• 12,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:34 PM

^ equal
  • Matt R. likes this

#522 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:46 PM

No such charge on skim milk powder.  If they're living in poverty, why would they be blowing a fortune on liquid milk anyway?

jbw

jbw are you seriously asking me why adults who have children buy liquid milk ? 

• Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#523 kirk

kirk
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:32 PM

Dropping glass off at a depot is still an option for anyone in those condos. Same process any single family dwelling resident would do for styrofoam, soft plastic, etc.

Late response to this but did you mean the bottle depot?  You can indeed bring beer bottles & refundables to the bottle depot, but they do not accept pasta jars etc which they refer to as "junk glass".

Bottle depots also no longer accept soft plastics. Only places that do are London Drugs (free) or http://pmdrecycling.com (for a fee, at their mobile depots) 

Anyone know any other places where one can bring non-refundable glass or soft plastics that I am missing? 

#524 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:22 PM

The dairy board has partnered with the restaurant assoc. to “support” and promote restaurants during this challenging time etc etc with some proceeds going to a no doing worthy cause. I’d rather they had supported restaurants by not jacking prices another 10%.

How’s that for garbage in the CRD.

Dancing banana, and all that.

On top of this garbage, the 1l cream and whipping cream and buttermilk now come with the addition of a plastic spout, further enraging me.
  • sebberry likes this

#525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:42 PM

...the 1l cream and whipping cream and buttermilk now come with the addition of a plastic spout, further enraging me.

Not to sound like Jerry Seinfeld, but what's the deal with these plastic spouts all of a sudden? Have people forgotten how to pour liquids out of traditional milk cartons?

• sebberry, North Shore and Matt R. like this

#526 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:43 PM

I dunno man but after a while you get pretty good at opening them with one hand while working, now you gotta stop, twist the top, pull the ring and then get the work done. I’m sure they are saving a quarter penny per container somehow. Dicks.
  • sebberry and todd like this

#527 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:46 PM

Not to sound like Jerry Seinfeld, but what's the deal with these plastic spouts all of a sudden? Have people forgotten how to pour liquids out of traditional milk cartons?

I think it's just as production lines upgrade equipment and they CAN add the spout, they do.

I've always liked it on my Tropicana cartons.

0*p5RJf92uugo-MeJi.jpeg

I think some consumers likely feel that these keep milk longer/fresher/less cross-contaminated by other fridge contents, even if that's not necessarily true.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2022 - 11:50 PM.

#528 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,000 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:59 PM

HERE is how your milk carton is made:

https://youtu.be/jNbKIc8tD5I

• Matt R. and todd like this

#529 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:11 AM

Separate the ligma.
  • todd likes this

#530 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:27 AM

Late response to this but did you mean the bottle depot?  You can indeed bring beer bottles & refundables to the bottle depot, but they do not accept pasta jars etc which they refer to as "junk glass".

Bottle depots also no longer accept soft plastics. Only places that do are London Drugs (free) or http://pmdrecycling.com (for a fee, at their mobile depots) 

Anyone know any other places where one can bring non-refundable glass or soft plastics that I am missing? 

In addition to London Drugs, Hartland Landfill, the recycling depots in Sidney & Esquimalt & Oak Bay public works (for Oak Bay residents) accept glass jars & soft plastics for recycling.

I think it's just as production lines upgrade equipment and they CAN add the spout, they do.

I've always liked it on my Tropicana cartons.

Tropicana juice now comes in single use plastic.

• Matt R. likes this

#531 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:52 AM

Question: does anyone know if they'll accept milk cartons if they've been flattened?  I ask as with the amount of milk we go through, storing the cartons unflattened until there's enough to justify a trip out to the return-it is going to be a nuisance.

#532 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 04:12 AM

remember bagged milk
  • Matt R. likes this

#533 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:01 AM

remember bagged milk

I'm so old I remember when the dairy man would pull up to our stoop in his horse-drawn cart and replace our 3 empty, glass milk bottles with 3 full ones*. 

*this may have only happened in an old movie I watched once

• todd likes this

#534 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:08 AM

^Always nice when Dad would come to visit.

I think at least one brand is still offering glass containers but with a plastic top opposed to the paper/foil top in the old days.

Father was actually a milkman in LA for a time he claim to have witnessed multiple flashes from atomic blasts early in the morning

Edited by todd, 17 February 2022 - 08:20 AM.

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#535 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:17 AM

I think at least one brand is still offering glass containers but with a plastic top opposed to the paper/foil top in the old days.

That's Avalon. I was getting it until I realized they're now owned by the Chinese state. No thanks.

• Matt R. likes this

#536 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:21 AM

Similar story, know somebody their babysitter(sister-in-law) wetnursed their child without asking(thinking that’s what they wanted), they were very extremely upset. You need to specify apparently

Think I told that story before

Edited by todd, 17 February 2022 - 11:42 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#537 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:59 PM

That's Avalon. I was getting it until I realized they're now owned by the Chinese state. No thanks.

Really?

• todd likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#538 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:08 PM

Really?

Yes, it was sold to Sanyuan in 2016. Decisions — July 2016 - Investment Canada Act (ic.gc.ca)

Sanyuan Group (Chinese三元集团pinyinSānyuán Jítuán) is a state-owned group of companies based on agriculture and animal husbandry in China. It consists of 12 state farms, 20 professional companies, 41 transnational joint ventures, 3 overseas subsidiaries and 1 public company as Beijing Sanyuan Foods, which is listed in Shanghai Stock Exchange.

Sanyuan Group - Wikipedia

• LJ and Matt R. like this

#539 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:13 PM

Who the hell approved this?

#540 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 09:51 AM

Stopped eating White Rabbits few years back:

“In addition to White Rabbit candies, the agency has already singled out Mr. Brown 3-in-1 Instant Coffee and Nissin Cha Cha desserts for possibly being been made with tainted milk products”: https://www.cbc.ca/n...ncerns-1.703736

https://youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0

Edited by todd, 18 February 2022 - 09:57 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users