CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
664 replies to this topic

#341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:16 AM

ROGP or Rejects of Glass & Plastics Technology is an innovative approach that repurposes plastics, once labeled as non-recyclable materials due to technical complexity or economy-related issues.

Offering a solution that meets technical, environmental and economic requirements for sustainable use of all 80+ types of plastic waste, including mixed plastics, this particular ROGP technology recycles plastics (all 7 major plastic codes) and glass (all types of glass) into a “durable and price competitive new material which has numerous applications”, especially in the construction industry.  

Current global challenges with existing recycling technologies include the impossibility to process mixed plastics due to their chemical composition, the need to segregate the materials and establish different recycling lines, the high energy consumption as well as the cost. Moreover, for glass, considered infinitely recyclable, low recycling rates are due to sorting difficulties, transportation obstacles, and expensive processes. On that note, ROGP, operated by Development Inc., is one single technology that can at the same time, recycle all 80+ types of plastics and all types of glass, and generate a composite from the rejects of glass and plastic.

this is the best part:

Positive Environnemental Impact

• Infinitely recyclable
  • Energy-efficient process
  • Negligible micro-particle loss
  • Minimal air pollution and CO2 emission

Low Production Cost

• 40% cheaper than wooden boards
  • 50% cheaper than resin
  • 70% cheaper than granite

https://www.archdail...t&kth=4,842,475

#342 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

"Vietnam Confiscates Over 300,000 Recycled Condoms for Sale": https://www.nytimes....ed-condoms.html

#343 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:04 PM

"Vietnam Confiscates Over 300,000 Recycled Condoms for Sale": https://www.nytimes....ed-condoms.html

Let's face it.  Along with reusable dog poop bags, this is the sort of plastic waste reduction we need to prevent sea level rise.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#344 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

I'm not sure but I think if you wear a previously-used condom technically it's adultery. Possibly a little bit gay as well.

#345 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:54 PM

^ i’m opposed to the term “wear” when it comes to condoms.

it’s not a fashion accessory like a scarf or a hat.

#346 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:13 PM

^ i’m opposed to the term “wear” when it comes to condoms.

it’s not a fashion accessory like a scarf or a hat.

Didn't they used to have a condom shop in Market Square?

#347 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

rubber rainbow.

i stopped going because they had a chronic shortage of XXL models.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 September 2020 - 05:17 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#348 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

rubber rainbow.

The only thing anyone ever uses those for is to make balloon animals, so don't kid yourself. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#349 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

I’ve had a few past girlfriends that have considered my penis as animals for sure.

actually I’m going to self edit the rest of this post.
  • Matt R. likes this

#350 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

Now was that for the male version or were you purchasing the female condom?

#351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:26 PM

This is a contender for Top Thread Deviation Award, 2020.
  • sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#352 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:53 PM

I’ve had a few past girlfriends that have considered my penis as animals for sure.

actually I’m going to self edit the rest of this post.

did the zookeeper get you out?

#353 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

Recycling was a lie — a big lie — to sell more plastic, industry experts say

https://www.cbc.ca/d...s-say-1.5735618

how's that for a conspiracy eh?

#354 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, this is well known issue – all we do is take our garbage, send it to another country with less stringent guidelines and it gets buried burnt or piled up somewhere.

I wonder if there's a connection between delivering recycle to other countries and the formation of the plastic in the middle of the ocean.

#355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

Interesting that it took 30-years for this to be admitted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#356 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:46 PM

I was optimistic that because we are a small port city our recycling might have a better chance of avoiding the landfill. Is there any way to find out the fate of our blue box materials? Or is that data top secret?

#357 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

I was optimistic that because we are a small port city our recycling might have a better chance of avoiding the landfill. Is there any way to find out the fate of our blue box materials? Or is that data top secret?

Not top secret. Info is buried in the 2019 stewardship plan for RecycleBC, the agency that collects fees from the producers and importers of paper, plastics and other packaging, to fund blue-box programs. Only about 50% of rigid plastic and 20% of flexible plastic was recovered/recycled in 2017, according to the chart below, from page 25 of the plan at https://recyclebc.ca..._16July2019.pdf

In 1994, BC introduced its first Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) program, under which producers and consumers paid extra eco-fees for the collection and safe disposal of leftover paint. Today BC has 22 such programs, for everything from appliances to tires. (In comparison, 16 US states have no EPR programs at all.) The EPR for paper and packaging is overseen by the non-profit agency RecycleBC, which collects per-weight fees from the 1,100 BC companies producing or importing such materials. RecycleBC then pays municipalities, regions, or waste companies to collect the scrap, sorters like Cascades bale it, and RecycleBC sells the scrap to processors. RecycleBC’s 2017 annual report says BC companies generated 234,847 tonnes of paper and packaging and paid $86 million in fees; those fees were then paid to recycling programs (like the CRD’s) that collected 174,942 tonnes, for an overall “recovery rate” of 75 percent.

RecycleBC says the glass in your blue box gets melted into new jars and bottles in Abbotsford, or turned into sandblasting grit in Quesnel. Metal containers are sold to various North American processors and turned into road signs and window frames. Mixed paper becomes boxes and egg cartons in South Korea. But all of our blue-boxed plastic goes to one company, Merlin Plastics, and its two 180,000-square-foot recycling facilities, in Delta and New Westminster.

Source: https://www.focusonv...astic-tide-r15/

Attached Images

• recoveryrate.jpeg

• Rob Randall likes this

#358 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:41 AM

So one year after that FOCUS article--are we doing better? Are we closer to our targets? Or has the collapse of the China recycling industry dashed those hopes?

I'm especially interested in the #3 to #6 plastics and their local fate.

#359 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

Recycle BC's 2019 annual report says the province's "recovery rate" is now 56% for rigid plastic and 22% for flexible plastic: https://recyclebc.ca...C2019-Final.pdf

Most of that gets recycled, although some gets turned back into engineered fuel. Very little of BC's plastic ever got shipped to China, thanks to Merlin Plastics in New Westminster. Merlin is undergoing a big expansion with money from Nova Chemicals ... the Alberta company that produces a lot of Western Canada's plastic in the first place: https://www.timescol...-b-c-1.24209575

My understanding is that #1, 2, and 5 are economically recyclable and have practical uses. #3, 4 (shopping bags) 6 and 7 aren't and don't ... so it's better not to produce those at all.

• Rob Randall likes this

#360 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

I was under the impression the lower the number, the better recycling material it is, #1 recycles easily, #7 is terrible, throw it away.

But apparently #3 is PVC and is not recyclable? Why are we contaminating our blue boxes with it? What a dumb system.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)