Photo

CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#121 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

I wonder why they don't want it any more because its not like China isn't making products for the world market any longer

Apparently something to do with much of the foreign waste being poor quality and leading to environmental consequences in China because much of the material is contaminated. Something to do with some program called "Operation Green Fence" and reducing industrial pollution in China. 

#122 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Time to cue up India. Or Bangladesh.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Time to cue up India. Or Bangladesh.

What happens when we run out of poor nations to take our crap

#124 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

What happens when we run out of poor nations to take our crap

Well by the time Trudeau and Horgan, Notley etc. get through, we will be one of those poor nations and we can start importing their crap.

• VicHockeyFan and tjv like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#125 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

I know someone who was at Hartland getting rid of some plastic and they told him to go to another part of the dump because it no longer get recycled and is just landfilled.

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

I know someone who was at Hartland getting rid of some plastic and they told him to go to another part of the dump because it no longer gets recycled and is just landfilled.

It's comforting to know the plastics I meticulously rinse and sort pose little risk of soil contamination when they get buried.  :wacko:

• rjag likes this

#127 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:23 PM

I know someone who was at Hartland getting rid of some plastic and they told him to go to another part of the dump because it no longer get recycled and is just landfilled.

What type of plastic are we talkin? Soft plastic?

#128 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:13 AM

certain types of plastics aren't recyclable like plastic PVC or ABS pipe.  Even window glass is garbage while food container glass is recycled

#129 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

I was told all plastic was being diverted but I would like someone else to confirm this directly.

#130 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:43 AM

certain types of plastics aren't recyclable like plastic PVC or ABS pipe.  Even window glass is garbage while food container glass is recycled

Glass isn't much of an issue. It may take a million years to break down, but it's inert otherwise. Even the process of making it is becoming less polluting as furnaces switch to pure electric.

#131 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

I was told all plastic was being diverted but I would like someone else to confirm this directly.

I think all plastic can be recycled, but certain plastics like styrofoam aren't accepted in your blue bin.  It is however accepted at places like the Bottle Depot

Now do you think people are going to make a special trip to get rid of that styrofoam tray your steak or ground beef came in?

#132 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

I take styrofoam and soft plastics back because the Bottle Depot is not out of our way. It's amazing how much accumulates after two weeks. Now what happens to it after the Bottle Depot gets it, who knows.

There used to be a place around Keating that accepted any form of plastic for use in recycled products but the place is gone now, I think they were consolidated back to the mainland or something. But you could take stuff like that plastic lawn chair with one broken leg.

Increasingly, I feel recycling is a way to erase the guilt about the obscene amount of plastic we consume.

#133 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Pretty much anything can technically be recycled. The economics or recycling, on the other hand, are much more complicated.

Since China stopped accepting our low value recyclables, I suspect a lot of this stuff is ending up in the dump. 

Glass is notoriously difficult to recycle. There are massive piles of "recycled" crushed glass across North America that they haven't figured out what to do with yet. At one point, they were trying to use it as an aggregate in road asphalt. 

My father in law said he saw an article that our compost was ending up in the landfill. Can anybody confirm that? 

• Nparker likes this

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

“Recycled” plastic is the leading cause of plastic in our oceans, according to a study just published by researchers in Finland: https://www.thegwpf....-the-oceans.pdf

The just released report also says recycling efforts often lead to the burning of plastic or outright dumping.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#135 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

My  husband and I are not huge "consumers". We don't buy much unless we need it, but does every darn thing have to be packaged in plastic? You can't even buy a pencil these days without it coming in a cellophane bag. Until manufacturers change their ways, plastic is unavoidable for the average person, no matter how hard they try. I'm not willing to give up toilet paper, lol. When I was a kid, it came enclosed in paper.

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

...Until manufacturers change their ways, plastic is unavoidable for the average person, no matter how hard they try...

Exactly. The consumer really doesn't have a lot of choice.

#137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,337 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

In a timely move, the CRD hired a consultant to open random non-organic trash bags in 2016 (when Hartland’s numbers were at all-time lows) to inspect the composition of the garbage bags.

Twenty-one per cent was still made of organic material which could have been diverted. It’s a staggering number and a basic estimation is Hartland’s current trash total is likely not far off, meaning one fifth could be diverted from the Hartland dump and turned back into earth. Seventeen per cent was wood.

“Wood waste is an indicator of economic activity, buildings taken down, renovations, etc.,” Smith said.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/saanich/

at some point i wonder if it makes sense to sort garbage.  surely "wood" can be put to use at the site milled into something* or chipped as some type of feedstock.  and if there is so much organics divert that to existing composting.  here's a good job for the homeless or for some type of casual labour pool 

or maybe ai and robotics can sort it

*with ai you should just be able to throw all the wood pieces into a hopper and at the other end comes out your new set of dresser drawers or ikea end table or laminated beam.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 September 2018 - 02:10 PM.

#138 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

at some point i wonder if it makes sense to sort garbage.  surely "wood" can be put to use at the site milled into something* or chipped as some type of feedstock.  and if there is so much organics divert that to existing composting.  here's a good job for the homeless or for some type of casual labour pool 

or maybe ai and robotics can sort it

*with ai you should just be able to throw all the wood pieces into a hopper and at the other end comes out your new set of dresser drawers or ikea end table or laminated beam.

And why don't we have a bin for our yard waste????  Wood, plant matter, etc.  Everywhere i have lived had bins for the yard waste.

#139 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

And why don't we have a bin for our yard waste????  Wood, plant matter, etc.  Everywhere i have lived had bins for the yard waste.

Saanich has the Green Bin that accepts yard trimmings.

They consist of yard and garden waste:

• Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Prunings
  • Plants
  • Branches 

http://www.saanich.c...-trimmings.html

#140 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

Yup, Saanich does, not Victoria.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users