Photo

CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#481 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 05:13 PM

Not sure if that is the case. Don’t know why they would produce material like this for retailers to use if they couldn’t accept milk containers.

https://www.return-i...909&AD=173,Dlf1

#482 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,339 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 05:33 PM

From the Return It site:

While retailers will accept a limited quantity of milk and plant-based beverage containers, the best option is for consumers to return these containers by visiting our over 170 Return-It sites province-wide for their deposit. Only clean containers will be accepted for returns, so consumers are encouraged to rinse out containers before returning them.

We also recommend consumers confirm with their local retail location regarding the types and allowable number of containers they have the capacity to accept.

#483 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,339 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:10 PM

Biofuels from household waste could soon be produced in Sooke with a new multi-million-dollar facility proposed by a Calgary-based energy company.

VDQ-NRG introduced its $55-million proposal to Sooke council on Monday.

Although the company doesn’t have a plant in operation yet, it is looking at 15 properties worldwide to begin production, said James Kernaghan, vice-president of strategy for VDQ-NRG.

Council members appeared enthusiastic about the project.

“This seems like a very science-fiction magic bullet,” said Coun. Jeff Bateman.

VDQ-NRG has approached local property owners about the acquisition of land.

Company officials plan to visit Sooke in March to begin negotiations with the district. The project will still need to go through a formal application and regulatory process.

Kernaghan said construction could begin this year.

https://www.saanichn...iofuels-plant/#

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 03:14 PM.

#484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,339 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:16 PM

Headline: Sooke plans to burn all their garbage locally

Councillors: love it! Magic!

Meanwhile the company proposing it has never built or run a project. What could go wrong?

Somebody check if the husband and wife running this company previously sold cities on monorails.

https://www.vdqnrg.ca/about-us/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 January 2022 - 03:18 PM.

#485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

Kernaghan said construction could begin this year.

Just carry over some of that industrial fire from Esquimalt and you're good to go.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#486 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:41 PM

Headline: Sooke plans to burn all their garbage locally

I'm pretty sure you know there is no "burning" involved.

#487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,339 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you know there is no "burning" involved.

I do.  But I also know the technology they tout is not feasible for municipal/residential waste and does not exist elsewhere in that capacity.

#488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:39 PM

Wasn’t our new sewage system supposed to create energy or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#489 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 06:31 AM

Wasn’t our new sewage system supposed to create energy or something?

Yes back in the Seaterra days they touted the manufacture and sale of methane. The sewage treatment saga has seen a number of “sales gimmicks” come and go. To this day the CRD has not accomplished what they said they would. I think they may still be spreading the biosolids on the ground and lighting a match to the methane.

https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=26ff61ca_2
  • Mike K. and Teardrop like this

#490 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 06:46 AM

This project has been about "spreading the biosolids" since the day it was proposed.

• Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

#491 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 07:06 AM

“10-cent recycling deposit added for milk and plant-based beverage containers”: https://www.oakbayne...age-containers/

#492 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 12:33 PM

Don’t forget the recycling fee as well. :)
  • todd likes this

#493 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 12:50 PM

Don’t forget the recycling fee as well. :)

You mean tax.

• Matt R. likes this

#494 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 01:08 PM

Yes, I do.
  • Nparker likes this

#495 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 11:03 PM

I think I have had enough and I am just going to go back to tossing everything into the garbage. Charging families extra for milk just seems wrong especially since most people were already putting the jugs into recycling.  

• Nparker, phx and Love the rock like this

#496 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 09:07 AM

I think I have had enough and I am just going to go back to tossing everything into the garbage. Charging families extra for milk just seems wrong especially since most people were already putting the jugs into recycling.  

I assume you are being facetious but recyclable items are banned from the trash stream at the landfill.

Contributing to the waste problem just because you don't want to take the extra second to properly sort your refuse sure says a lot about you.

Same for those that have clicked "like" on this post.

#497 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,339 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:20 AM

They are not turning around municipal garbage trucks at the dump because they have some bottles or clean paper aboard.

#498 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:44 AM

They are not turning around municipal garbage trucks at the dump because they have some bottles or clean paper aboard.

Of course not but as usual it takes some personal responsibility.

#499 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,339 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:46 AM

I burn most of my glass anyway.
  • Matt R. likes this

#500 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 12:06 PM

I assume you are being facetious but recyclable items are banned from the trash stream at the landfill.

Contributing to the waste problem just because you don't want to take the extra second to properly sort your refuse sure says a lot about you.

Same for those that have clicked "like" on this post.

I liked this post . I recycle almost everything. I take bottles back to the bottle depot actually several people know this and save bottles for me they would usually put in the blue box .What I agree with in the post it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that we are charging parents a recycling fee plus handling fee on milk . Then we turn around and say children are coming  to school hungry /without  breakfast .It’s milk for crying out loud . I have no issues with a tax on or recycling fee on other things non essential things .My grocery store only takes bottles if they are put in a clear plastic bag . 
I am not about to buy plastic bags to put bottles in to take back to the store . Charging a recycling fee plus a handing fee on milk ,milk type products in my mind is plain wrong . 

• Nparker, Matt R. and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users