• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#81 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

Shouldn't it be going into the compost instead of the landfill?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#82 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:42 PM

i have seen the bread end up at local schools, community centers for anyone to pick up a loaf (i think fernwood community center gets it every other thursday) i've heard it being at burnside community center, vic west community center.. and all their locations do this

#83 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

One of my earlier careers was as a baker. I kept 500 loaves a day from going to the landfill....simply by not baking 500 extra loaves! Don't get me wrong, I think what Cobs does is great with their "end of day giving" program but it just seems an odd sign. If you bake tons extra, for an altruistic motive (which is what they really seem to be doing)...then that should be your claim...not that you are somehow eco-friendly.

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

It's a tax write-off, isn't it? Product that must be discarded, however it's discarded, is considered a "loss" I thought.

• Midnightly likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

It's a tax write-off, isn't it? Product that must be discarded, however it's discarded, is considered a "loss" I thought.

that was my thoughts also, it's a tax write off, it also creates community support and giving also good word of mouth so in a way it's win win for them..

#86 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

One of my earlier careers was as a baker. I kept 500 loaves a day from going to the landfill....simply by not baking 500 extra loaves!

Is it possible they were simplifying the text and it is "the equivalent of..."? I assume they throw away more than just bread every day. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#87 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

Shouldn't it be going into the compost instead of the landfill?

Look at how creative you can be using the wood left over from pine beetle activity.

Can't they make furniture or mattresses from month old bread?

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

As of January 1, 2018, China will no longer import much of the plastic and paper we have been shipping there for decades.

In what many are calling a "waste crisis," Canadian municipalities are already finding they have no place for their mounting trash to go — but into the landfill.

http://www.cbc.ca/ra...n-end-1.4462101

What??? Not into the landfill as we need the space for our sewage sludge.

#89 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

HAve you ever been up to Hartland, and taken the tour of the Dump, Bingo?  It's fascinating - and a little frightening.  There's not that much space left there - another 30? years.  Probably not my problem, but my kids are going to have a tough go deciding where to put their garbage...

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#90 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Have you ever been up to Hartland, and taken the tour of the Dump, Bingo?  It's fascinating - and a little frightening.  There's not that much space left there - another 30? years.

Probably not my problem, but my kids are going to have a tough go deciding where to put their garbage...

Went to the dump in 2014. A nice place for a picnic. Here are a few pics.

Hartland 5.JPG

Hartland 1.JPG

Hartland landfill.JPG

• todd likes this

#91 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

Why can't they just blast more of the mountain down?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

HAve you ever been up to Hartland, and taken the tour of the Dump, Bingo?  It's fascinating - and a little frightening.  There's not that much space left there - another 30? years.  Probably not my problem, but my kids are going to have a tough go deciding where to put their garbage...

We are not really running out of space.  Check a map.  

Oh ya, there was a VV private dump tour back in 2014!

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:50 AM

We are not really running out of space.  Check a map.  

I dunno, VHF - I was just quoting what they told me 2 months ago.

Edited by North Shore, 29 December 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

I dunno, VHF - I was just quoting what they told me 2 months ago.

The space they are currently allocated.  We have hundreds of thousands of acres for more dumps in this province.  It's political.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#95 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

^no one wants to have a new garbage dump started near their house.  I know I don't

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

They don’t smell, they are out of sight. They provide jobs and lead to innovations. I don’t know if they’re necessarily that detrimental to a community. I mean we’re sticking asewage treatment plant into Esquimalt. The only thing I can see impacting a community is truck traffic, but if you dont like trucks don’t live along a road. ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Yep. I always find it odd when I see news articles and politicians saying we are running out of landfill space. Like, really? Start a couple new ones, it ain’t hard!

#98 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

IIRC, back in the early 90s, Vancouver was looking for a new landfill site.  One possible site was an old ?iron? open-pit mine up by Port Hardy.  Some objection or another was raised, and Vancity ended up going with Cache Creek - which is now getting full.  Again, IIRC, the open pit was going to be good for 50 or more years, but instead, they ended up filling it with water.

I suppose limited landfill space is a good thing, as it forced us to become a little more mindful of what we throw out, or not, and it has created a thriving recycling industry.  OTOH, much of that recycling was sent offshore to C.H.I.N.A. - bringing us back to Bingo's post...

Edited by North Shore, 29 December 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

^no one wants to have a new garbage dump started near their house.  I know I don't

Dig deeper then.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Yep. I always find it odd when I see news articles and politicians saying we are running out of landfill space. Like, really? Start a couple new ones, it ain’t hard!

Shawnigan Lake has dump space available, no?   :rtfm:

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 December 2017 - 02:27 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users