CRD Recycling/garbage

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

#141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

Weird, hey? Why can’t grass clippings be mixed with uneaten lettuce?
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

...Why can’t grass clippings be mixed with uneaten lettuce?

Makes them harder to sell at places like Farmacy and Trees.

• sebberry, Bob Fugger and todd like this

#143 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

https://www.youtube....bed/mnIem72UOFY

#144 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

Just gotta walk it through the kitchen.

• Mike K. and sebberry like this

#145 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

One of my pet peeves in Victoria is trying to get rid of garden waste. Every few weeks we have to load up our small car with either bags or bins of prunings and drive over to Garbally Road. Does Helps expect us to do that on a bike I wonder? My friend in Ontario gets garden waste picked up at least once a month and when I investigated other places in Canada, they do likewise. Victoria has that one puny pickup around February when either not much has grown yet or it's the wrong time of year to prune certain shrubs. It's really pathetic for the "City of Gardens". We have a huge compost bin for all the grass, weeds, dead flowers etc. but shrubs grow quickly here.

• Nparker and Bob Fugger like this

#146 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

Having been responsible for setting up and executing the original food waste collection pilots in Oak Bay and View Royal back in 2007, I can tell you with some authority that source segregating organic waste leaves you more composting options on the back end.

Food waste and garden waste tend to decompose at different rates, so you need to mix a very specific (to conditions) formula of food/garden/wood waste to get an even cook on the compost.  For aerobic decomposition methods, too much garden and wood waste and your hedgerows will catch fire.  Too much food waste and it won't cook enough and you'll still have the pathogens that you're trying to cook out - plus, it stinks.  And I don't believe that you can commingle at all for anaerobic decomposition.

The reason that the City won't pickup garden waste is precisely because we are a city of avid gardeners.  Providing a service like this would be extremely costly.  It won't just be Johnny Rockland and Jenny Fernwood hauling the occasional station wagon full of weeds, prunings and leaves - you'll get commercial customers.  So instead of me paying my gardener to haul away my lawn clippings, I'll save the dosh and tell them to stuff it all into my green bin.  You're essentially subsidizing private business - that's not a comment on whether that's good or bad, it's just how it is.

• Midnightly likes this

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

No kidding. Thanks for that!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#148 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:00 PM

Why/how does Saanich do it?

#149 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Good question: unlike the rest of the CRD, Saanich sends their organics to the Fisher Road facility in Cobble Hill, rather than the transfer station at Hartland Landfill and then shipped off-Island.  Perhaps their method allows to factor in for commingling?  The other reason is that unlike Victoria, Saanich has a full-time yard waste facility at their public works yard; and the cost of allowing yard waste is more than offset by operational costs of the yard?

FUN FACT: Johnny Rockland was one of the founding members of the Tinto Rocks, until he was kicked out because his addiction to Victoria Creams spiralled out of control.  I think he's doing low budget adult films under the same handle.

#150 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

Why doesn't the City of Victoria do it, they figured out a way to get sewage to run uphill to Hartland.

#151 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

^that's the CRD that is doing that

#152 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

Langford picks up garden waste once a month if you subscribe to the service.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#153 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

The sales pitch we have gotten on recycling sure doesn't sound so rosy today. I wonder what the picture for the CRD is? I know the recycling at my condo is usually super contaminated.

https://fivethirtyei...impression=true

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

Glass recycling is literally ending for multi-unit buildings due to contamination. The CRD, however, continues its curbside pick-ups, but who knows where it’s actually ending up.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#155 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

We just bought a condo, and we were given notice that glass is no longer being picked up and that we should take the glass to recycling centres. The problem is the recycling centres only accept drinking glass containers. They said we can toss the glass into the garbage which defeats the purpose of recycling and reducing waste in the first place. I was told there is no market for recycled glass.... yet many products are packaged in glass, like pickles, oil, jam etc. These items are nearly impossible to find in plastic. 

#156 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:27 PM

I was told there is no market for recycled glass.... yet many products are packaged in glass, like pickles, oil, jam etc. These items are nearly impossible to find in plastic. 

I'm not sure from who but someone told my dad it's because it's cheaper and more environmentally friendly to make new glass than to recycle it. A quick Google search does confirm this but I'm no expert so take with a grain of salt (or sand) https://lifeusustain...-recycle-glass/

#157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

Most of the glass that is recycled is used for sandblasting purposes and as fill.

Know it all.

#158 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

The sales pitch we have gotten on recycling sure doesn't sound so rosy today. I wonder what the picture for the CRD is? I know the recycling at my condo is usually super contaminated.

https://fivethirtyei...impression=true

We're quite good apparently. There was a CRD staff report in the fall that said our recycling is pretty clean in the region and we are still finding markets where others are struggling.

• jonny likes this

#159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:58 AM

Seems odd, doesn’t it, that single family homes would practice such cleanliness while condo and apartment residents no longer qualify for the service?

Is the CRD’s recycling another aspect of the local government that needs to be independently assessed?

Know it all.

#160 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:00 AM

Condo and apartment recycling dumpsters are terrible. The amount of contamination is awful. It makes you think why bother--just send the whole works to the dump.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users