selling so-so goods at very steep markups because we are on an Island and there is limited choice. As soon as an established chain comes into town selling similar goods at a lower price then the immediate reaction is to criticize the merchant and discount the quality of what they are selling.

#26 S_B_Russell

S_B_Russell
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

Yes, Ikea sells a lot of stuff that isn't high quality, but their kitchens are pretty awesome. My last two places in Canada and my current residence in Geneva all have/had Ikea kitchens and they are very durable and quite stylish.

#27 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

I didn't know the Stig could cook!

#28 S_B_Russell

S_B_Russell
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

I didn't know the Stig could cook!

I can only do so much driving...

Watch for me on Top Chef! ;)

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yes, Ikea sells a lot of stuff that isn't high quality, but their kitchens are pretty awesome. My last two places in Canada and my current residence in Geneva all have/had Ikea kitchens and they are very durable and quite stylish.

Thanks, I might have to check them out. Mine needs to be re-done soon.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

Opening a store selling crap made in a China at any price is a risky business rightnow.

I actively seek products that are not made in China for various reasons. I had the windshield in my car replaced but ICBC would only pay for the cheapest one available, in this case it was Chinese made. The fit wasn't quite right, the glass was rippled (trees in the distance did the fun-house mirror warping thing) and other features of the glass didn't match the factory one. Two weeks later I had it swapped out for North American made OE glass and everything was fine.

It's just not worth it to put up with the headaches of Chinese made knockoffs. Half the time you end up spending 80% as much as the real thing and it lasts half as long or doesn't function as expected.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#31 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

[quote name='sebberry']. I had the windshield in my car replaced but ICBC would only pay for the cheapest one available, in this case it was Chinese made. The fit wasn't quite right, the glass was rippled (trees in the distance did the fun-house mirror warping thing) and other features of the glass didn't match the factory one. Two weeks later I had it swapped out for North American made OE glass and everything was fine.
quote]

Who picked up the tab for that?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Who picked up the tab for that?

I paid the $90 difference between the aftermarket and factory glass as well as part of the labor for the second replacement. I will say that Speedy glass was very resonable at making sure I was happy. Being in the service business myself I also knew that I had to be resonable and willing to pay for what I wanted. I am guessing that most people probably wouldn't look up the DOT number on their replacement glass, research where it was made and scrutinize the product for flaws - they just want it replaced with something that has no cracks. But I'm picky like that :P

#33 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

the thread is about NOOD, not ICBC. Time to get the topic back on track.

Feel free to start new threads in the appropriate forum.

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

the thread is about NOOD, not ICBC. Time to get the topic back on track.

Feel free to start new threads in the appropriate forum.

Sorry, but I felt it was appropriate since this thread was discussing cheaply made chinese knockoffs.

#35 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Sorry, but I felt it was appropriate since this thread was discussing cheaply made chinese knockoffs.

there is a dialogue connection between NOOD and chinese manufacturing of furniture, that is fine and appropriate to the topic. It got a bit off topic discussing Car Glass and ICBC.

My message was not intended as a slam, or to stop the discussion. We recognize thread topics, just like normal conversations, shift and move into new areas. Limits of discussion board technology!

Feel free to start new topics.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

I am not sure everything at NOOD is even made in China...

#37 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

I find it ironic that Gabriel Ross is criticizing NOOD for being unoriginal, while GR is selling a chair designed 53 years ago.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hard to believe, but this chair is 86 years old:

And this chair is at least 82 years old:

So in these two cases, the copyright has expired for the design, but not the name.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 saynomore

saynomore
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Everyone is right the furniture is poor quality, won't last long and is over priced for what it is. I seriously doubt Nood cares about the workers in the factories working conditions given the fact they don't care about their Canadian employees.

I worked here. This company is terrible to work for. The owner is an &^%* and treats his staff terribly.
The sofas and chairs have VOC's and smell like toxic glue.

Don't shop here!!

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

Everyone is right the furniture is poor quality, won't last long and is over priced for what it is. I seriously doubt Nood cares about the workers in the factories working conditions given the fact they don't care about their Canadian employees.

I worked here. This company is terrible to work for. The owner is an &^%* and treats his staff terribly.
The sofas and chairs have VOC's and smell like toxic glue.

Don't shop here!!

Sorry but what does that say about you? You didn't have a problem selling "junk" to customers until you stopped working there?!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users