Photo

CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#221 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 685 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

A lot of packaging is very wasteful it seems. Far more packaging seems used than necessary for a lot of goods. Thankfully Amazon stopped sticking my boxes of diapers inside of other boxes... usually.

it could also be in part that canada post frowns upon packaging that are not plain brown/white.. packaging with imagery on it and words and labels.. i remember years ago standing behind someone in line having their package denied because of what it was packaged in

#222 todd

todd
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

I’ve been watching for hours in the background montages of single stream recycling something about it: https://youtu.be/5YaTpL8nl7c

#223 LJ

LJ
  • 8,929 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

The solution seems to be to eventually eliminate the amount of non-biodegradable packaging and products that we use, which requires utilizing massive amounts of paper unless somebody comes up with some sort of rapidly compostable plastic-y product that breaks down into inert compounds in the environment. 

I guess we better cut down the trees before they get taken out by forest fires?

I had an earth and ocean sciences prof at UVic say this problem would persist until bacteria evolved to be able to eat plastic (this was circa 2006-ish). 

https://www.xyleco.com/

http://www.worldcent...les/bioplastics

They are already available....

Edited by LJ, 07 May 2019 - 07:17 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#224 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

it could also be in part that canada post frowns upon packaging that are not plain brown/white.. packaging with imagery on it and words and labels.. i remember years ago standing behind someone in line having their package denied because of what it was packaged in

I got a box from Amazon the other day with an ad for a pickup truck printed on it.

• todd likes this

#225 jonny

jonny
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

Unfortunately, the uptake by companies has been too slow. Most do not seem willing to use these willingly, so we will likely have to force them through legislation. 

#226 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,710 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

Most existing international standards require biodegradation of 60% within 180 days along with certain other criteria for the resin or product to be called compostable.

As per one of the links above, this is the reason why industry will likely never adopt this form of packaging. It self destructs, meaning the volume of repackaging or tampered goods concerns would be monumental when it can take 2-6 months just to receive a product from its point of shipment, let alone between the point of shipment and production.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users