• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

NEW VICTORIA COUNCIL TO FINALIZE PAY RAISES NEXT MONTH

Nov 28, 2008

ONE OF THE FIRST TASKS FOR VICTORIA'S NEW CITY COUNCIL WILL BE APPROVING A PAY RAISE BYLAW PUT FORWARD BY THE OUTGOING COUNCIL.

VICTORIA COUNCIL GAVE THE FIRST THREE READINGS LAST NIGHT TO THE CITY'S NEW REMUNERATION BYLAW.

THE LAW CHANGES THE MAYOR'S SALARY FROM $74,458 TO $97,760 AND COUNCIL'S SALARY FROM $26,085 TO $39,104.

VICTORIA MAYOR ELECT DEAN FORTIN SAYS THE NUMBERS ARE FAIR.

“IT WAS A NON-ISSUE OUT THERE FROM THE DAY WE PUT IT ON. THERE IS NOTHING; IT WASN’T AN ISSUE ON THE DOORSTEP, AS FAR AS AN ELECTION ISSUE.”

THE BYLAW FINALIZING THE PAY CHANGES IS EXPECTED TO BE ADOPTED DECEMBER 18TH AND WOULD TAKE EFFECT IN JANUARY.

- ADAM STIRLING

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

No surprises there then.

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

Given the mayoral chair really is a full time job, an organization the size of the City of Victoria paying their CEO that much is far far below market rates.

#4 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

COUNCIL'S SALARY FROM $26,085 TO $39,104.

Now I understand why so many people ran for council. Just how many hours per week do they put in? I thought most councillors had daytime jobs as well.

I work 45 hours per week and I make less than $40,000 a year. Looks like I chose the wrong profession.

#5 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

Right, sounds great. Until you realize that that the vast majority of the meetings are in the evenings. AFAIK, few councillors of the bigger cities work full time jobs while being councillors.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

For many councillors it is a full time job and then some and they treat it as such. The problem, IMHO, is that the person who misses every second meeting gets paid the same amount as the one who attends every one.

I think that the base salary should have been set lower with a stipend for each meeting attended and committee work. That is how the "real world" works.

#7 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

I think that the base salary should have been set lower with a stipend for each meeting attended and committee work. That is how the "real world" works.

I agree that attendence should be factored into the scale. Like any paid position, failing ill health, not "showing up" is unacceptable and should not be rewarded.

#8 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

How many hours does a council position entail exactly?

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

It is hard to say - some councilors work from sun up till the wee hours. I am not sure that someone like Charlayne Thornton-Joe is ever "not" at work. Others just show up for the minimum council meetings and don't always even read the preparation material (which can be hundreds of pages for one meeting).

On top of the various council meetings are their "voluntary" chores, like showing up to fund-raisers, networking with key players in the Victoria scene, cutting ribbons, sitting on various boards and committees as liasion, showing up at community group meetings, etc.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

I agree that attendence should be factored into the scale. Like any paid position, failing ill health, not "showing up" is unacceptable and should not be rewarded.

This isn't like any paid position, and cannot be compared to one IMO.

I would have to agree with Caramia that we don't always see the untold hours voluntarily put in.

So I can't agree to the docking pay idea. Besides...what's the practice of most other councils?

#11 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

This isn't like any paid position, and cannot be compared to one IMO.

I would have to agree with Caramia that we don't always see the untold hours voluntarily put in.

So I can't agree to the docking pay idea. Besides...what's the practice of most other councils?

Sorry - I was unclear. I just meant showing up to the scheduled council meetings. The weekly ones on Thursday mornings - and the two public meetings per month on Thursday evenings.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

There's a Council meeting every Thursday. It alternates between a morning Committee of the Whole (where issues make their first appearance) and evening Council meetings (which are a bit more formal and where the public can speak on certain agenda items.)

The workload varies depending on the various voluntary tasks. For example, Chris Coleman didn't have to attend the annual general meeting of the James Bay Beckley Farm Lodge last September but it's good to know what's going on and good for visibility. Other stuff like the portfolios are mandatory. For instance there's always a Councillor at Advisory Design Panel and all the other advisory committees.

#13 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

There's a Council meeting every Thursday. It alternates between a morning Committee of the Whole (where issues make their first appearance) and evening Council meetings (which are a bit more formal and where the public can speak on certain agenda items.)

The workload varies depending on the various voluntary tasks. For example, Chris Coleman didn't have to attend the annual general meeting of the James Bay Beckley Farm Lodge last September but it's good to know what's going on and good for visibility. Other stuff like the portfolios are mandatory. For instance there's always a Councillor at Advisory Design Panel and all the other advisory committees.

----- is there a better way to track them ------------

I go here to look ....!

http://www.victoria....i/pub_sched.asp

Be-ing that it's the "Holiday-Season" ,,, I don't expect to see too much .

--- is there a better place to look ...? ----- ( other than the VV website ) ------

ted...

?

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

I do not think the new rates of pay are unreasonable, but I wish this had been done before the election.

A Victoria city councilor will put in about 1500 to 2000 hours a year. Someone that was really slacking might be able to get away with about 1000 hours, but it will show very quickly.

City councilors also have no time off when they are here. People call them in the middle of the night to complain or harass them. They are in effect on call 24/7 for their full term.

There is also no job out there where abuse by the public is part of the job description. I may not agree with some of the councilors elected, but I would never attack them in the ways so many people feel they have a right to.

You could not pay enough to have to endure the abuse someone like Dean Fortin, Pam Madoff, Chris Coleman or any of the rest have to endure.

#15 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

I agree there. As soon as someone takes on that job they become the scapegoat for a myriad of ills, only a small portion of which are their fault. Not only that, but their demeanor, illnesses, family life, the model of car they drive, and their physical appearance is all open to attack.

You couldn't pay me enough.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#16 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

I agree there. As soon as someone takes on that job they become the scapegoat for a myriad of ills, only a small portion of which are their fault. Not only that, but their demeanor, illnesses, family life, the model of car they drive, and their physical appearance is all open to attack. You couldn't pay me enough.

Yeah. I'm soooooo glad I didn't get in!!

While it was an educational experience - and losing set me back a few days - and three boxes of cherry chocolates - I'm glad to be back in my private little (safe) world.

By the way, I'm on a job search and if anyone hears of anything to do with sales/ marketing/ media/ retail sales/ or knows a family who wants a memoir book done of a grandparent (I do the interviews, writing, and book layout with captioned pictures etc) ... please let me know. Bascially I'm pretty open to anything besides being a parking commissioner or elvis impersonator or local politician.

#17 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

^
Then what would happen if you did get in?

#18 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

^
Then what would happen if you did get in?

I'd be impeached probably - and driven out of town.:)

I highly doubt I will ever try again anyway - even tho I am and will always be a political junkie. Then again, if Dion/Layton/Duceppe called - I might reconsider. But they'd better be quick.

#19 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

^
That's all well and good, but if I voted for you...I think I'd feel a little sting from that cavalier tone.
VV endorsement carries a lot of weight for me.
Either that or I'm overly cranky with this head cold. :/

#20 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

^
That's all well and good, but if I voted for you...I think I'd feel a little sting from that cavalier tone.
VV endorsement carries a lot of weight for me.
Either that or I'm overly cranky with this head cold. :/

I was just being very silly. I tend to think this is a place where I can let down my guard and be playful. But thanks for the reminder that not everyone "gets" my humour. For those who don't, please know that I was simply making light of Cara and Bernard's posts above about the negatives of serving in local office. Tongue in cheek more then cavalier.

This was a major event in my life - and I did take it very seriously.
I worked hard and hoped to get onto council, of course. I would have been as honoured to have been elected as I was to get the VV endorsement.

Sometimes humour is a good form of release. Better then crying.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users