Photo

CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#261 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

Sewage biosolids to be spread on land at Hartland Landfill: https://www.timescol...fill-1.24075334

#262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

Weren’t we supposed to generate revenues from the treatment plant?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#263 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:02 AM

Weren’t we supposed to generate revenues from the treatment plant?

You didn't read the small print. "Revenue" generation was only ever going to come from increased taxation.

#264 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:01 AM

I’m an expert on complex design systems. Even I can’t figure out recycling
Don Norman wrote the book on complex design systems. He’s as mystified by recycling as the rest of us.

https://www.fastcomp...urce=newsletter

BY DON NORMAN6 MINUTE READ

Recycling: The concept is pretty simple. Throw away stuff that can be melted down, chopped up, and made back into useful stuff. The problem is, I don’t understand how to do it.

Edited by VIResident, 26 February 2020 - 08:02 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#265 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

I’m an expert on complex design systems. Even I can’t figure out recycling
Don Norman wrote the book on complex design systems. He’s as mystified by recycling as the rest of us.
https://www.fastcomp...urce=newsletter

BY DON NORMAN6 MINUTE READ

Recycling: The concept is pretty simple. Throw away stuff that can be melted down, chopped up, and made back into useful stuff. The problem is, I don’t understand how to do it.

I don’t know I find it pretty simple https://www.crd.bc.c...rsn=ef306dca_20

And yes after repeated infractions I have said “you have a phd and you can’t file a bottle” or similar that stops the infractions.

#266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:50 AM

I had some business out in Saanich yesterday so I thought I’d take our month’s worth of empties to the Glanford return-it depot. Holy smokes was it ever busy; there was no way I’d be spending an hour just to return some bottles. So I offered my empties to some guy, who said thanks but no thanks, as did someone else, and not wanting to just leave them and potentially be called out for it I went on my way. Eventually I encountered a guy with a shopping cart downtown and offered them to him, but he also said thanks but no thanks as there’s nowhere for him to take them. Fair enough.

So back home I went with my empties.

But this got me thinking. If we can’t easily return the darned things, why are we still paying deposits? Just like free plastic bags have magically resurfaced everywhere, pop cans and beer cans shouldn’t be charged a deposit fee until we can return these items.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#267 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 07:14 AM

Hartland Road currently has a permanent hour+ wait for the garbage zone, and about the same for the recycling zone.

Only two vehicles allowed at a time in either area.

The two vehicle rule is ridiculous in terms of maintaining social distancing, as the public space at Hartland Road is a dozen+ acres in size, so the reasoning is unclear.

Combined with the Saanich Yard closing down entirely for yard waste, there's not much you can do with bottles, trash, or yard waste in the CRD right now.

Presumably all COVID-19 related, although it's difficult to see the connection in some of these closures/reduced services.

#268 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:08 AM

Does anyone  know if the COV public works yard is still open on Saturdays for yard waste? We have a lot.

#269 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:10 AM

And out in rural areas there are bans on burning yard waste right now so that’s just adding to the fray at collection points.

Know it all.

#270 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:15 AM

Does anyone  know if the COV public works yard is still open on Saturdays for yard waste? We have a lot.

Closed down completely until further notice.

#271 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

Eventually I encountered a guy with a shopping cart downtown and offered them to him, but he also said thanks but no thanks as there’s nowhere for him to take them. Fair enough.

I walked by the Glanford depot in the last week when it was closed. There were signs that said their other depots were either back open or would be shortly. 

Just looked at their website - yup, Glandford, Queens and Quadra now back open every day.

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

WHAT???

Crazy. I guess not even the street community knows that, or this guy didn’t.

Know it all.

#273 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:47 PM

Closed down completely until further notice.

That's a bit silly. All the guys did was stand there and wave us through. We emptied our own stuff. They could just allow fewer cars to pull in at any one time. Guess we'll stack it on the boulevard! Everyone else is doing as they damn well please in the city.

Why is the city encouraging gardening, growing food, having trees if they're not willing to help us maintain it all? We already have a huge compost pile that, even if we dig it all out (hard after surgery) we've no place to put the stuff. Pfffft.

Edited by mbjj, 18 April 2020 - 01:49 PM.

#274 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:45 AM

I had some business out in Saanich yesterday so I thought I’d take our month’s worth of empties to the Glanford return-it depot. Holy smokes was it ever busy; there was no way I’d be spending an hour just to return some bottles. So I offered my empties to some guy, who said thanks but no thanks, as did someone else, and not wanting to just leave them and potentially be called out for it I went on my way. Eventually I encountered a guy with a shopping cart downtown and offered them to him, but he also said thanks but no thanks as there’s nowhere for him to take them. Fair enough.

But this got me thinking. If we can’t easily return the darned things, why are we still paying deposits? Just like free plastic bags have magically resurfaced everywhere, pop cans and beer cans shouldn’t be charged a deposit fee until we can return these items.

i think it depends on what time you go.. i have gone a few times to the glandford depot (my kid has discovered the value of returning bottles for extra cash) and some days are busier then others i can imagine weekends would be a bit hectic

#275 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:27 AM

Any place for styrofoam these days? We were taking it to London Drugs but I heard they have closed off their bins.

#276 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

you can always donate your cans/bottes, I know outside the Glanford Bottle Depot there is donation bin.

#277 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:01 AM

I'd think we still pay the deposit because if in 4 years you finally get around to returning the bottles, you'll get paid for them.  I suppose, weirdly, you could not pay deposit on them now and they could be permanently marked in some way to make it so you wouldn't be able to return them for money in the future, but in just a different thread you were arguing against adding additional layers of stupid bureaucracy ... so I'm not sure what would be gained from doing that.

#278 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

Just don’t charge the deposit. It’s as easy as the flick of a switch on an ol’ 486, to remove that layer of bureaucracy.

I’m sure enough cans and bottles end up in the garbage or on the bottom of the inner harbour that those returned that weren’t dinged a deposit at the point of purchase would just even out.

Speaking of which, who’s cashing in on all of these deposits? Like who takes in that cash? We know more is charged than ever gets refunded.

Know it all.

#279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:31 AM

Oak Bay is opening a second municipal drop-off depot, specifically for yard waste and garbage, after nearly two weeks of long lines for the Elgin Road transfer station.

https://www.vicnews....age-yard-waste/

Garden waste drop-off resumes at the Saanich Parks and Public Works Yard on April 25 with modified hours and new safety protocols.

On Saturday at 9 a.m., Saanich residents will once again be able to bring yard trimmings down to the Public Works Yard facility at McKenzie Avenue and Borden Street.

https://www.vicnews....lic-works-yard/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 April 2020 - 05:34 AM.

#280 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:17 AM

Here's the Saanich Yard hours:

Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday 5 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday 5 to 8 p.m.
Friday 5 to 8 p.m.

If you're thinking about going today might be the day. It's rainy and not many people know about the reopening yet. But Spring Saturdays are historically busy any year so next week it should be a gong show. They should have a webcam because I'd hate to drive all the way over there and see a huge lineup of cars snaking all the way down to McKenzie and everyone looking at me and my bush trimmings.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users