Photo

CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#381 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

It's the most sensible things since sliced bread. My mum's bin is 95% empty when the CoV picks it up. When will they change their rules to accept garden waste?

Or allow yard waste burning.

95%? might want to do an audit should be able to get that down another 5% or so. Paper towels?

Edited by todd, 17 January 2021 - 12:46 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#382 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

It's the most sensible things since sliced bread. My mum's bin is 95% empty when the CoV picks it up. When will they change their rules to accept garden waste?

Why no yard waste? I thought you normally wanted lots of grass clippings and leaves in your compost?

Matt.

#383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, that’s a good question. Saanich seems ok with it. Victoria won’t allow yard waste.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#384 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, that’s a good question. Saanich seems ok with it. Victoria won’t allow yard waste.

It depends on the contractor doing the pickup. For example Oak Bay recently switched contractors and now allows yard waste in the green bin, which it previously did not.

#385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

The CoV does the pick-up, but I don’t know where they dump the refuse. Doesn’t it all go to the same place?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#386 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

I think they barge it out 50 miles and dump it.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#387 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:21 PM

The CoV does the pick-up, but I don’t know where they dump the refuse. Doesn’t it all go to the same place?

Nope. GFL has a facility in Langford, Saanich sends theirs to Cobble Hill, and some of it even goes to the mainland.
  • todd likes this

#388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:43 AM

Hmmm.

GFL, of course, is former Langford Mayor Stew Young’s Alpine Disposal.

Know it all.

#389 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:05 AM

well his company was bought by GFL. GFL operates across Canada with 10,000+ employees.

#390 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:27 AM

former Langford Mayor 

There's three words that have never been strung together in that order.

• sebberry likes this

#391 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:51 AM

try: was formerly Langford Mayor Stew Young’s Alpine Disposal. instead to avoid confusion  :1954_dancing: 

not accepting yard waste makes little sense to me. 

• Mike K. likes this

#392 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:07 AM

https://vimeo.com/267481789

#393 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

Oo thanks for the info about Trutch St. I wonder what happened to the previous owner? They kept it so nice.

Today while I was walking by, one of the campers was out on the street and the company that rents out those yellow storage units was there with his big truck and crane, I guess to take it away. Some scruffy fellow came out from the house. 

I think the poor lady who was part of the group home set-up is still there. Yikes. 

Interesting about the play. We arrived in the next decade. 

Edited by mbjj, 19 January 2021 - 04:21 PM.

#394 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

I wish we could put yard waste in our city bin. We have to visit the public works yard several times a year with stuff crammed into a small car. and we have a huge wooden compost bin that is overflowing. When gardening is one of your main hobbies, you produce a lot of stuff. 

#395 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:26 AM

Victoria city council is considering changes to the green bin program that would divert yard waste from the landfill and require residents to bring their bins to the curb for pickup.

The city has set a goal of cutting the waste going to landfill in half by 2040, and accepting yard waste with organics was recognized as an area where the city can make an immediate impact, said Rory Tooke, manager of sustainability, assets and support services.

https://www.timescol...aste-1.24291859

#396 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:20 AM

It's weird how different the municipalities are in terms of that. When I read the quote I was confused since that's exactly how it currently works in Saanich (as the article says) and reading through it seems almost everyone has different ways of dealing with yard waste. 

#397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to land of many fiefdoms - no two exactly alike.

• sebberry likes this

#398 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:38 AM

somehow I feel you should be on your own to deal with your yard waste. and you can probably deal with it on your property.

matter can neither be created or destroyed.

so yard waste you accumulate on your property comes from dirt water and sunlight. all of which you should be able to dispose of on your property.

is it right for me - with no vegetation - to scoop up 16 shovel fulls of dirt each week and throw it in the green bin? until I have excavated enough for a new basement (in 32 years)? because your yard waste was dirt (and sun and water).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 March 2021 - 07:39 AM.

#399 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:50 AM

One of the few nice aspects of condo living is very big bins to throw all the trash away.  

I'd say house owners are probably actually more aware of what they recycle/toss in the garbage with their tiny bins.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:02 AM

house owners will also "compact" trash if needed.  you won't get up on your green dumpster bin and stomp it down.  yet that dumpster can likely take 5x the volume in it now if it was compacted a bit in situ.

disposal companies like the big bins though.  they can make more visits and charge more.  but of course they compact it as soon as they leave.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 March 2021 - 09:05 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users