49 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

Comedian, indeed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

I was watching CH News at 11 last night and the pre-recorded weather bit (that they make out as "live") with Gordie Tuper went blank. They came back on and Jennifer Crosby said they had lost both Gordie's mic and camera, nice try but who are they trying to fool? :roll:

I hate when they try to make stuff out as live, it really is lame.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

CH, your best source for aging newscaster snuff videos ;)

CH/CHECK/whatever is a dying horse. Must we continue beating it?

Snuff videos eh? I guess I should start watching. Still never seen a real one.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/arts/story.html?id=339cc3e7-9f23-4208-a512-9fd22f9feb5a:2989f]The new (old) name and logo will be unveiled on the 5 p.m. newscast today[/url:2989f].

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/arts/story.html?id=4b2a3fe3-e4b5-486a-bb85-0c4d626551d4:2989f]Return to old call sign honours long history CHEK has served Island for more than five decades[/url:2989f]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

Return to old call sign honours long history CHEK has served Island for more than five decades

Why are they even bothering? As if I wasn't disappointed enough when CHEK news began to mirror the contents of the Times-Colonist newspaper (so much for different viewpoints), tonight CHEK showed a promo for a new reality series called Sunset Tan. Apparently, their idea of content involves an exposé about life in a California tanning salon. Quit. Give-up. It's a race to the bottom.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:05 PM

Return to old call sign honours long history CHEK has served Island for more than five decades

Why are they even bothering? As if I wasn't disappointed enough when CHEK news began to mirror the contents of the Times-Colonist newspaper (so much for different viewpoints), tonight CHEK showed a promo for a new reality series called Sunset Tan. Apparently, their idea of content involves an exposé about life in a California tanning salon. Quit. Give-up. It's a race to the bottom.

A tan in a micro-bikini ought to look good. I'd give the series a try.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

CFAX:

LAYOFFS HIT VICTORIA TV SCENE

Nov 12, 2008

LOCAL TELEVISION IS TAKING A HIT TODAY WITH THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF 18 LAYOFFS AT CHEK-TV.

AMONG THOSE LOSING THEIR JOBS IS GENERAL MANAGER RON EBERLE.

ALSO LAID OFF ARE SOME ON AIR-PERSONNEL AND THE STATION’S COMMERCIAL PRODUCTION DEPARTMENT IS BEING SHUT DOWN PERMANENTLY.

IN TERMS OF PROGRAMMING, A SOURCE TELLS CFAX NEWS THAT SOME OF THE STATION’S FLAGSHIP 5 O’CLOCK NEWSCAST WILL ALSO BE PRE-RECORDED.

CHEK WILL ALSO TAKE OVER RESPONSIBILITY FOR AIRING NEWSCASTS FOR ITS SISTER STATION IN KELOWNA, CHBC.

OWNED BY WINNIPEG-BASED CANWEST GLOBAL, THESE CUTS IN VICTORIA COME AS PART OF A REDUCTION OF MORE THAN 200 STAFF NATIONWIDE.

ALONG WITH ITS TELEVISION NETWORK THE CHAIN ALSO OWNS DOZENS OF NEWSPAPERS ACROSS CANADA, INCLUDING THE VICTORIA TIMES COLONIST.

- MURRAY LANGDON

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

Canada-wide story:

http://canadianpress...4SdjpyBa4oUcFNg

Canwest cuts 560 jobs in financial streamlining

1 hour ago

TORONTO — Cost pressures and plunging share prices prompted Canadian publisher and broadcaster Canwest Global Communication (TSX:CGS) to cut 560 jobs - about five per cent of its global workforce - Wednesday as the company faces a rougher economy and more competition.

The company, which employs more than 9,800 people in Canada and abroad, said the cuts would save $61 million a year.

"We are implementing a number of initiatives that will provide savings that will allow us to better compete in the current economic environment, without compromising our core products and services," CEO Leonard Asper said in a statement...

#29 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

I remember it being built in Cedar Hill.
I appeared singing in a girls choir and on Club Six (Chek's answer to American Bandstand)

#30 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

Classic!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#31 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

I remember it being built in Cedar Hill.
I appeared singing in a girls choir and on Club Six (Chek's answer to American Bandstand)

----- Didn't Howe Segal get his start ( in acting ) there...? -------

I've never seen it , but didn't he have a show called Veronica's Closet ...?

" Music & Fun Stuff " for the young people in CH's viewing audience ... !

Sure , I didn't see Howe's earlier stuff... But , i did see his movie reviews...!
I'd bump into to him & his wife , prior to going down to CH ... Sometimes I'd see him filming in the streets of Victoria.

Actually I haven't seen Howe in about 6 month's. It would be interesting to hear his opinion about Check's "downer-size-ing" ...!

------ Ps , it really sucked when CH canceled their LUNCH-TIME-NEWS ...!!!!!!!!!!

not to mention , their 1-2pm "lunch-time" variety show ... Certainly some of us can remember McKailly Alverato , and the Check-Around Program...!

Per-hap's , it would be nice to hear from her,
about the NEW-CHANGES chek , is going through.

-------- bottom line ...? --------

All of the Above ,
are a reflection of what happens when a public-responsibility, becomes a business venture...!

People , we need to protest this thing as much as possible...!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW UN-GRATEFUL CAN YOU GET ....???????????????

we , the citizen's own the air-waves.

It's time we take it back from the "Free-Market" , corporate - Corney - clique's ...!!!!!!!

( ie: I wouldn't pay a nickel for CH now ... ! but, because it's part of my cable-package, they seem to get paid ) is that "free-market" ...? no , it's crony capitalism ...!!!!!

ted... ( people , we need to do some thing about this )

got any idea's ...?

:{-

mine suck , so it's up to you now ...!

( it's 9 years after the date we were all suppose to switch to digital , can this be part of the PUNISHMENT for failing to do so ...? )

#32 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

victorian fan - thanks for posting those logos, and the membership card. They form a part of local media history which might be lost in our radical shift from print/tv to the web.

When did Chek TV start? Is there some sort of archive?

#33 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

CHEK-TV signed on in 1956

There is a collection at the BC Achive, Moving Image Records.

Perhaps CHEK has it's own archive.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

CHEK was British Columbia's first private television station, signing on the air as a CBC affiliate on December 1, 1956 (the station was to have used the call letters CKTV, but changed to the present calls prior to launch). The station was originally owned by David Armstrong, who already owned local radio station CKDA. The station began to air some CTV programs in September 1963, and became a full-time CTV affiliate on January 5, 1981, when Vancouver CBC station CBUT launched repeater stations at Sooke and Mount McDonald. It was the only local television station on Vancouver Island before CHUM Limited's CIVI (''The New VI'') launched in October 2001.

http://tripatlas.com/CHEK-TV

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

I mostly lurk this site and post only rarely - but thanks to Victoria Fan for the trip down memory lane there: Bob Aylward is my dad.

I just about fell over seeing the old Club 6 membership card. Somewhere in my files I have 2-3 of them hidden away. I have many fond memories literally growing up on the TV set at the old CHEK TV site on Epsom Drive, while dad hosted C-6 every Saturday. Classic stuff....

Thanks
Rick

#36 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Aha! Another lurker out of the shadows! Glad you stuck your head out Allseeingeye! Nice work Victoriafan
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#37 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

I mostly lurk this site and post only rarely - but thanks to Victoria Fan for the trip down memory lane there: Bob Aylward is my dad.

I just about fell over seeing the old Club 6 membership card. Somewhere in my files I have 2-3 of them hidden away. I have many fond memories literally growing up on the TV set at the old CHEK TV site on Epsom Drive, while dad hosted C-6 every Saturday. Classic stuff....

Thanks
Rick

Just for you, Rick.

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

/cry

I want to learn how to dance the way they used to before the new dances froze our footwork and shunned touching. It appears I was born the year the music died.

#39 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

I don't think so, Caramia. That was February 3, 1959. ;)

#40 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

True. I guess I was born the year that the song was written about the day the music died. Way less sexy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users