CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#541 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 10:05 AM

Who the hell approved this?

I don't think any level of government can approve a transaction based on whether they like the investor or not.

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:10 PM

Sure they can. The federal government via Industry Canada has to sign off on allowing a foreign firm to take control of a Canadian firm. The deal has to be cleared as not counterproductive to the nation. At least in theory.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:58 PM

On top of this garbage, the 1l cream and whipping cream and buttermilk now come with the addition of a plastic spout, further enraging me.

How did this pass Lisa Helps and TV?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 01:01 PM

I’ll blame truckers for this one.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#545 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 05:11 PM

Sure they can. The federal government via Industry Canada has to sign off on allowing a foreign firm to take control of a Canadian firm. The deal has to be cleared as not counterproductive to the nation. At least in theory.

I think that's the case when it comes to things like National Security, but it's hard to say how that would be the case for ownership of a regional dairy. Why should government dictate who the former owner could take bids from?

Anyway, I personally don't want to support that owner so I no longer purchase my milk from there. But I wouldn't advocate for more government meddling in what private companies can or can't do and I'm surprised that you are. Sure, if there are competition or security concerns. But not just because someone doesn't agree with the potential owner's ideology. That's a slippery slope, wouldn't you agree?

#546 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 05:17 PM

It looks as though a federal decision was made on the purchase.

https://www.ic.gc.ca...g/lk-31607.html

#547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 07:00 PM

I think that's the case when it comes to things like National Security, but it's hard to say how that would be the case for ownership of a regional dairy. Why should government dictate who the former owner could take bids from?
Anyway, I personally don't want to support that owner so I no longer purchase my milk from there. But I wouldn't advocate for more government meddling in what private companies can or can't do and I'm surprised that you are. Sure, if there are competition or security concerns. But not just because someone doesn't agree with the potential owner's ideology. That's a slippery slope, wouldn't you agree?

It’s food supply, though. Of course I support government oversight.

Know it all.

#548 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 07:24 PM

It looks as though a federal decision was made on the purchase.

https://www.ic.gc.ca...g/lk-31607.html

Yes, I posted that link earlier. But Investment Canada just looks to ensure there are no national security issues.

The purposes of the Investment Canada Act (the Act) are "to provide for the review of significant investments in Canada by non-Canadians in a manner that encourages investment, economic growth and employment opportunities in Canada and to provide for the review of investments in Canada by non-Canadians that could be injurious to national security."

Home - Investment Canada Act (ic.gc.ca)

It’s food supply, though. Of course I support government oversight.

I don't think you could argue that 1% or whatever they have of the national dairy market is significant enough for there to be an issue.

Different story if they were looking to purchase Saputo, Agropur or Parmalat/Lactalis. But even then, Lactalis is already foreign-owned.

#549 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 01:40 AM

Okanagan man crushed in recycling truck succumbs to injuries

The 52-year-old had been sleeping in a recycling dumpster when it was picked up by the truck

https://www.vicnews....bs-to-injuries/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2022 - 01:40 AM.

#550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:39 PM

Garbage filling Hartland faster than expected

Greater Victoria per capita waste generation is going up

The chair of the CRD’s environmental services committee is sounding alarm bells over the amount of waste being sent to Hartland Landfill.

Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins told the committee Wednesday that the waste volume going to the region’s landfill site has increased dramatically in the last two years.

The most recent data show waste being dumped this year is on track to measure 188,300 tonnes, a 13 per cent increase from 2021, Desjardins said.

“We’re very concerned with the trend. If the public isn’t aware of the trend, they should be because it will absolutely push us to have to expand Hartland Landfill and perhaps sooner than we thought,” she said in an interview.

Per-capita waste generation in the region this year is trending toward 430 kilograms, Desjardins said. That would dwarf last year’s 400-kg-per-person total and is nowhere near the ultimate goal of 125 kg per person and the interim goal of 250 kg per person by 2031.

https://www.timescol...xpected-5484691

So what are people throwing away?   I throw away lots of packaging (that might be recyclable) and some contaminated paper products (like pizza boxes and paper towels) but not much else really.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 June 2022 - 01:43 PM.

#551 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:45 PM

So what are people throwing away?   I throw away lots of packaging (that might be recyclable) and some contaminated paper products (like pizza boxes and paper towels) but not much else really.

Yes there is a lot of recycling going in still..  Pizza boxes can go into recycling... 

#552 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 05:50 PM

The best solution is to build an incinerator. Proven technology, low environmental impact, energy recovery, unlimited capacity, etc.

• Nparker likes this

#553 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 05:55 PM

In the small town in which I was born and lived until age 11, the local incinerator was used as an energy source for the nearby rec centre - and this was during 1970s.

• LocalMom and todd like this

#554 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:23 PM

Yes - the hospital where I grew up used an incinerator for their garbage and it powered the hospital! I believe it still does this.

I used to imagine the grossest things being incinerated /love medical gore ;)
  • Nparker likes this

#555 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,875 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 10:09 PM

Vancouver still does this in a major way, no?

#556 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 10:56 AM

Per-capita waste generation in the region this year is trending toward 430 kilograms, Desjardins said. That would dwarf last year’s 400-kg-per-person total and is nowhere near the ultimate goal of 125 kg per person and the interim goal of 250 kg per person by 2031.

I guess they're not familiar with the concept of setting realistic goals? Hey, I'm currently running the 10K in 43 minutes but my goal is to get that down to 12 minutes 30 seconds. I'm currently benching 125 lbs but my goal is to get that up to 430 lbs. Can you imagine setting density targets like that? Saanich currently has a population of 125,000 but the goal is to get it up to 430,000?

How can a reasonable person take any of it seriously? Once again they're backhandedly admitting that decades of programs and initiatives (in this case to reduce waste) have failed miserably. So, of course, the solution is more programs and initiatives. If you pile a sufficiently large number of failures on top of one another for a sufficiently long time then you'll eventually achieve success, right? (Every government program assumes this to be the case. There's never any need to evaluate strategy, to revisit assumptions, to reflect, or (gasp) to change course.)

And, as always, blame should never lie with the big players (governments, military, schools and universities, industry, multi-national retailers and fast food chains, etc.). No, the finger needs to be pointed at Joe Average. But wait a second... don't they also claim that Joe Average is financially strapped, barely able to meet basic needs like housing and food? No more SFDs, right? Small apartments and townhouses for everyone, right? And yet he's throwing out huge amounts of garbage at the same time? Every day in the news you see these contradictions between supposed crises.

“It’s got to go back to education — people have to start really looking at their garbage — there’s so much waste going on,” she said.

Edited by aastra, 17 June 2022 - 11:44 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:37 AM

Where does commercially collected waste end up? Does all of it go to Hartland? 

Now keep in mind, that 1% of the gross total is from cruise ships. So even without cruise ships waste per-capita went up 10%, the population grew by 1.5%, so I have to assume that more garbage was picked up by municipal residential collectors (all of it destined for Hartland) from people now working from home 100% of the time or partially, kids not going to school, etc.

Know it all.

#558 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:41 AM

It's cool as long as nobody blames Amazon for anything.

#559 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:42 AM

There it is. The Great Reset also made more garbage.

Soon California will start using fossil fuels to generate additional electricity to power electric vehicles.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#560 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:47 PM

It was all the kids collecting CERB buying **** they didn't need, then throwing it out.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users